Bareshafting with weird results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bareshafting with weird results

So help me figure this one out. I put some different weight limbs on one of my bows and started the tuning process to build arrows. As always I used Stu's calculator as a starting point and came up with a combination that was within 1/2lb. I fletched three arrows to those specs and started shooting. I noticed first of all that I was getting some nock left flight, so I thought "OK, that's a weak indication so I may have to trim a little length." Just to verify I made-up three bareshafts to the same specs for comparison. I shot the three fletched arrows from 18 yards and put them in a 4" group. I then shot the bareshafts and they also landed in that 4" circle. That is supposed to tell you that you have a well tuned arrow - the problem is, the fletched arrows are coming off the bow nock left, and the bareshafts kicked practically sideways before straightening out and hitting the target. What might be going on here?

Try a smaller field point and see what happens.
    If better cut shafts

Comment

Plucking the string , maybe?
      Weak arrows tend to do that too. But your bare shafts would be hitting to the right of the fletched arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
        Plucking the string , maybe?
        Weak arrows tend to do that too. But your bare shafts would be hitting to the right of the fletched arrows.
        I thought about the possibility that it might be a form problem, because I started this tuning procedure after not having shot in several weeks. I'm not going to do anything to the arrows just yet. I'm going to shoot every day for a week or so to make sure my form is back to being consistent before I try again. (shooting a bare shaft reveals a lot of flaws!)

Comment

I am curious how the bare shafts are kicking, but "straightening out" down range. There is not much to steer them, so I am confused by what you are describing there.

Can you describe what you did to the bow first? What bow, and what weight did your switch from and to. Did you set it to the same brace height? Same old string? Did you make sure you got the correct limb on top?

Are you hearing any noise at release (ie riser contact)? Oh and did you check centerline of the string to make sure you don't have limb twist, etc?

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            I thought about the possibility that it might be a form problem, because I started this tuning procedure after not having shot in several weeks. I'm not going to do anything to the arrows just yet. I'm going to shoot every day for a week or so to make sure my form is back to being consistent before I try again. (shooting a bare shaft reveals a lot of flaws!)
            I'd go back to the old limbs and arrows and make sure you aren't seeing weird stuff on a known good combination.

Comment

The limbs are brand new from Bob Lee - I just went down a few pounds. Now that you mention strings, that may be part of the problem. I'm using a new string that was not pre-stretched and is not completely broken in yet - I keep having to adjust brace height. The bare shafts kick nock left off the bow but hit the target fairly square. No feathers to steer them but I assume all the weight up front (200gr) straightens them somewhat further downrange.

Comment

Ok - round two. I came home today and tried again, shooting 3 fletched shafts and three identical bare shafts from 18 yards.

Here is what I don't get (info different from the original post) while they all grouped OK, the fletched arrows are coming off the bow nock left and the bare shafts look to be swinging wildly nock right before hitting in the same place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Last edited by jerp; 06-08-2016, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Might be slightly stiff?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's impossible to know for sure, but I tend to agree with David, and think they may be a bit stiff.

Shoot them cock fletch in instead of out, and see how the fletched shaft behave.
                    If they straighten up, then it is highly likely they are just stiff enough to be creating contact at pass.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X