Looking for a place to fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a place to fish

Can anybody recommend somewhere to take my son fishing around the Woodlands/Conroe? I know there is Lake Conroe, but I have no idea what area would be suitable to fish from the shore, as I no longer own a boat. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. I'm open to ponds as well. We have small ponds n the Woodlands but there seems to be more turtles than fish.
    Thanks!

Go to Lake Raven, Huntsville State Park. Good shore fishing and a few piers as well.

Comment

Lake Woodlands used to be good. Haven't been in a while. I've caught catfish, bass, crappie, etc. out of there. THe creek that runs under Research Forest into the lake is a good spot.

Comment

Thanks to you both, will check these out

Comment

What Chew said. I just got done with the two new buildings there, and one of my guys would go fish at lunch there. Good size cats and bass there, if you can run off the water turkeys.

Comment

Jesse Jones park off of 1960 has a sand beach you can fish from.

Comment

I have taken our youth group to Huntsville/Lake Raven and have done pretty well. I have caught a 10 lb bass out from there and a few small ones. You can rent canoes there as well. I like it a lot.

Comment

Subdivision ponds are fun too!

Comment

Originally posted by tbgascorer View Post
                  Go to Lake Raven, Huntsville State Park. Good shore fishing and a few piers as well.
                  Raven is a good lake, but bank fishing is pretty difficult this time of year on account of the grass/lilly pads/reeds near the shore. There are two piers available, but they aren't in ideal locations for catching fish. I'm sure you can catch a few there, but there are better options for what you're trying to do.

Lake Woodlands is a good spot. There are a lot of fish in the homefinder center pond (near Gosling and Woodlands Parkway)... The absolute best pond in The Woodlands (that I'm aware of) is on a golf course where Alden Bridge dead-ends into Cochran's Crossing. I've caught over 50 fish there in an hour.... The problem is that the golf course marshalls will run you off if they see you.

Comment

check out sunrise catfish farm in derridder la.. i know its a bit of drive but i take my kids all the time and is well worth the trip

Comment

North shore or south shore parks on Lake Woodlands are a great start. All the neighborhood ponds in and around The Woodlands hold fish. No license required catch and release only except Lake Woodlands and Bear Branch Reservoir. Another spot that hasn't been mentioned is Lake Stubblefield, lots of shore access there.

Comment

I grew up fishing and camping at stubble field. I bet the water is real high right now.

Comment

If you son is young enough get some worms and a small perch hook with a long shank, a split shot and small bobber and "Perch Jerk". My kids loved this when they were little. Take a bucket and let them play with the fish after they catch them. Small ponds are great for this.

Comment

went to Lake Woodlands, not much luck but enjoyed the time with my son regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by mg13 View Post
                              went to Lake Woodlands, not much luck but enjoyed the time with my son regardless.
                              I tried out Mystic Lake (Cochrans Crossing & Research Forest) one day after work last week... Caught three fish in about 25 minutes and then left because I was being eaten alive by mosquitos. You might give it a try!

Comment

Working...
                              X