Headed to Colorado and need some boots...Danner vs Irish Setter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headed to Colorado and need some boots...Danner vs Irish Setter

Going to do an Elk Hunt at the end of October in Southern Colorado and want to get some advice on sub 200$ boots. We will be truck camping and possibly doing some overnight backpacking if we can't find them close. I've narrowed it down to Danner 400g Pronghorns and Irish Setter Vaptrek 400gs. Any thoughts out there? Do either of them translate back to bowhunting the Hill Country? I know they won't be outstanding at that price point but just looking for the better of the two. Appreciate the tips on other budget gear as well. I'm not shooting this year, just glassing and packing.

I bought some Danner High Ground boots for an elk hunt 4 years ago and they were very comfortable. Still wearing them (3 elk hunts plus deer seasons).

Comment

I like my danners but the most comfortable hunting boots I ever owned where a pair of IS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just got back from an archery elk hunt in NM and wore my Danner Pronghorns. Loved them. Held up well to rocks, rain, mud, etc.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and get non insulated boots.
          With your budget I would look at the lowa renegade or something similar made by asolo, vasque or Solomon. Use socks for insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Decide on a paid quick if your going to be putting a bunch of miles on them. And start getting them broke in now.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have only had one pair of Irish Setters, a pair of their snake boots, but they ruined me to the brand. The soles started coming off halfway through their first deer season.

Whatever you decide, I would hurry and get them in so that you can start breaking them in. Your feet will thank you.

Comment

Salaman boots. I used them this year and they were great.

Comment

Originally posted by texasproud11 View Post
                  Going to do an Elk Hunt at the end of October in Southern Colorado and want to get some advice on sub 200$ boots. We will be truck camping and possibly doing some overnight backpacking if we can't find them close. I've narrowed it down to Danner 400g Pronghorns and Irish Setter Vaptrek 400gs. Any thoughts out there? Do either of them translate back to bowhunting the Hill Country? I know they won't be outstanding at that price point but just looking for the better of the two. Appreciate the tips on other budget gear as well. I'm not shooting this year, just glassing and packing.
                  I too was on a budget for a hunt, and bought a lightly used pair of Salomon 4D Quest on e-day for less than $100. Saved a ton of money and they are by far the best hiking boots I've ever owned.

Comment

Id get some Lowa Renegades before getting either of those boots.

And you should have been breaking in your elk boots months ago!

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

I know but it all came together last minute 😩

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                        Do yourself a favor and get non insulated boots.
                        With your budget I would look at the lowa renegade or something similar made by asolo, vasque or Solomon. Use socks for insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I'm pretty wary of freezing my toes off. Is the non insulated going to make it more difficult to keep my feet warm or do the socks do just as good?

Comment

I had both. Danner non-insulated now. Liked them so much I bought another pair to keep in box until these are gone. I climb a lot and not much time to get cold in 1st 3 Colo seasons.

The IS I have are heavy insulated and I like them too. I'd buy them again, but I just don't need to wear them as much. They are my 3rd and 4th season boots when needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin' Darts View Post

Were you wearing Lowas when you killed that monster in your profile pic. Need some of that luck to rub off on me if so

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                              I had both. Danner non-insulated now. Liked them so much I bought another pair to keep in box until these are gone. I climb a lot and not much time to get cold in 1st 3 Colo seasons.

The IS I have are heavy insulated and I like them too. I'd buy them again, but I just don't need to wear them as much. They are my 3rd and 4th season boots when needed.
                              How are you keeping your feet warm with the uninsulated if it drops temps? Specific socks?

Comment

Working...
                              X