I have a legit question for you folks in AR counties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
    Here we go with the "discretion" argument again.

Funny to me how a lot of y'all say "it's the law. period" as if y'all never make mistakes.

So I guess y'all would not think that writing you a ticket for going 3 mph over the speed limit is chicken***t? or if you accidentally left a 00 Buck Shotshell in the bottom of your shotshell bag and was written for possession of lead shot during duck season? I beg to differ.

I am an LEO, I have written hundreds of tickets, and I know that all LEO's have absolute discretion when it comes to Class C Misdemeanors.

To write a ticket to someone who made an honest mistake is chicken***t and always will be in my book. If a person actually tells on themselves, then they are proving they made an honest mistake IMO, and I can honestly say I would NOT write the ticket the first time I dealt with the guy.

I hate the ironfisted "everybody gets a ticket" mentality some officers/agencies have. Doesn't make for good police work IMO.

Instead of writing the guy a ticket, hacking him, his family and everyone in the community he tells off, and creating a chicken***t name for himself, he could have made a great career contact for life with a hunter who can help the GW out, show that he is a fair policeman and let his county know that he is first and foremost a community policeman and not an ironfisted ticket Nazi.

Sorry, but I would rather be "their policeman" instead of "that policeman." That's just me though.
    While I do understand the use of discretion, I also understand that sometimes there is a need to prove a point and sadly, make an example of someone. Everyone wants an exception because they think they know best. At some point they need to be reminded that they don't know best and the laws are in place for a reason.

If a person will shoot an undersized deer one year, and gets away with it, then how many more times will they do it? And if they can do it every year with no repercussions why even have the law? If they get popped for doing it, for the short term. It is a bummer, but for the long term, they won't do it again, and will shot a little more restraint.

Both arguments have merit, and it does come down to the individual officer. This one chose to enforce the existing laws rather than let them slide. And it was done on his discretion.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
      Here we go with the "discretion" argument again.

Funny to me how a lot of y'all say "it's the law. period" as if y'all never make mistakes.

So I guess y'all would not think that writing you a ticket for going 3 mph over the speed limit is chicken***t? or if you accidentally left a 00 Buck Shotshell in the bottom of your shotshell bag and was written for possession of lead shot during duck season? I beg to differ.

I am an LEO, I have written hundreds of tickets, and I know that all LEO's have absolute discretion when it comes to Class C Misdemeanors.

To write a ticket to someone who made an honest mistake is chicken***t and always will be in my book. If a person actually tells on themselves, then they are proving they made an honest mistake IMO, and I can honestly say I would NOT write the ticket the first time I dealt with the guy.

I hate the ironfisted "everybody gets a ticket" mentality some officers/agencies have. Doesn't make for good police work IMO.

Instead of writing the guy a ticket, hacking him, his family and everyone in the community he tells off, and creating a chicken***t name for himself, he could have made a great career contact for life with a hunter who can help the GW out, show that he is a fair policeman and let his county know that he is first and foremost a community policeman and not an ironfisted ticket Nazi.

Sorry, but I would rather be "their policeman" instead of "that policeman." That's just me though.
      I am glad you aren't that ahole LEO. Just pointing out, this thread is about choosing to break a law you know is enforced, its not about an accident occurring without premeditation. There is a big difference making a true mistake and asking people on an open forum would they willfully break a law because they think the law should be skirted this time you know, because they know better than the law.

OP, don't expect real answers on here.

Comment

A guy told me he shot one 11 3/4in. cost him $700. This was down around Victoria, Tx.

Comment

AR is dumb

Comment

Here is a photo of a 12 3/4" buck for reference, shot in a non-AR county, but what I use as my mental ruler when I hunt within an AR county.

The antlers were just outside the ears, but there was no way I could bend the tape to find 13".

Comment

I'd take a picture, post it on TBH.. argue about what some Low fence guy would do compared to what some high fence guy would do, debate what type of protien i was using, discuss the possibilities that it was a spike two years ago, and why rages suck.

Comment

You need to shoot the smaller ones so the bigger me have more to eat. That's what I was told

Comment

For those of you that think a mature buck will be more than 13" here is one for you. This buck is exactly 13" and you wouldn't know for sure about that unless you shot him, which I did ( I am not in an AR county). It is definitely too close to tell. He was 6.5 or 7.5 years old. This buck scored 150 2/8 Gross BC
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	bobcat big buck 1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	24400714

Name:	bobcat 12 point.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	24400715

Name:	IMG_4734 #2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	24400716

Comment

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
                    For those of you that think a mature buck will be more than 13" here is one for you. This buck is exactly 13" and you wouldn't know for sure about that unless you shot him, which I did ( I am not in an AR county). It is definitely too close to tell. He was 6.5 or 7.5 years old. This buck scored 150 2/8 Gross BC
                    [ATTACH]738798[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]738799[/ATTACH]
                    [ATTACH]738800[/ATTACH]
                    you have any better non-velvet pics of that buck?

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                      I'd take a picture, post it on TBH.. argue about what some Low fence guy would do compared to what some high fence guy would do, debate what type of protien i was using, discuss the possibilities that it was a spike two years ago, and why rages suck.

Thanks for the great laugh

Comment

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
                        [ATTACH]738798[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]738799[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH]738800[/ATTACH]
                        I think I would have shot him as well and I'm in AR area meaning I would have just taken the chance because that would have been the highest scoring buck to date, for me.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post

Comment

Here are a few more when he just started shedding velvet. I did not get another pic till I shot him in December.

Name:	PICT0016.jpg
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	24400718

Name:	PICT0136.jpg
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	24400720

Name:	IMG_4729 #2 (1037x692) (1037x692) (2).jpg
Views:	3
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	24400719

Comment

Originally posted by perfectstorm View Post
                              I am glad you aren't that ahole LEO. Just pointing out, this thread is about choosing to break a law you know is enforced, its not about an accident occurring without premeditation. There is a big difference making a true mistake and asking people on an open forum would they willfully break a law because they think the law should be skirted this time you know, because they know better than the law.
                              Noted, and I do agree.

Comment

Here's one that was 7 years old.

Comment

Working...
                                X