Two Fletching Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Fletching Arrows

I'm trying 2 fletching arrows in stead of 3 or 4 fletching.

I did it on one arrow to start just to see how it would work. My 2 fletch arrow seems to fly straighter and flatter that all of my others and also it seems to hit the target straighter and penetrate deeper.

Has anyone else out there shooting traditional archery experienced anything similar or something different.

Let us all know
    Bulletpusher

Navajo Indians used a two fletched arrow. They used a whole feather on the top and bottom of the shaft and tied on with senew. I have a couple at home, pretty neat. If it works, do it. I have no personal experience with two fletched arrows. I bet it makes the arrow a little bit weaker since there is less weight on the back of the arrow.

Comment

So would you nock them completely vertical?

Comment

Not Vertical

reddogdan,

They are not vertical, with my fletcher you use the 4-fletch parts and the set them 180 off from each other. That puts the fletching at close to a 45° tilt to the right on top and 45° to the left on the bottom (at the shelf).

This seams to clear the riser very quickly with very little upset to the arrow on release.

The first one that I did, was with 2ea 4" parabolic fetchings, my oldest son has 2-fletched a bunch of arrows with 5" shield cut. He has not had a chance to shoot them yet due to weather and some illness.

I've got some new 5" shield cuts feathers coming from Sagittarius and I'm going to give them a try.

Bulletpusher

Comment

In the early 70's I was in a bow hunting club. There were only 12 members. We tried to build our arrows as cheaply as possible so we didn't care if we lost them and could take shots even if we knew we would lose them.

We would each buy one or two hundred shafts at a time so we could get them at 5 cents a shaft. Nocks were a penny and points were .38 pistol brass. The big expense was the feathers which were around 3 to 5 cents but you needed 3 of them.

Almost all of us 2 fletched and a couple even 1 fletched. The 2 fletch would work well with almost any small game point but just was not reliable for stabilizing broadheads. I have fletched hundreds and shot thousands of 2 fletched arrows but I use 3 fletch today. So while I would tell you that it most likely won't work for broad heads, I would also tell you to experiment with it because it is so much fun and you will be smarter about arrows and fletching after you do. Good luck with it.

Comment

I will try my 2-blade 100grn and 125grn broad heads after I've 2-fletched some of the 5" shield cut feathers. I've killed most of the small game I've shot with Judo, Hammer and Flat Steel Blunt heads. I even killed a racoon with a combo point because thats all I had at the time.

I've used the 2-fletched (w/4" parabolic's) and the hammer point to kill alot of small game. I can only hope that they will work with the 5" shield cuts as well.

I've used the 2-blade broad heads for the deer, hogs and other bigger critters, but small game is where the fun and most of the meat for the table comes from.

I don't plan on converting all of the shafts to 2-fletch, I'll convert some of the one that need new fletchings and then see what the result is. If the hold up to what I think they should then as the others wear out and need refletching I will do some more.

Bulletpusher

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
              In the early 70's I was in a bow hunting club. There were only 12 members. We tried to build our arrows as cheaply as possible so we didn't care if we lost them and could take shots even if we knew we would lose them.

We would each buy one or two hundred shafts at a time so we could get them at 5 cents a shaft. Nocks were a penny and points were .38 pistol brass. The big expense was the feathers which were around 3 to 5 cents but you needed 3 of them.

Almost all of us 2 fletched and a couple even 1 fletched. The 2 fletch would work well with almost any small game point but just was not reliable for stabilizing broadheads. I have fletched hundreds and shot thousands of 2 fletched arrows but I use 3 fletch today. So while I would tell you that it most likely won't work for broad heads, I would also tell you to experiment with it because it is so much fun and you will be smarter about arrows and fletching after you do. Good luck with it.
              ^^^ This ^^^

but I'll add a few things.

(1) 2 fletch will stabilize broadheads just fine, but it usually takes a larger fletch size to accomplish it, so in the end you have just as much fletching air resistance surface as with a shorter 3 fletch.

(2) If you are going to be using these arrows for competition, some organizations require 3 fletch, and at least 4" each.

(3) You can achieve the exact same fletch clearance that your current 2 fletch orientation is giving you with 3 fletch by shooting cock feather in at 3 O'clock

Rick

Comment

i prefer em to any other..quiter..seem faster..i love em so much it stinks.
                Attached Files

Comment

lol wrong pic..1 Mo Time
                  Attached Files

Comment

I used 2 fletch on some primitive arrow I make. Just for looks, but they seem to fly just as well as the 3 fletch.

Arkie

Comment

I shoot two fletched 5" turkey feathers rt wing helical. I have excellent flight as long as do my part because my form tends to suffer from lack of shooting like I should with 60# bows. Also that's with 2 blade 200gr Viking Broadhead. Was not a believer tell I tried it. They group with my bare shafts. I am talking only out to 25 to 30 yards though.

Comment

after reading about the 2 fletch arrows i got curious.
                        Had 2 of my arrows that needed a refletching anyways so cut the 3 x4" away and put on 2x4" with a slight helica.

Ill head to the rang in an hour or so to do some testing.

Looking forward to it. sounds very interesting!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Shortly after the movie Avatar came out, I watched a guy from Oklahoma and his wife both shoot a competition with 2 fletch arrows he had made for them. He used either 5" for 5 1/2" parabolic cut feathers. He was a very good shot and even gave the compound shooters a run for their money.

Comment

DRACO was it T C B ?

Comment

That was it.

Comment

Working...
                              X