Too early to plant clover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too early to plant clover?

I hunt in Houston county in east Texas. My dad is wanting to plant this week before this tropical disturbance makes its way in but I’m worried it’s too early and we will get a dry spell before the season and kill it all off.
    I will be planting 3 1.5 acres plots of clover, chicory, and a light broadcasting of oats.

Any previous experience or opinions is appreciated!

Plant it What's it gonna hurt

Comment

I usually plant about a week from now, never had any issues, but we always get rain here on the coast. My problem right now is that it's too wet to plant.

Comment

I like to wait until Oct, but I couldn't resist throwing down some oats and durana clover in the light rain today just to see what will happen. I only broadcasted 1/2 acre and didn't cover since it was raining. The other clover plots will get planted in Oct to compare.

Comment

I planted 4 acres of clover this past Saturday
          Letter rip

Comment

Some of mine are planted, some are not. The plots I planted Labor Day are up already. Gonna plant the rest when it quits raining for a couple days.

Comment

I planted clover, chicory and several other seeds in Tyler county on 9/3 before the rains and went back on 9/7 and had tons of sprouts. I wanted to take advantage of the rain and I think it will pay off.

Comment

Where are y'all getting your chicory?
                And how much for a 50lbs bag?

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                  Where are y'all getting your chicory?
                  And how much for a 50lbs bag?
                  I was only able to find 1lb of chicory last week. That was at Academy.
                  So i didnt get to plant any.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                    I was only able to find 1lb of chicory last week. That was at Academy.
                    So i didnt get to plant any.
                    I checked multiple feed stores and no one had it but, they did say they could order it for me. I just went ahead and planted clover.

Comment

Perfect time right now.

Comment

The rain would've help get it germinated

Comment

I've been wiped out by army worms before, so I wait until atleast the 1st weekend of October.

Comment

We advise producers to plant around Sept 1 if possible. Yes it is hot, but September is the wettest month of late summer-early fall on average.

Comment

We’ve planted three years straight in mid September and we got killed with army worms and too many days over 90 degrees. We are planting mid October this year. It won’t be available during bow season but it should be ready to hunt in mid/late November.

Comment

Working...
                              X