Rob, you got a photo of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all I can add......

Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, it's no hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"
    [focuses on Stu's sport coat]
    Jeff Spicoli: Where'd you get this jacket?
    Stu Nahan: [evasive] I got this from the network. Let me ask you a question. What's next for Jeff Spicoli?
    Jeff Spicoli: Heading over to the Australian and Hawaiian internationals, and then me and Mick are going to wing on over to London and jam with the Stones!

Comment

Surfing is a way of life .Have many good memories of surfing norteast florida in the middle of a northeaster. Fun times

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
        LOL Yes....or borderline INSANE!!!! I'm not gonna lie....I've been scared out of my mind many times.......once you get outside you have to come back in and if you opt to sit out there....it may take days before the swell drops.
        This kinda fits you more

Comment

Bullriding and surfing.....not much difference in either Will.....meaning this web site is full of em!

Comment

Every time I run across a good picture of man v. ocean's energy I think of ya Rob.

I boogie boarded in Hawaii one time. I was wondering why all the idiots were paddling 200 yards out of the way just to get to the waves. I tried to take the "short cut" and ended up almost in Japan in the rip. Hollies .........

Now that I don't smoke anymore and I am 48, I might get my second wind one day but like Snow Skiing, some love it and some hate it. I personally like the club house and my outboard.

Comment

I attempted to ride the Boogie Bahn at Schliterbahn ... does that count?

Cool stories, Rob.

Comment

Yes many times! Surfed my whole life growing up on the Santa Cruz coastline surfing Steamers, Halfmoon Bay, and S.F.'s Ocean Beach. Spent some time around Big Sur coastline, Ano Nuevo, and Turantulas as well.

Comment

I started surfing at a young age but never have I been on a wave bigger then a 12 foot face. When its time for me to check out this is the way I want to go.
                  Attached Files

Comment

"[QUOTE=AtTheWall;5778605]Danno - During my 20s I lived in Northern California...working for the Coast Guard. Not only did I drop in on a couple of waves like this......I nearly died 2 times taking heavy wipeouts on two waves....the biggest wave....we measured at about 2.5 telephone poles tall which equates to nearly somewhere between 50 - 60ft. Mavericks....Northern California.....my old Coast Guard bud Kevin Perkins and I surfed this place as well as Ano Neuvo, Steamer Lane and the Golden Gate Bridge South span. Each spot.......cold....huge....and full of Great White sharks."

Let me clarify, I quoted Rob above and added the following:
                    I've never surfed Mavericks, or Northern California, but have been all over southern Cali. Texas gets plenty big with the hurricane swells, with sizes that can match California, but not the power. For those of you that don't surf, Mavericks is one of the most intense and dangerous surfing spots in the world. My hat is off to you for surfing Mavericks. Long paddle, cold water, rocks, sharks, shifing currents- you have to know what you're doing out there for sure. Mark Foo (legendary Hawaiian big wave rider) was right at home in big waves, but the he died surfing Mavericks. The cold water gives you an ice cream headache and turns your hands and feet numb. It's like surfing on feet that feel like nubs, and paddling in a thick wetsuit is like running in sand. It wears you out quickly.

I just never know what I'm going to learn about my fellow TBH'ers. Thanks for sharing those memories.

-Peter
                    Last edited by surfin Pete; 09-06-2012, 09:35 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Here's a few photos of scenes I've surfed......each scene.....I lived nearby for several years serving - US Coast Guard which allowed me the opportunity to surf them each...as they are portrayed here.....when each was on and thumping in the best conditions. There are times I think back about these days...and wonder....why I'm still alive today?

I've been driven to the hospital 3 times....each from intense wipeouts on intense waves. Two times in California and one time in Cape Hatteras. I still wear scars on my face and head from very close calls with knocked out drowning...somehow I managed to stay conscious and connected to my board allowing me to live to surf another day.

Ano Nuevo California

Steamer Lane California

Mavericks California

Golden Gate Bridge - South Span

Ocean Beach - San Francisco

Cape Hatteras North Carolina

Assateague Island Virginia - Maryland

Comment

Thats a pretty old picture of Morro Bay... When where you stationed there?

Comment

Love it, I use to surf a long time ago. Once it got to 8ft, it was time to call it a day. I couldn't imagine being out there any bigger than that, super scary!!!!!!!!! A good 6-8ft wave will pound the crap outta you!

Comment

I attempted to surf one time in Huntington Beach. The water was way too cold and I was exhausted from just paddling out. The 5 ft waves looked giants compared to the Texas coast. I actually did stand up and ride a couple for a short time though. From that experience alone I can say you are crazy. But it sure was fun and I would love to do it again. Small waves only though.

Comment

Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[ATTACH]401299[/ATTACH]

Comment

Man those are some awsome pics

Comment

Working...
                                X