State Police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

State Police

I thought of this watching Lone Star Law other night... When our game wardens are used by Coast Guard to search ships for human smuggling or shuttle the DEA up the Trinity to bust a weed grow, is the agency somehow reimbursed? Or as sportsman who rely on GWs to enforce actual game violations lose out? Or as State Police are they spread out to enforce basically everything?

Regarding the weed bust specifically, man that was a whole lot of resources spent getting in there and chopping down the devils lettuce! It will be interesting to see if Northern California’s challenges with illegal grows on public land continue now that its legal. Or does the legalization and resulting economic effects make grows like that a thing of the past?

Finally, hats off to the GWs... I could not do it. After measuring undersized fish for a morning I think I would get grumpy.

I thought same thing. Why not just pour some gas on it and light? Why make all those trips with a helicopter to haul it off?

Comment

Welfare grants from the feds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
        I thought same thing. Why not just pour some gas on it and light? Why make all those trips with a helicopter to haul it off?
        I thought much the same. After saying that they couldn't get there except by land or water, they fly a helo in there to pick up weed. They could have hired a contractor to spray herbicide just as easily, then burned it. Too many assets tied up for a weed bust IMO, that could have been used elsewhere. Like catching the bastages growing the weed.

Comment

I must’ve missed the trinity story. Was that recent ?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
            I thought of this watching Lone Star Law other night... When our game wardens are used by Coast Guard to search ships for human smuggling or shuttle the DEA up the Trinity to bust a weed grow, is the agency somehow reimbursed? Or as sportsman who rely on GWs to enforce actual game violations lose out? Or as State Police are they spread out to enforce basically everything?

Regarding the weed bust specifically, man that was a whole lot of resources spent getting in there and chopping down the devils lettuce! It will be interesting to see if Northern California’s challenges with illegal grows on public land continue now that its legal. Or does the legalization and resulting economic effects make grows like that a thing of the past?

Finally, hats off to the GWs... I could not do it. After measuring undersized fish for a morning I think I would get grumpy.
            Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
            Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I thought much the same. After saying that they couldn't get there except by land or water, they fly a helo in there to pick up weed. They could have hired a contractor to spray herbicide just as easily, then burned it. Too many assets tied up for a weed bust IMO, that could have been used elsewhere. Like catching the bastages growing the weed.
            While certain states are allowing the legal use of marijuana it is still against federal law. Hence the reason the DEA was conducting the operation on the weed grow. LE agencies help each other out all the time when it comes to equipment and manpower, if they have it available.

Also if there is a criminal case, that evidence has to be documented and retained until it is disposed of properly otherwise that could be considered tampering with evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              they said by AIR or water....

if they could get there by land...it wouldnt had been an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                While certain states are allowing the legal use of marijuana it is still against federal law. Hence the reason the DEA was conducting the operation on the weed grow. LE agencies help each other out all the time when it comes to equipment and manpower, if they have it available.

Also if there is a criminal case, that evidence has to be documented and retained until it is disposed of properly otherwise that could be considered tampering with evidence.
                The point of my question wasn’t the legality of weed . Today it’s illegal to grow in Texas or process I totally get it so somebody has to go chop the stuff . The point was wondering about the resources . Based on your explanation I hope the DEA and the Coast Guard shows up opening weekend of dove or deer season and help our game wardens checking licenses and coolers.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                  they said by AIR or water....

if they could get there by land...it wouldnt had been an issue.
                  I guess I mis-heard that. I still don't see why all the boats and manpower involved with same was used when you could get a helo in there. I'm a simple sort of guy and some so called law enforcement is too complicated for my brain to comprehend. As far as evidence, wouldn't a dozen LEOs and a burning weed grow on video suffice ? Why no effort to catch the perps ? Waste of resources to cut the grow and not attempt to catch the growers !

Comment

The point of my question wasn’t the legality of weed . Today it’s illegal to grow in Texas or process I totally get it so somebody has to go chop the stuff . The point was wondering about the resources . Based on your explanation I hope the DEA and the Coast Guard shows up opening weekend of dove or deer season and help our game wardens checking licenses and coolers.

Ha no that won’t happen! It depends on the activity. If it is drug related, which this was obviously, there are ways the agency can get reimbursed monetarily from the feds.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                      Ha no that won’t happen! It depends on the activity. If it is drug related, which this was obviously, there are ways the agency can get reimbursed monetarily from the feds.

Sierracharlie out…
                      But that sure would be funny if a Coastie popped out of the bushes and asked if you could look into your cooler! I’m only half playing I certainly get that payback’s wouldn’t work like that. That being said it does seem that our game wardens are pulled in a lot of different directions. It gives me perhaps a renewed sense of respect .

Comment

Many of the various Agencies all work together at various capacities. For years and years agencies held onto their information and operations and it was not working very well. It was found that when an agency was working a particular case or suspects that other agencies had viable intelligence to aid them but wasn’t sharing said intelligence. By the new approach of cross work it has proven successful to pull resources and intelligence. It really is deeper than what appears on the surface.

Comment

From my experiance/what I have seen, when federal agencies leverage state and local resources they are generally paying the state/local LEOs OT money to work hours beyond their normal shifts/days off.

Comment

But that sure would be funny if a Coastie popped out of the bushes and asked if you could look into your cooler! I’m only half playing I certainly get that payback’s wouldn’t work like that. That being said it does seem that our game wardens are pulled in a lot of different directions. It gives me perhaps a renewed sense of respect .

Yeah I’d laugh my butt of if a coastie did that. I got your drift about the help coming. Yes they do get used quite a bit for other than what they were hired for but a lot of that is because of their resources they possess. Certainly earn their paycheck.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Not sure about Game Wardens but if I get to go work for the Feds I am always happy as I’m getting paid time and 1/2.

Comment

Working...
                              X