Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Exemptions on small property like wildlife or ag, how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exemptions on small property like wildlife or ag, how to?

Thinking of buying a small 30 acre spot. How would I find if the land has an ag exemption? How would I go about getting one for ag or wildlife? What exactly does it do for you and what benefits does it provide?

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
    Thinking of buying a small 30 acre spot. How would I find if the land has an ag exemption? How would I go about getting one for ag or wildlife? What exactly does it do for you and what benefits does it provide?
    Benefit is it lowers taxes! I'm purchasing 88 acres. 75% woods and 25% pasture. Woods I plan to apply for Timber Exemption and pasture AG for hay production. May look into wildlife exemption but not sure yet. Whatever I can apply for I will to lower the taxes!

Taxes will be around $150 a year rather than $2000-$3000

Go to your county appraisal office and apply.

Comment

Most times you have to either cut hay, timber, or have livestock on said property for 5 years before you can apply. Unless you are purchasing while it already holds exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhunter82 View Post
        Most times you have to either cut hay, timber, or have livestock on said property for 5 years before you can apply. Unless you are purchasing while it already holds exemption.
        Yes this is true for Wildlife

Comment

Glad my previous landowner had exemption already! Or at least I think she did with the tax rate I seen on appraisal.

Didn't know this.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Yep

Comment

I believe ag production has to be on Land 3 out of last 5 yrs. If the property has never been ag exempt you have to do the 5yr route.
              Last edited by BrandonA; 05-12-2017, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                It may vary by county, but in the ones I have dealt with, no matter what you use the land for, you will have to apply for 5 years in a row before you will be granted the exemption if the property does not already have the exemption. Wildlife is just a type of Ag exemption. To get any kind of exemption will take 5 years for a new property that does not already have it.

The first thing you should do is confirm with the current owner if the property has the exemption. If it does, get the exemption number at closing and apply immediately in your name for that exemption. You can always change the type later. Just nail down the exemption first. Depending on property location/valuation, it will save you many thousands of dollars in property taxes... It's a hassle for new property but WELL worth it in almost every case.

Comment

Should be able to look up tax info on county appraisal website if you have property info.
                  As said, needs to be currently ag appraised to convert to wildlife appraisal, but there are various ways to go ag if it isn't already. Probably a visit to the county appraisal office would be best way to get all info and options. GL.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                    It may vary by county, but in the ones I have dealt with, no matter what you use the land for, you will have to apply for 5 years in a row before you will be granted the exemption if the property does not already have the exemption..
                    I did not know this..and I suspect it maybe slightly off.

I have seen you can only switch to wildlife after being on AG with cows or hay for 5 years.

I don't believe it takes 5 years to get an AG exemption

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                      How would I find if the land has an ag exemption? How would I go about getting one for ag or wildlife? What exactly does it do for you and what benefits does it provide?
                      The county appraisal records, a lot of which are available online depending on the county, will show whether or not it has an exemption.
                      You apply for exemptions with the Appraisal District of the county the property is in.
                      The benefit is reduced tax liability.

Comment

In burleson county I know for sure the property has to be ag exempt then converted to wildlife exempt.
                        If you loose your wildlife exemption you have to apply for ag all over again and that takes 5 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                          It may vary by county, but in the ones I have dealt with, no matter what you use the land for, you will have to apply for 5 years in a row before you will be granted the exemption if the property does not already have the exemption. Wildlife is just a type of Ag exemption. To get any kind of exemption will take 5 years for a new property that does not already have it.

The first thing you should do is confirm with the current owner if the property has the exemption. If it does, get the exemption number at closing and apply immediately in your name for that exemption. You can always change the type later. Just nail down the exemption first. Depending on property location/valuation, it will save you many thousands of dollars in property taxes... It's a hassle for new property but WELL worth it in almost every case.

Charlie is right on this. You have to apply and be denied for 5 consecutive years before they will grant you a wildlife exemption.

Comment

Is there a acreage limit when getting a wildlife or ag exemption?

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                              Is there a acreage limit when getting a wildlife or ag exemption?
                              There is on wildlife, but in Hays county there is no acerage limit for Ag.. They look at your property and determine if it can sustain grazing by livestock and then tell you how many pounds of animal you have to have or that it can't be Ag exempt.

Comment

Working...
                              X