Recurve expert needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve expert needed

? is can I put fast flight string on old bow.

I personally wouldn't chance it. That being said, I've never been one to push the envelope. More daring archers will be along soon to chime in. Bisch, paging Mr. Bisch.

Comment

If the bow has phenolic tips than you can put fast flight string on it but personally the gain in speed is not worth the wear and tear on the bow old bow need that coushion of that thicker stringer to absorb the shock of being loosed think of it like this heavy string tuned arrow good to go light string light arrow you might as well be dry firing the BOW it's going to put too much stress on the BoW itself when it snaps back into position

Comment

I wouldn't. You might get by with it but the old bows were not designed for modern no stretch strings.

Comment

What they said. For the amount of speed increase (usually <5 fps) it is not worth the risk. Plus Dacron is much more quiet than the FF strings.

Comment

What little john said - if you decide you want to chance it use Fast Flight + - it still has a little bit of give to it and is less likely to damage the bow.

Comment

I've shot FF strings on vintage bows and bows not approved for FF for years with no ill effects......use whatever string material you want and pad the loops to 18-20 strands. I'm not advising you to do it, just saying that I've done it many times and never had anything bad happen.
              I don't use FF on those bows to gain speed, but a good FF string will often times make the bow quieter and eliminate any limb vibration.....UMMV

Comment

I wouldn't do it either, because of all the reasons already mentioned.

Comment

Like Billy Shipp, I have used low stretch ff, Dyna 97,TS1 etc. on many vintage bows. 1957 Kodiaks, 61 Polars,62 Kodiak Specials and others for over 10 years with no ill effects. That being said I have several bows I wont use it on because of delicate tip overlays or just because with some ff was louder for some reason. The advantages of ff, about 6 fps faster which is about like shooting a bow 4lbs heavier, strings last much longer and stretch less on very hot days, less limb vibration which is very noticeable on some bows and easier on my delicate shoulder especially on my osage selfbows. What bow are you thinking of using it on? Pictures of tips ? The shape of the tip is important smooth tear drop shape with no corners so stress is distributed evenly. Also the strings I used were flemish twist with the loops padded with extra strands. This is just my experience and I had many bows before I was willing to try ff on one I was willing to experiment with.

Comment

Thanks to all.

Comment

B50, and no worries.

Comment

I wouldn't. Older bow, I'd stick with dacron.

Comment

No

Comment

Some really good answers, so I'll just add my "I wouldn't".

Comment

Working...
                            X