Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Geoscientist's or Geologic Engineers here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Geoscientist's or Geologic Engineers here?

Do we have anybody in the field of Geoscience here on the GS? It looks like a very interesting field of work, and I'd love to hear expert opinions on what daily work life is like for one.

I have been in the Geotechnical industry for 33 plus years. I specialize in forensics of structures having issues. "Every little boys' dream is to grow up and play in dirt."

Comment

I worked with one while in Wyoming building windfarms for a summer. He said it was the type of degree where if you weren't top of your class, you wouldn't be doing many cool jobs. But that was 5 years ago. But he was, and we were using a CAT D10 to push over a rock outcrop.

Comment

Rob Neilson on here is also one. Does work for oil companies............and kills lots of critters with bow!!!

Comment

Certified Petroleum Geologist here. I've forgotten more than I know. Currently working on shallow oil prospects in the eastern shelf area.

Are you thinking about studying geology Topshot?

Comment

I've known a few, theys a strange lot, all of them I've known worked in the petroleum industry, whenever they had the chance to go to the field they spent their time digging around in the many caliche pits or rock outcroppings out here.

Comment

I'm a geophysicist, over 11 years in the industry working Deepwater Gulf of Mexico, South America, Africa, and Mediterranean. My wife is a geologist who has worked onshore USA for 11 years. If you have any specific questions shoot me a PM.

Comment

Ttt

Comment

2nd Generation geologist with 25 years experience here but spend more time working with computers and software than finding oil these days... Have worked all over the globe (67 countries visited and have lived in 6) but happy as hell to be back home in Texas and hoping to survive one more downturn...

If you go down that path, do it because you love it and not for the money... Lots of miserable kids who got into the business for the easy buck...
                  Last edited by Grimas; 02-17-2017, 07:34 PM.

Comment

Geologist here. If you go the geology route, do the exact opposite of what I did, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I work in energy management engineering currently and came across the geologic engineering field in my search for masters programs. It seems to tick many of the boxes i'm looking for in a career upgrade.

I love the outdoors and adventures, currently i sit behind a desk, inside a box w/roof, which is inside a larger box with a roof and i need to get out more.
                      I have always enjoyed geology and minerals.
                      I like the oil and gas field, it is very interesting
                      I like topography and mapping
                      I like being a good steward of our natural environment
                      I love to travel
                      I see that salaries in the field can range from 50-190k

I'll have to do some more research before i figure out the right questions to ask you guys but its good to know I have an audience here who may give some insight into what life and work is like for a geologic engineer.

Comment

If your going to go into oil and gas just remember to build up a good emergency fund. I mean 6-12 months worth. This down-cycle isn't over yet and it will not be the last one in your career.

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                        I work in energy management engineering currently and came across the geologic engineering field in my search for masters programs. It seems to tick many of the boxes i'm looking for in a career upgrade.

I love the outdoors and adventures, currently i sit behind a desk, inside a box w/roof, which is inside a larger box with a roof and i need to get out more.
                        I have always enjoyed geology and minerals.
                        I like the oil and gas field, it is very interesting
                        I like topography and mapping
                        I like being a good steward of our natural environment
                        I love to travel
                        I see that salaries in the field can range from 50-190k

I'll have to do some more research before i figure out the right questions to ask you guys but its good to know I have an audience here who may give some insight into what life and work is like for a geologic engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                          If your going to go into oil and gas just remember to build up a good emergency fund. I mean 6-12 months worth. This down-cycle isn't over yet and it will not be the last one in your career.
                          I'm interested in the O/G but I believe the value of finding good water reserves over the next 30 years will rival/surpass the O/G demand and I think it would be great to be a part of discovering new fresh water - I've always wanted to be an explorer!

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                            Geologist here. If you go the geology route, do the exact opposite of what I did, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            which was...?

Comment

In O&G now, worked for a engineering firm doing geotechnical/environmental work the first year out of school..

Looking to pursue my Master's soon as most O&G geologist know you won't make it far without one.

If you go that route I suggest you chase your Master's immediately after you complete your bachelor's.

Oh and I never knew there were so many geologists on here, that's pretty neat!!

Comment

Working...
                              X