Thoughts on lowboy trailer/needing help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 16’ lowboy trailer in very good condition and is about 4-5 years old but I have been thinking about selling it to get a 12’ lowboy that my wife can pull a little easier. I’m not worried about the Gross carrying capacity because I mainly haul a crew cab Mule. And if I need to haul anything bigger I have access to a 20’ trailer. But my question is. Should I go with single axel or duel axel on a 12’ lowboy. I had a 12’ before buying this one that had a single axel that would haul my mule, Suzuki Samurai and other stuff but just wondering if the extra two tires are worth it.
    And on a second note. What would a good asking price for mine be. 16’ extra wide with pipe top, no breaks, new tires and hideaway ramps.

Thanks

It took me a while to find my 12’ tandem axle flatbed, but I wouldn’t have it any other way. It makes 1-2 trips a year that are 3k miles round trip, 6-8 that are 600-800, and constantly used locally. My cousin has a 12’ single axle that he uses to pull the same side by side, and last year u let him borrow my trailer for one of our CO trips due to his needing tires and light wiring. When we got to CO he immediately said he was selling his and buying a tandem. He couldn’t believe how much more stable it was, and just all around better mannered. Plus the safety factor if he had a blowout. I was pulling my gooseneck, and there’s no way he could have safely kept pace with me on the single axle. It’s too squirrelly at speed IMO.

Comment

I have a single 12' I might be interested in trading with ya.
      Im in Dayton tx

Comment

Wil, there are pros and cons from my perspective... A single axle trailer if set up right will pull just fine "at speed", and is usually lighter and offers a softer ride for whatever you are hauling. I pull a 12 foot single axle a lot. I also have a dual axle trailer with ramps that I use when I'm hauling a heavier load. I personally balance the trailer to the load. The dual axle trailer will allow you to get away with less tongue weight and still pull OK, but unless it has brakes (electric or surge) it will be harder to stop with a light SUV or car. The twin axles will also likely give your load a rougher ride. If both trailers had 5,000 pound axles/suspensions, the dual axle trailer would give a MUCH stiffer ride. That could result in some instability causing the trailer to bounce around a bit if the load (or no load) is too light and the towing vehicle is a light one...

Like I said, I have both, and I use both, but for hauling my UTV, I usually hook up to the single axle trailer and use that.

Comment

Is your 16' tandem axle?

Comment

I just had a 14' single axle built to haul my ATV and SXS at the same time.

I stuck with a single axle for ease of backing up loaded or unloaded (IMO) and easier to moving around when empty.

If I could have it built over again I would insist on enough tire gap space to fit a 225 tire instead of the 205's that are on it. I put D rated Goodyears on it last week (to replace the C's pictured here), if I could squeeze 225's I could go E rated.
            I still might try once I cut the angle iron over the tire to match the fender well.

I had a blowout once on my last single axle on the way to the lease w/ Ranger & atv on board. The tire went pow, I pulled over and changed it- no drama involved even though it was a single axle (One reason I see people saying to go tandem).

BTW, There was a great deal on here on a tandem 12' last week- it might still be in the classifieds.
            Last edited by DaveC; 04-19-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              I just had a 14' single axle built to haul my ATV and SXS at the same time.

I stuck with a single axle for ease of backing up loaded or unloaded (IMO) and easier to moving around when empty.

If I could have it built over again I would insist on enough tire gap space to fit a 225 tire instead of the 205's that are on it. I put D rated Goodyears on it last week (to replace the C's pictured here), if I could squeeze 225's I could go E rated.
              I still might try once I cut the angle iron over the tire to match the fender well.

I had a blowout once on my last single axle on the way to the lease w/ Ranger & atv on board. The tire went pow, I pulled over and changed it- no drama involved even though it was a single axle (One reason I see people saying to go tandem).

BTW, There was a great deal on here on a tandem 12' last week- it might still be in the classifieds.
              If there is a spacer between the axle and leafs you may be able to swap the block for a 1” higher block and slightly larger U bolts to give the clearance needed.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                If there is a spacer between the axle and leafs you may be able to swap the block for a 1” higher block and slightly larger U bolts to give the clearance needed.
                Thanks,
                I need more GC- they put a dovetail on it I didn't ask for so now the rear sits too low for my liking.
                A spacer lift + taller tires would help that out.

Comment

i would buy a single axel 12 footer, otherwise just keep the 16' tandum. You don't have to swing any wider with a 16 foot than a 12.

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned that’s if the axles are already under the leaf springs, and not over. If they axles are over, then just flip the axles to the underside of the leafs for the most clearance. I may be doing an axle under swap on my gooseneck soon for the same reasons.

Comment

I guess I should have mentioned that’s if the axles are already under the leaf springs, and not over. If they axles are over, then just flip the axles to the underside of the leafs for the most clearance. I may be doing an axle under swap on my gooseneck soon for the same reasons.
                      Good point, I'll check it out when I get home. I just got off the phone with discount and should be able to swap tires for 225's since I've only had them 3 days now.

225's are 28" vs 27" 205's, so squeezing a 1/2" more under the fender "shouldn't" be too hard to do. I'll check the spare on my TT, if it's a 225 I'll hopefully be able to hold it next to the 205's and get quick answer on how close they'll be to rubbing. (can't mount up 5 vs 6 lug)

Wil, My last trailer and this one were built based on 72" decks.
                      (~94" outside of tire to outside of tire width wise).
                      I felt this made it track easier behind the truck- made curb rash a rare occurrence. Something to consider for better towability.
                      Not sure how wide those new Mules are though.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                        Is your 16' tandem axle?
                        It’s dual axel

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          Wil, there are pros and cons from my perspective... A single axle trailer if set up right will pull just fine "at speed", and is usually lighter and offers a softer ride for whatever you are hauling. I pull a 12 foot single axle a lot. I also have a dual axle trailer with ramps that I use when I'm hauling a heavier load. I personally balance the trailer to the load. The dual axle trailer will allow you to get away with less tongue weight and still pull OK, but unless it has brakes (electric or surge) it will be harder to stop with a light SUV or car. The twin axles will also likely give your load a rougher ride. If both trailers had 5,000 pound axles/suspensions, the dual axle trailer would give a MUCH stiffer ride. That could result in some instability causing the trailer to bounce around a bit if the load (or no load) is too light and the towing vehicle is a light one...

Like I said, I have both, and I use both, but for hauling my UTV, I usually hook up to the single axle trailer and use that.
                          Thanks, I liked pulling my last 12’ single axel trailer and I would think a singl axel would be easier on tires too.

Comment

If you are putting a Samurai on it, go dual. That is probably pretty close to the max weight of a single 3500lb axle.

Comment

Trailers are generally spring under axle so a spacer will not help. Swapping to spring over will produce over 3” if lift which will look silly IMO.

Comment

Working...
                              X