Friday tuna...Saturday swordfish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday tuna...Saturday swordfish

The weather on Friday looked good so I invited David (az2tx) and his kids (Dustin and Dylan) to go shrimp boat tuna hunting with me and my kids (Keigan and Caden) on Friday. We left the jetties to a lake and headed in the direction I had heard of some shrimp boat hanging out. Well we get to the area and see 1 and run over to it but it’s already picked up its nets and is running...so no fish there. But then we spot one more boat way off on the horizon and head that way. When we get there this boat has just put its nets back in the water and is dragging. So we start fishing and it was on. Every drift we had fish on, we had to weed through the Bonita’s to catch the tunas but all the kids had a good time getting worn out catching fish. At one point David pulled out a fly rod and Dustin caught a few Bonita on a fly, Now that was fun to watch. We finished up around 1:00 with everyone tired and the boxes full of tuna and Bonita’s (shark bait).

Saturday seas were not calm, actually it was pretty rough. So with a different crew of another friend who swordfishes with me regularly (T K) his brother (Thomas) and my 11 yr old son (caden) we headed out to the sword grounds and started fishing around 10:00. It was sloppy out there till about 1:00 but we did manage 3 bites and one hookup on a barely legal swordfish. TK hooked up the fish and knew it was small so he handed it off to my son, who at 11 yrs old hand cranked and caught his first swordfish. We had to stop fishing at 3:00 to get home before dark.

It was a great 2 days on the water with friends and kids and lots of blood on the deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a great day, nice and calm ( I don't do the rough stuff out there)
    It was the first time my boys have been offshore and they had a great time my youngest wants me to buy an offshore boat now.
    Fighting the fish on a fly rod was a bit sporty with other fish hooked up and the floor covered in blood.
    As always Ryan hanging out with you and your family is great fun

Comment

That was a good day!

Comment

Good times fellas!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Well done!!!!!

I really want a sword fish!!

Comment

Solid work my brothers. Thanks again for the shark bait Ryan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
              It was a great day, nice and calm ( I don't do the rough stuff out there)
              It was the first time my boys have been offshore and they had a great time my youngest wants me to buy an offshore boat now.
              Fighting the fish on a fly rod was a bit sporty with other fish hooked up and the floor covered in blood.
              As always Ryan hanging out with you and your family is great fun
              I may have some snapper numbers for that offshore boat...😉

Comment

That looked like lots of fun!

Comment

The rest of the story. On Thanksgiving day I was pulling my flounder/duck boat down 37 and at MM 21 I spun a hub and off came the tire when I pulled over. I'm trying to figure out what to do to find a hub or a trailer to get my boat to my place on the island.
                  I texted Chris ( Stickman ) and Ryan (Hog Smacker)

I also had a stranger pull over and offer to help, I was trying to run down a rental trailer while this guy was calling auto parts stores to find someone open. He found one and offered to go get me a hub. Didn't even ask for money to buy the parts.

Getting the hub was plan A, but other options were offered up. Hog Smacker would come and get my boat with his flatbed, Stickman was going to put his boat in the water and come get my boat, and Poco texted me and offer to pull a hub off one of his trailers and bring it to me and with Thanksgiving dinner for me and my son.

The stranger (Cero who was originally from Mexico was one of 28 kids and works offshore oil rigs) returned with the right hub so we got back on the road. When I tried to give him extra money for helping us out he refused it and said God will repay him a 100 times over for the kindness he showed us.

So I had plenty to be thankful for this weekend

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                    The rest of the story. On Thanksgiving day I was pulling my flounder/duck boat down 37 and at MM 21 I spun a hub and off came the tire when I pulled over. I'm trying to figure out what to do to find a hub or a trailer to get my boat to my place on the island.
                    I texted Chris ( Stickman ) and Ryan (Hog Smacker)

I also had a stranger pull over and offer to help, I was trying to run down a rental trailer while this guy was calling auto parts stores to find someone open. He found one and offered to go get me a hub. Didn't even ask for money to buy the parts.

Getting the hub was plan A, but other options were offered up. Hog Smacker would come and get my boat with his flatbed, Stickman was going to put his boat in the water and come get my boat, and Poco texted me and offer to pull a hub off one of his trailers and bring it to me and with Thanksgiving dinner for me and my son.

The stranger (Cero who was originally from Mexico was one of 28 kids and works offshore oil rigs) returned with the right hub so we got back on the road. When I tried to give him extra money for helping us out he refused it and said God will repay him a 100 times over for the kindness he showed us.

So I had plenty to be thankful for this weekend

Still good folks in the world!!

Which island?

Comment

nice!!

Comment

Awesome

Comment

Thanks for the report! Looks like a great time!

Comment

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                            I may have some snapper numbers for that offshore boat...😉
                            Snapper are endangered so they must be good spots since there aren’t very many left. 😂

Comment

Originally posted by froghunter View Post
                              Still good folks in the world!!

Which island?
                              Padre

Comment

Working...
                              X