No announcement yet.

No brow tines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're in a unique situation with low fence MLD and zero neighboring hunters. We have a dozen buck tags and 18 doe tags for two guys (and kids). Our phylosophy now is bucks get killed unless they clearly show potential. At 2, they better at least be a little basket 8. No brows or one brow at 2 or older and it dies. It's worked well for us.

While many folks look for reasons to let a young buck live, we look for reasons to kill them. We've had a problem with nice right sides and screwed up left sides. If we see ever a hint of that starting at 1.5, dead.
    Last edited by Tex_Cattleman; 11-26-2017, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Got some better pics of him from the trail camera.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0497.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	24519766

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0500.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	24519767

These are some of the other bucks that are showing up for comparison.
      Attached Files

Comment

Smoke him.

Comment

I wouldn't want him crackin any slick heads on my place......bust him arse

Comment

I'd shoot him....

Comment

What’s your age structure like? Buck/doe ratio? Deer density? If you can’t answer these questions, you have my business culling young bucks.

Comment

Kill him

Comment

To me, it would depend on your deer density, the size of your place, and your goals. On my 217 ac. place, he probably goes in the freezer because I might as well shoot him as the neighbor.

On another place he gets shot because we have many deer and most of the bucks have good eight point frames at 2.5. Don't really want him in the pool.

On my 85 ac. home place or my lease he walks, because we don't have enough deer and maybe the neighbor WILL shoot him and be through. That way, maybe a better buck gets to live and breed.

Comment

Originally posted by 2coolforschool View Post
                    What’s your age structure like? Buck/doe ratio? Deer density? If you can’t answer these questions, you have my business culling young bucks.
                    Heavy deer density. Easy to see 10+ deer in every trip. A lot of young deer. Around a 3:1 buck:doe ratio. Been hammering the doe every year. I haven't shot a buck in 2 years and have tagged out on doe. Other hunter's have done the same with at most 1 buck if a really good one comes out otherwise all doe. This year finally have some really good bucks starting to show up.

Comment

Nope let him walk

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

I would harvest.. On our place I killed 2 browtine deficient deer a year for about 5 years.. Now we rarely see the the tineless wonders.

Comment

Sounds like you have a hard time finding mature bucks to target. Shooting a 2.5 year old isn’t going to help your recruitment. High density and 3:1 ratio of does to bucks. Seems pretty clear that y’all need to continue hammering the does.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
                            Heavy deer density. Easy to see 10+ deer in every trip. A lot of young deer. Around a 3:1 buck:doe ratio. Been hammering the doe every year. I haven't shot a buck in 2 years and have tagged out on doe. Other hunter's have done the same with at most 1 buck if a really good one comes out otherwise all doe. This year finally have some really good bucks starting to show up.
                            If you have three bucks for every doe, eat that deer, you'll never miss him. Otherwise, he's eating the same amount of whatever your feeding as a much more desirable buck. Simple, at least in my mind.

Comment

Three bucks for every doe. Doubtful. I think the OP meant three does for every buck.

Comment

Shooting that buck doesn't hurt your situation regardless of what your deer numbers etc are.

Comment

Working...
                                X