Need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help

Looking to buy this lens. It looks like there are some spots on the lens from what I can tell in the photo. Overall it looks clean but not sure about the glass. I did pull out my lens' and they dont have any of those spots like the ones in the photos.
    Any thoughts about it.
    Billions of happy photos, millions of passionate customers. Gorgeous online photo albums. Protect your priceless memories. Buy beautiful prints & gifts.

If you have any doubts, I wouldn't buy it. Might ask the seller- it could be a refelction. 70-200s come up quite often in classifieds so unless it is a screaming deal, I would pass if you are unsure of the condition.

Comment

I have that lens and I treat it like my child. I'm sure that is just an oil or dirt spot, but that is still not good upkeep when you pay that much money for glass.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
        I have that lens and I treat it like my child. I'm sure that is just an oil or dirt spot, but that is still not good upkeep when you pay that much money for glass.
        Ditto Hillary's comments. This lens is my workhorse, go to 80% of the time lens and it never lets me down. There are too many "like new" condition lenses on the market to settle for a problem child. To spend the money you will on a used lens, don't settle, make sure it is exactly what you want!

By the way, you will love this lens!!!

Comment

I talked to the guy and he seems like an honest guy, he said it is just dust spots and that he doesn't wipe the lens a whole lot and he believes that doing so repetatively can damage the coatings on them. He assures me it is 100% clean glass. He is asking 1250.00 for it and he is the second owner, it is the VRI model. If the glass is clean is this a good deal or not?

I was thinking that for close to the same money I would get the 300m f/4 afs new from B&H.
          Thanks for everyones help so far I really do appreciate it.
          Last edited by iamntxhunter; 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM.

Comment

VR is worth a lot, as is the short side of that lens for portraits IMHO. The 70-200 is at the top of my list, but wont happen for a while.

Comment

Gary if you want good wildlife images, get the 300 f4. add a 1.7 teleconverter, bump the ISO to get 1/500 or faster and you are good to go.

But I need to know ASAP, since I have about 6 others in line for the lens.

Comment

I have decided to go with the 300mm AF-S f/4 brand new for $100.00 more from B&H Photo. Thanks Bryan for even helping me decide and not pushing your lens since it was for sale. Thumbs up to you for that.

Comment

If the lens is clean as he says it is, $1250 is a good deal, especially with the slowdown of product coming out of Japan with the disaster they are dealing with right now. Camera gear prices, especially Nikon and Canon have spiked due to the disaster.

I have this lens and also use a Nikon TC17E II teleconverter on it which makes the lens a 340 mm F4.7 at the top end. Personally, I would go with this set up over the 300 F4. Just my 2 cents worth.

Comment

^^ That's exactly what I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X