Best V8 Engine Out There?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best V8 Engine Out There?

It has been awhile since I have bought a new truck (well new to me). I'm still driving my 2005 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 Vortec engine and sitting at 242k right now...still running strong. Exterierly and interierly I have beat the snot out of this truck so time to grab something else. I will probably keep my old one for doing dirty work.

What engine have y'all had good luck with? I will probably buy used, something from 2012-2016. I would get a diesel but cant justify the maintenance cost and I hardly pull anything. Not really sold on a specific make/model so semi open there. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tundra....

Comment

get another one-IMO

2000 GMC 5.3 I bought in August 1999-is still strong I had the transmission rebuilt 2 years ago. I put new intake gaskets in myself. Paint is ruined. I'm on my third fuel pump. In 2012 rebuilt my HVAC my self and its chunkin snowballs. Pulls my boat and get me to work and the country no issues. I do my own maintenance myself plugs fuel,air,oil and filter. I love not having a payment on two 5.3's wife's 07tahoe is awesome too. I will admit the new ones have me salivating. If its totaled or catastrophic failure occurs I'm going GMC Denali HD.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hard to beat the Tundra on all accounts in the 1/2 ton market. Fuel mileage will suffer a bit compared to the others.

Ford’s 5.0 is a stout little booger.

The 5.3 in my wife’s 2015 Yukon XL will boogy as well for such a large SUV.

Ram’s Hemi is strong and they’ve come a long with with the interior design

Guess what I’m sayin is, pick your poison but Toyota generally rises above them all for longevity.
        Last edited by Sleepy; 06-09-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

they are all good to be honest

Comment

5.7l in the tundra is a beast. Fuel mileage is 13mpg at best though

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
              5.7l in the tundra is a beast. Fuel mileage is 13mpg at best though

Wow, I get 16 all day long

Comment

Ive got a 2012 Silverado with the 5.3L. About to roll 160k and its been running strong. Been a great truck overall. I do like the interior much better on the 2015 and newer Chevys though. The 2500's with the 6.0L I hear is still pretty much bullet proof as well.

Comment

Comment

I like the Tundras, never owned one though. Seriously thought about it before I bought my last truck. I’m just too brand loyal, never owned anything other than Chevy/GMC. I’m currently in a 2014 Chevy, 88,000 miles. Engine is fine, enough power and no real issues. I will caution you though if you are going to buy a 2014 Chevy/GMC, ask about the AC condenser. I’ve alreasy had to replace mine, and it’s a common issue in that year model.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                      I like the Tundras, never owned one though. Seriously thought about it before I bought my last truck. I’m just too brand loyal, never owned anything other than Chevy/GMC. I’m currently in a 2014 Chevy, 88,000 miles. Engine is fine, enough power and no real issues. I will caution you though if you are going to buy a 2014 Chevy/GMC, ask about the AC condenser. I’ve alreasy had to replace mine, and it’s a common issue in that year model.
                      And 2015! Replaced my wife’s about a month ago.

Comment

I think GM's 6.0 is one of the most reliable gassers out there...my tranny crapped out with 335k miles & engine was still going strong.

Comment

5.4 Triton

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                            Wow, I get 16 all day long
                            Not in ours. We did have slightly bigger tires, but not 3mpg less bigger. If you get 16 I would hold onto that truck.

Comment

Dodge ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi. Gettin 20mpg avg. Lots of power and no issues. As with anything depends on how you take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X