No announcement yet.

Single Bevel Sharpening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try raising a burr and then polishing the burr off. I have used a leather strop to do this but I've heard a buffing wheel on a cheap bench grinder works wonders. Think I may try that next.

BTW I have the same broadheads and have no problem getting them scary shaving sharp

Comment

Maintain the factory bevel, and use very light pressure, and you'll get them shaving sharp.

It's all in learning how to use the tools you have in hand, and some tools are much better than others.

I use the cardboard wheels on a bench grinder, and I can sharpen them scary shaving sharp in usually less than a minute per head. I wouldn't trade the wheels for a barrel full of any other kind of sharpeners even though I know how to use most of them.

Rick

Comment

The bench wheels work great. Tough to take on an elk hunt though.[emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
          Maintain the factory bevel, and use very light pressure, and you'll get them shaving sharp.

It's all in learning how to use the tools you have in hand, and some tools are much better than others.

I use the cardboard wheels on a bench grinder, and I can sharpen them scary shaving sharp in usually less than a minute per head. I wouldn't trade the wheels for a barrel full of any other kind of sharpeners even though I know how to use most of them.

Rick
          Okay...maybe dumb question... but Id like to know...since Ive seen fellas mentioning whittling down 1by mdf round cut outs and mounting in grinders...shaping with chisels...then sharpening knives and broadheads...

Which direction should the wheel be turning versus the cutting edge.. Away or towards the edge?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            Okay...maybe dumb question... but Id like to know...since Ive seen fellas mentioning whittling down 1by mdf round cut outs and mounting in grinders...shaping with chisels...then sharpening knives and broadheads...

Which direction should the wheel be turning versus the cutting edge.. Away or towards the edge?

Thanks.
            Away from the edge.

Don't try using the wheels with the edge turned into them.
            The edge will bite into the wheel, and the result could be serious injury.

It's not a good idea to try to sharpen 3 blade broadheads on the wheels for that very reason. I tried it once. Never again

Thought I was steady handed enough to keep the top blade from edging into the wheel. I was wrong. It caught, slung the broadhead (Big Rothar Snuffer) right past my left ear, and buried it out of sight into the door jam 5 foot behind me. I was lucky. A little more to the right, and it would have shot it right through my head.

Rick

Comment

Dang! Got it. Thanks.

Minute 3:25
              This is how I made a paper (mdf) sharpening wheel. It works very well and with practice you can have scary sharp knives because of this simple wheel. Most of...

DIY MDF buffer wheel

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                Dang! Got it. Thanks.

Minute 3:25
                This is how I made a paper (mdf) sharpening wheel. It works very well and with practice you can have scary sharp knives because of this simple wheel. Most of...

DIY MDF buffer wheel
                The Razor Sharp wheels have increased in price considerably (about doubled) since I first started using them. Still worth every penny though in my opinion.

The MDF looks interesting, but I'm a little leery of it.
                MDF will crack, and could sling out chunks, or even disintegrate.

Another thing is heat dissipation.
                The cardboard wheels do not heat up.
                The MDF is dense enough, I suspect it might get hot, and overheat the edges causing them to loose temper/soften.

That said - I have some quality MDF laying around. I might build a wheel & try it.

Rick
                Last edited by RickBarbee; 09-13-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Ok guys, just went Fred Bear on these things with a file and strop and they are good to go, even cut the heck out of my finger doing it! Leave today for Denver

Comment

Get em.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

We've always used a large flat-file to put a bevel on them with even strokes per a side on our single bevel Grizzly's/Zwickey's. Lighter strokes as you approach the end of the set.

Comment

Working...
                      X