protein for low fence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

protein for low fence ?

We have a few small bucks on the land , but its a lease so its not like I can control what others do outside the 400..

I a sure its too late now but thinking about next year . Do other do this or its a massive lease or high fenced deal more so

I do on my low fence place, 313 acres but also you have to be ok with the neighbor being able to harvest a good buck on your dime. I'm getting ready to start on my 523 acre place as well.

Comment

I protein feed small low fence properties.
      Feed as much as you can afford. Dont get discouraged if youre not seeing any results at first. It takes years to see a difference on ranches with the best management programs in place....

Comment

If you can keep the coons and hogs off of it, and can afford it, it can't hurt.

Comment

The best thing to do is get to know your neighbors and see if they have any kind of management plan going on there places before you spend the money on the protein program because no matter what you feed your not gonna grow very many 130” plus 2 year olds are what ever number you want to achieve in your area !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I do. Just bought my 100 acres last year. Started protein in January and I have seen a difference. Like everyone said, only do what you can afford. If my dad gets to shoot a bigger buck because of my couple hundred spent on protein, it’s worth it to me.

Comment

We feed protein on our ranch all year that is low fence, granted it’s over 1000 acres but none the less low fence and like stated above you have to be okay with neighbors shooting bucks on your dime. I can’t tell you how many times I have been walking or driving down a fence line after a morning or evening hunt to see the neighbors driving by with a nice buck in their truck we just fed and watched for several years, It’s extremely frustrating but it is what it is. When we first started feeding protein 20 something years ago it took about 3-4 years before we started being able to noticeably tell a difference in quality in the herd. IMHO I wouldn’t not feed some sort of protein such as pellets, cotton seed, alfalfa, etc.

Comment

We feed Protien pellets and cotton seed on our 200 acres year around. Like others have said, you have to get use to the idea of passing on good young bucks with the hope they make it till the following year or two. We have had several disappear at 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 never to be seen again, but the ones that do are worth the wait.

Comment

Originally posted by hillcountryhunter View Post
                  We feed Protien pellets and cotton seed on our 200 acres year around. Like others have said, you have to get use to the idea of passing on good young bucks with the hope they make it till the following year or two. We have had several disappear at 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 never to be seen again, but the ones that do are worth the wait.

This.

Comment

We feed protein and cottenseed on our 100 acres. We are on year 6 and have seen good results. We use to see 5-6 deer a sitting with a good buck in the 110” range. 3 yeas ago I was able to take a 122” 8 pt that was 6 years old. Last year I was seeing at least 15 deer woh several bucks 4+. They seem to hang around the property more. This year I have a deer I have been watching 4-5 years now and will be in the mid 130’s.
                    We will probably feed 7,500 lbs of protein and 2,000 in cottenseed.
                    You do have to be ok with the neighbors shooting a deer you have been feeding though, but I still recommend feeding as much as you can afford.

Comment

I have fed protein on smaller low fence places for years but I’m not deluded enough to think I am “managing the herd”, or growing big bucks to shoot years later. I just think it might help the deer in the area by giving them something extra to eat. That, and I enjoy seeing what shows up on camera - protein seems to draw bucks that corn doesn’t. Who knows, maybe one of them will stroll by my stand one day.

Comment

I feed it on 120 acres. My neighbors love it and thank me every time they shoot a good buck with their rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                          I feed it on 120 acres. My neighbors love it and thank me every time they shoot a good buck with their rifles.
                          Lmao! The brutal truth!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                            I have fed protein on smaller low fence places for years but I’m not deluded enough to think I am “managing the herd”, or growing big bucks to shoot years later. I just think it might help the deer in the area by giving them something extra to eat. That, and I enjoy seeing what shows up on camera - protein seems to draw bucks that corn doesn’t. Who knows, maybe one of them will stroll by my stand one day.
                            I’ve been living this same hunting life for quite a few years now. I just love watching them grow every summer though. Depending on rain, I figure I’m about 30-45 days from the annual exodus. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I am ok with what others do , We have enough land and the land that is behind that is another 423 that is not being hunted , hope to pick that up next year .will see

But here is the avg on the place this is first year on the land so I can say I have seen bigger just not caught those on the camera .

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

Untitled by GMR Performance, on Flickr

The lack of rain out there has everything dry as a popcorn fart They are hitting the feeder very regular ,

My hog issue that I had at first seems to be gone just not seeing them at all any longer which is fine by me .

Coons well had a few of the trash pandas and two quick shots with turkey load out of the 12 ga bagged 3 of them on the last trip .

So lets talk feeders can I mix it with corn in this feeder in the pic ?? On avg sitting with the GF sons to shoot hogs we see any where from 4 to largest group at once 11 . have sat it for a total of 6 days at this point .
                              Last edited by HDWRENCH; 08-09-2018, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X