Magazine Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magazine Question

How often do you rotate you magazines in your carry handguns?

How long do you leave them full?

I've seen people on both sides of the fence as far as spring issues, and I'm just trying to see what the braintrust thinks.

Thanks.

I never rotate them. The mag in my edc Taurus PT111 has been in it 10 years at least. It gets emptied when I practice, then loaded again and carried until I practice next.

Comment

I carry and XDS 9mm.

If I'm hunting I'll put the extended mag in.
      If not I keep standard magazine in. I also keep a round chambered

Comment

What wears out springs is cycling them—i.e. loading and unloading the magazine. Keeping a magazine spring compressed or not doesn't matter. It's the cycles on the spring that matters.

LWD

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
          What wears out springs is cycling them—i.e. loading and unloading the magazine. Keeping a magazine spring compressed or not doesn't matter. It's the cycles on the spring that matters.

LWD
          Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks! Is there a rough estimate of cycles a magazine should / will last (Glock specifically)

Comment

It depends on the quality of the spring...pay attn to any changes with the strength/resistance when loading.

I also avoid loading most of my hi cap pistol mags to max capacity, especially if the last one is substantially difficult to load. My AR mags are all loaded at minus 2 to max.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post

LWD
              This. Springs fatigue from cycling, not from a constant load.

Comment

Would not recommend this but years ago had an elderly neighbor give me some 1911 magazines that her husband had owned, but he had recently passed and she did not want them. They were in a dust covered container and each magazine was loaded. She said as far as she knew they had been that way for at least 20 years. I used the loaded magazines in my 1911, functioned flawlessly

Comment

Originally posted by MIHunter View Post
                  Thats what I'm looking for. Thanks! Is there a rough estimate of cycles a magazine should / will last (Glock specifically)
                  More than the average gun owner will ever use.

If you’re concerned about it, change em once a year. That’s way overkill, but mag springs are cheap.

Comment

I rotate my cylinder every time I unload it to go into a gun show or change my hollow points out to snake shot in my carry gun

Comment

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                      Would not recommend this but years ago had an elderly neighbor give me some 1911 magazines that her husband had owned, but he had recently passed and she did not want them. They were in a dust covered container and each magazine was loaded. She said as far as she knew they had been that way for at least 20 years. I used the loaded magazines in my 1911, functioned flawlessly
                      Again...a spring under constant compression is not what causes the quick death of a spring. It's the combination of the quality of the spring & how often it is being used that causes it to deteriorate from it's initial design. I've been fortunate to have toured a couple spring factories & they are quite fascinating.

My comment about loading certain mags to max is more about making sure that first cycle is consistently fed & reliable. I don't see much of a problem on single stacks like 1911's but man, it can a booger to get the last round in some double stacks & can be asking a lot of the gun's slide spring to feed that tight round. If you have any sort of struggle, lean on it feeding reliable vs stuffing that last round into the mag.

Comment

Thanks guys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                          More than the average gun owner will ever use.

If you’re concerned about it, change em once a year. That’s way overkill, but mag springs are cheap.

Yeah if it's something you're truly concerned about then change your mag or internals out somewhat often maybe once a year. If you're someone who shoots 1k plus rounds a month out of those mags then I would keep a couple mags specifically for carry ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                            Again...a spring under constant compression is not what causes the quick death of a spring. It's the combination of the quality of the spring & how often it is being used that causes it to deteriorate from it's initial design. I've been fortunate to have toured a couple spring factories & they are quite fascinating.

My comment about loading certain mags to max is more about making sure that first cycle is consistently fed & reliable. I don't see much of a problem on single stacks like 1911's but man, it can a booger to get the last round in some double stacks & can be asking a lot of the gun's slide spring to feed that tight round. If you have any sort of struggle, lean on it feeding reliable vs stuffing that last round into the mag.
                            You need to buy an Uplula, no problem loading every round in the magazine with the uplula.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                            Lol, I didn't intend for that to sound like a commercial!
                            Last edited by Bowyer; 09-16-2018, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowyer View Post
                              You need to buy an Uplula, no problem loading every round in the magazine with the uplula.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                              Lol, I didn't intend for that to sound like a commercial!
                              Uplula make easy loading, but even the last round in hi cap Factory Glock mag makes you glad you bought the uplula. Perfect for the double stack mags.
                              I always rotate( maybe every 6 mos) magazines for the ones I keep loaded, I also keep them 2 rounds shy of full capacity.
                              With todays metalurgy, metal and steel products are the best they have ever been when it comes to high end items like gun parts. Provided reputable mfg.

Comment

Working...
                              X