No announcement yet.

Saving to purchase land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lot of good info on here. I'm 28 and have been thinking about this for awhile now.

Comment

Don't listen to the "don't get married" crowd. Just choose your wife wisely.

There are some that net add to the bottom line and some that are the same as lighting your money on fire and sticking dynamite down your pee hole and lighting the fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by BitBackShot View Post
        Don't listen to the "don't get married" crowd. Just choose your wife wisely.

There are some that net add to the bottom line and some that are the same as lighting your money on fire and sticking dynamite down your pee hole and lighting the fuse.
        This for sure! Nothing in life as good as a wife that shares your views & dreams!

Comment

[QUOTE=STGS;14021302]There is risk associated with this approach. If you leave that job for any reason, you will have to pay back that loan or pay taxes and penalties on the loan.[/QUOTE

Yes , there is risk involved with this approach...

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
              Land isn’t ever going to go down, the market may go soft at times but it will never be the price of 5, 10, or 15 years ago. They stopped making it a long time a go.
              This is right and wrong.

It's most likely correct that overall prices will not drop more than 10%

But could be wrong for bad buyers. When markets are on fire people price them too high (as much as 100% too high). The dumb buyers that over pay at the peak could potentially be down 20-50% IF (yes a big if) land values did drop 10%

If one buys smart then it's really low odds the land will drop more than 5-10% in value. If it dropped more than that without recovering in 1-3 years we'd all be in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                This for sure! Nothing in life as good as a wife that shares your views & dreams!
                Even more so when she works and lets you play at the ranch every week!

Comment

Comment

All the way through school, my drive to finish was to be able to reach my goal of buying my own place. I was able to get 108 acres a few months after graduating, then the following year purchased another 40 and was able to flip it the next year for almost double what I bought it for (when folks say I was crazy for selling, I just tell them I basically got paid to play on it for a year and kill a booner, so it was worth it ) and put that towards our home. My wife and I are currently looking to get another place and hopefully sell it down the line in a couple years, then hopefully roll over whatever we make on it to get a bigger place.
                    I'm 31 and started all this about 6 years ago. Its crazy to me how much land prices have went up in the last 13 years since I graduated high school (doubled in most areas around here). I'd only save enough until you could afford the down payment, then pull the trigger. As many have said, the longer you save, yes you will have more money in the bank to put on a place, but I'm afraid that land prices growth will outrun your savings in growth in the long run.

LOTS of good advice on this thread for sure!

Comment

Don't buy new trucks. Don't put 20" rims on your old trucks.

Comment

how to you factor in toys into the equation? Land is one thing, but tractor, shed, implements, feeders, stands, fourwheeler, infrastructure adds up quick

Comment

Great thread. Like many others on here I am a firm believer in buying property when and where you can as long as you are buying it at the right price. So many different ways to accomplish it. To me it’s kind of like buying a new bow. Different strategies are better for different people at different times. Figure out what you want, research and educate yourself, make a plan, and don’t stop working that plan until you achieve you goals, period.

I’m 38 live on 450 acres, that I hope to add another 50 acres to in the next couple of months, and am actively persueeing acreage in other states. I’m not rich, I make good money and have for over 5 years now. I manage my debit to comfortable levels, and I am not afraid to evaluate oppertunities and act on them if they are right.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AgTag23 View Post
                            how to you factor in toys into the equation? Land is one thing, but tractor, shed, implements, feeders, stands, fourwheeler, infrastructure adds up quick
                            We bought with some of that figured into the equation of what we could afford. If I had X amount for down payment etc, and needed whatever to get started we knew that we had to buy land that after the down payment we had $ left to get rolling. Some places may have some of that included already. If you have to get stuff used to make it work do that, upgrade as you get more money saved. Some stuff you need pretty quick to make it comfortable. Other stuff we did as money was saved. I just bought a tractor last spring. Had to hump it till then. Some things you can hire someone to do cheap enough till you are able to buy it own your own. We stayed in a travel trailer till last summer. Finally got to where we could get a cabin built.
                            You are on the right track. A lot of people buy land & have no idea or didn't think of associated cost of owning property.

Comment

Great thread and advice on here!

Comment

Yep. People talk about owning land, leasing is to expensive etc. I both own and lease and the annual cost of owning make leasing seem like a drop in the bucket. Fence, wells, stock needs, electric repairs etc. But it is satisfying beyond words.

Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X