The never ending broadhead question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The never ending broadhead question..

G5 Tekan or the new T3. I've been shooting Slick Tricks, but would like to try a mechanical. Anyone have experience with either? Thanks

I've heard that G5s dont stay sharp as long as others. Thats all I know about those two specifics, but I shoot Rage three blades and they work awesome. Just got em last season, two deer shot and recovered in less than 50 yds.

Comment

I shot the Tekkan 2 and really liked them. I was thinking of trying the Tekkan 3 this year just to see if they are better. Shot 2 with the Tekkan2 and recovered both in less than 30 yards(one DL and one spine). I switched to ST magnums and never had a chance to take the safety off my bow all season. Never shot the Rage, and probably never will, but a lot of folks kill a lot of animals with them every year!!

Comment

i shot the tekan II for 2 seasons up until the past 2 (just wanted to try the rage). i would go back to the tekan if i was to change again. the only thing that bothered me about the tekan was after sitting on stand in a light rain/sprinkle some moisture got in there around the blades on the arrow i had nocked. no shot for 2 weeks but sitting around camp i wanted to check the heads and the o-rings. the blades were locked in with a little surface rust. i had to use the back side of my knife blade to tap them loose. i doubt they would have opened on hide/muscle contact.

ive read that someone said you could keep a LIGHT coat of string wax or even peanut oil on them to prevent this surface rust from happening
        Last edited by red; 03-05-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

One thing you will find out asking these questions, is who shoots them. Every once in a while you wil hear the "never shoot them again", and the reason. I am not a big fan of mechanicals, they fail!! Say what you want, but the highest score of lost deer in percentage is with mechanicals. The bh you are using is one of the best. Some of the game ranches and some states have outlawed the mech. head. When I lived in Alaska, one of the hunters shot a black bear with one, no blood, and no pass thru. This was one of many that he shot, and filmed. We looked at the film and the shot was perfect. I was one the steering committee that had to find proof on the quality of the mech. head. After we found that another group had done the same, with this results: 15 hogs shot-9 lost with no blood trail. The F & G department put it in the regs, no mech. heads. Now the mech. heads have improved but I will not take that chance!

Comment

I will try the new T3 when it becomes available. I like the fact that the new T3 doesn't have O-rings to hold the blades in. Should be a plus compared to the rage 3blades which is what I have been shooting with no problems.

Comment

Not a Mechanical broadhead guy haven't had any success with them at all however I do like the G5 products though. I am a true believer in fixed blades they are easier to resharpen and they don't fail on impact. There is so many things that could go wrong with a mechanical. Good luck to u on your choice.

Comment

stick with the magnus buzz cut

Comment

had really good luck with both g5s and rage three blades boyh are very accurate but ive got to say unless u like tracking alot the rages are by far the bigger hole digger they are just nasty good luck let me know how u like either

Comment

Good sharp fixed blade in the boiler room works everytime!

Comment

The new T3's look awesome. I use the G5 Striker, and just have never wanted to use mechanicals, but if i was going to try one it would be the T3

Comment

Rage

The rage 2 blades are the way to go. I have been shooting them for 2 seasons and have had no problems with them. They also leave such a large blood trail.

Comment

I would stick with the Slick Tricks. Great broadhead and I am not a mechanical fan. Fixed IMO are a better choice. Blades cheaper to replace and don't have any o rings or don't have to worry bout them opening before impact and get better penetration at least from what i have seen. I am sure everyone has there likes and dislikes with mechanical but fixed one is the way to go. Good luck.

Comment

T3's do look good.

Comment

My experience with the G5s is that they were not sharp and also hard to sharpen. Went with the T-locks and haven't looked back.

Comment

Working...
                              X