Meat smoking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat smoking question

I am pretty inexperienced slow smoking meat. I mostly just grill over charcoal bricks. I've tried smoking a couple of times now but I just used charcoal. The meat ended up with a bitter taste both times. Is this because of the charcoal? Or do I need to clean out my pit? Something else? Thanks in advance guys.

You are getting some undesirable smoke, I think. The smoke should be a light blue color, not white.

Comment

I used to smoke with charcoal on my Webber all the time before I got the pellet smoker. Never had an issue. What type of charcoal are you using?

Comment

HEB charcoal briquettes with mesquite

Comment

Originally posted by Ryanm View Post
          I used to smoke with charcoal on my Webber all the time before I got the pellet smoker. Never had an issue. What type of charcoal are you using?
          How do you like your pellet smoker for brisket? Thinking of smoking one this weekend. What temp do your run and how long normally?

Comment

What kind of charcoal are you using? And do you let it burn off some before you put the meat around it?

Some folks think the initial heavy smoke is good...."the smokier the better" and that is not the case.

White smoke bad....Blue smoke good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00White-Blue-Smoke.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	24542029
            Last edited by Smart; 05-31-2018, 08:14 PM.

Comment

It is easy to over- smoke meat especially using mesquite. For example if what I am smoking takes 6 hours I will only have the mesquite chunks on for the first hour at most. The rest of the time it is just lump oak charcoal.

Comment

What oktx said, make sure you burn a clean fire and allow plenty of oxygen in to achieve this!

Comment

Yes

Comment

You can even try using a charcoal chimney with weber lighter cubes or tumbleweeds from HEB to ignite it. This will allow your charcoal to burn down and get going. After that you can add it to the pit and put you wood chunks on it.

Comment

Yup let it burna little especially if using briquettes instead of lump charcoal.

Comment

Kingsford Blue with chunks of hickory are a deadly combination in my smoker. Everything turns out awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                          How do you like your pellet smoker for brisket? Thinking of smoking one this weekend. What temp do your run and how long normally?
                          It's almost too easy and turns out great every time. Usually set it at 250 and let the meat temp tell me when it's done. I put it on at midnight and let it cook while I sleep. If it's done a little early I just leave it wrapped in the cooler until it's time to eat.

Comment

I would say your fire isn't hot enough. Also instead of using the pressed style squares of mesquite use the real charcoal. If you want mesquite they usually have one at ours with a Hispanic name. Can't remember it right now. Nothing wrong with a mesquite brisket.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
                              HEB charcoal briquettes with mesquite
                              Try using normal charcoal and wood chips. I usually fill one of the metal baskets to can buy with unlit bricks. Then take about 8 bricks and get them good and hot in the chimney before I add them to one side of the basket. This way the lit charcoal slowly ignites the unlit bricks for an even low heat. Try checking out amazingribs.com there's lots of good tips for setting everything up.

Comment

Working...
                              X