Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby crib, wood working question

My wife and I are having our first Child at the end of February

In preparation I am building a crib for baby Jasper!!

I need help in finishing the wood in this crib as I am not an expert woodworker by any stretch! Attached are the pictures of the redheart beech wood I am using.

I want to preserve the redness of the wood but do not want to darling it considerably by staining it, and Tungoil takes away the red....

Any ideas?!?! Please help me find some other options that can really add to the beauty of this wood!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clear urethane

Comment

Take a scrap piece, and practice with it. I would try a clear polyurethane. Pay attention to the label, as they have satin & gloss. By a small can first, and play around with different finishes until you get the look you desire.

Comment

Look into General Finishes brand. Enduro-var water based polyurethane. Very forgiving with just a little bit of amber tint to bring out color and grain. Sand lightly with a sponge pad and wipe down with a damp rag between coats.

Comment

Definitely go with GF if you can afford it. I've tried numerous products over the yrs, and they are one of the very best.

Comment

Congrats, as someone who has made a new crib for each of his kids it is a rewarding process. Although I would caution you to be very careful in every aspect of the build for safety. Can we see some pictures of this crib? Did you read up on slat spacing and all of the regulations for cribs?

Comment

Congrats on the addition! I would echo on reading up on slat spacing and other safety precautions. I hope you post pictures of the finished product.

Comment

Following. We are expecting our first in May and I was going to make a Co-Sleeper that buts right up to the bed. Was curious about finishes and protection as well.

Comment

The best I have seen for finishes is a combo of 2 coats Murdoch's hard sealer (http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/murd...rd-sealer.html) followed by three of their floor finish (http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/murdoch-uralkyd.html).

I use these finishes pretty exclusively at this point. You may see the wood darken a touch, but it won't lose the red tones you mentioned. It also is bomb proof, without looking like plastic.

Comment

Working...
                  X