Tandem bumper pull trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tandem bumper pull trailers

Anyone ever done it? I have a 28 ft bumper pull camper and I'd like to pull my 8 ft flatbed trailer with golf cart behind it to a few places we go to often, nothing really far from the house. I keep reading mixed things on it but haven't found anything from anyone that actually does it. And maybe that means no one does it. Any help would be appreciated

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Not legal, you can put a bumper pull behind a fifth wheel in most states I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
      Not legal, you can put a bumper pull behind a fifth wheel in most states I think.
      Can you show your source where it's illegal in Texas?

Comment

Perfectly safe, if your moving from one side of your yard to the other. Tandem bumper pulls on the highway, you can end up in a rodeo real quick,

Comment

I’ve done it several times across stat lines. Don’t know if it’s legal... but thy never stopped me and a passed a few.

28’ camper and 10’ utility with 4 wheeler

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
            I think he said it was a bumper pull, not a 5th wheel.

Comment

Comment

Seems legal according to that information

Comment

I know that total length can't be more than 65' in Texas.
                  I used to pull a 36' fifth wheel toy hauler with my quads in it behind a 4 door F350 long bed truck and a Pickle fork boat behind that, Colorado to Wyoming for the weekend warrior excursions. Way over length but never got stopped.

Comment

I've done it, just don't make any sudden maneuvers.

Comment

I stand corrected, can't find anything about it other than length requirements. So pay no attention to me.

Comment

It’s legal just can’t be longer than 65’. I never did a bumper pull tandem but I did a 5th wheel/boat. 75’ total on that rig
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	9C94A75C-844C-45CC-A909-530D28A44648.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	24588407

Comment

Only thing I would be worried about, is the strength and integrity of the back tube on most campers. They were not designed to tow a heavy load.

That said, the rear “ bumper “ can, and should be reinforced to handle the added stress.

Comment

Iv pulled hundreds of bumper pull trailers tandem all over Texas, been stopped and safety inspected by several Dot's and they never batted an eye. However I do have a call with doubles and triples endorsement. I wouldn't worry doing what you want as long as everything is legal on the trailers and your not over 65 foot truck and trailers.

CDL*

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                              Only thing I would be worried about, is the strength and integrity of the back tube on most campers. They were not designed to tow a heavy load.

That said, the rear “ bumper “ can, and should be reinforced to handle the added stress.
                              200% correct. The factory bumpers ain’t made for hauling. I fabricated a receiver hitch just like one on a truck that bolted to the frame on the rv.

I wouldn’t haul a load of hay with it... but a utility trailer ain’t no sweat. Has safety chains too

Comment

Working...
                              X