Lathe Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lathe Work

A few years ago I was blessed to have about $20-30k of wood working machines gifted to me. I use several of those weekly: table saw, joiner, drill press, router table, band saw, oscillating drum sander, etc.* However, the lathe never really got my attention until this week. It's a 1950s sears brand. Anyway, I got after it yesterday to play around. Whittled on a pine board a little then threw a chunk of mesquite on it. Man, I love it! Going to be fun knocking several of these out for Christmas gifts. I don't believe I could get $ out of what I have in them.

At the same time, Kim's uncle was in town and showed me a few tricks on how he makes wooden spoons. He makes a living with them in Idaho.*

Impressive, Trey.

That's a toy I'd like to have one day.
    Hunting Videos & Flickr Pix

Comment

Impressive! I like

Comment

Dang, those turned out really nice. Always wanted to get a lathe to mess around with, but havent pulled the trigger.

Comment

A lathe sure makes the sanding part easy!!!!

Nice work

Comment

how do you make the spoon on the lathe? That looks good.

Comment

Very nice work

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                how do you make the spoon on the lathe? That looks good.
                Wasn't clear on that. Spoons are not made on a lathe. Just threw that in there as I knocked one out while I was in the shop.

Comment

Nice work Trey! Looking forward to your other projects.

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Nice Work

Comment

Very nice work on that bowl for a novice. You got skills

Comment

Beware of the vortex. With flat work, there is normally a decent time difference between first cut to finish product. With a lathe, that time can be as little as 15 mins. Once you start making pens, razors, bottle stoppers, pepper mills, etc, etc, etc... your table saw, jointer, and the rest start looking like chores. The sense of accomplishment is rapid on the lathe.

I started with significantly less equipment, but now have 2 lathes, a mini and a full size. They get all the love in my shop. The lathe is the devil to the engineer and a saint to the ADHD mindset. I can literally change from pen to razor to pepper mill, and have 2-3 sellable goods in the matter of an hour or two.

Next up for you is a GOOD set of chisels.

BTW... PENN State industries, woodcraft, and Rockler are absolutely evil for turners. They have EVERYTHING you need to start producing round items for sell...

Comment

Very Nice.

Comment

Keep your shirt tucked in!

Comment

Working...
                              X