A Cooler thread _ NOT who's the best

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Cooler thread _ NOT who's the best

I think we can all agree that coleman, Igloo and the other "regular" cooler makers are all just about the same level of quality/durability. If I need a 45 quart beer cooler for the weekend I walk into walmart and buy the one that is on sale for 15.99 because they are all pretty much the same.

My question is:
    Are we almost there with the roto-molded coolers? One may have nicer handles or a better drain but pretty much they are getting to be all the same.
    If you break it all down how much different is the Yeti vs Brute vs the new Igloo? They are all three tough as nails, all hold ice longer than the traditional coolers.

Should we see these coolers selling for 99 dollars for a 50 quart within the next 3 or 4 years?

PLEASE dont tell me they are not all the same, that yeti has better this or brute has better that.... I'm conceding that each has one or more better "function points" than the other.
    What I'm saying is that they are basically the same - Rotomolded, tough as nails and hold ice well.

I think they will go down after the new wears off a little. At least I hope they do.

Comment

They are not all the same, that yeti has better this and the brute has better that.

Comment

Mathews, Bear, Hoyt, and Bowtech all kill deer effectively

Comment

Maybe if the roto molding process becomes more efficient or materials drop in price they will go down. But since people are willingly paying the high price now, why drop it? Even if there are 50 makers, it has been proven that people will buy them at inflated prices. Because it is way more important to keep a couple of 2.50 cents bags of ice frozen for a week, rather than buy 100 more for the price of the cooler.

Comment

yeti, brute, grizzly, pelican, all look the same to me, just a matter of time before they come down.

Comment

Nothing goes down in price these days.

Comment

My guess would be that it's the materials cost, and manufacturing process that keeps the rotomolded cooler prices high. Rotomolded coolers also weigh more, shipping costs from the manufacturing facility are probably significantly higher.

A 60% reduction in the sales price would inevitably mean finding a way to lower the production cost, i.e. - coolers manufactured in China, or a reduction in the amount of materials used in the manufacturing process. Brute coolers have less insulation than other coolers; their costs are lower, and so are their prices. No slam on Brute, their coolers are nice, it's just a trade-off.

Increasing demand may help to slightly lower prices; with a higher volume of sales, lower margins become more acceptable. I think the high prices will be here for a while.

My family gave me a rotomolded cooler for Father's Day a couple of years ago. I had previously decided I would never pay the ridiculous prices associated with rotomolded coolers. Well, I hate to admit it, but I've already purchased a smaller 20 qt cooler, and will probably buy a 150 qt in the near future. Once you own one, it's hard to go back.

Comment

I remember how much my parents paid for our first microwave and VCR.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                    Maybe if the roto molding process becomes more efficient or materials drop in price they will go down. But since people are willingly paying the high price now, why drop it? Even if there are 50 makers, it has been proven that people will buy them at inflated prices. Because it is way more important to keep a couple of 2.50 cents bags of ice frozen for a week, rather than buy 100 more for the price of the cooler.
                    ^^^

Comment

to the OP question, not likely, unless the market changes.

Take the big name sunglasses for example, they do not go down in price either. According to the documentory I saw last week, a majority of them are made by the same company and the price to make is about $30.00, then sell for $80-$5000.

Buying either of the rotomolded cooler or highend eyewear is not like buying an Igloo and the Berkley Polorized fishing shades at Walmart. Neither of the latter will last as long or wear as well.

Comment

I wonder which one will keep your coconut water the coldest?

Comment

Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
                          I wonder which one will keep your coconut water the coldest?
                          I'm done with that crap! (See what I did there?)

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            They are not all the same, that yeti has better this and the brute has better that.
                            Aw man! I even said please.....

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
                              Mathews, Bear, Hoyt, and Bowtech all kill deer effectively
                              Thats kinda of what I'm getting at. The base model of all those are about the same price, the top model of each is about the same price.

Originally posted by x1jett View Post
                              My guess would be that it's the materials cost, and manufacturing process that keeps the rotomolded cooler prices high. Rotomolded coolers also weigh more, shipping costs from the manufacturing facility are probably significantly higher.

A 60% reduction in the sales price would inevitably mean finding a way to lower the production cost, i.e. - coolers manufactured in China, or a reduction in the amount of materials used in the manufacturing process. Brute coolers have less insulation than other coolers; their costs are lower, and so are their prices. No slam on Brute, their coolers are nice, it's just a trade-off.

Increasing demand may help to slightly lower prices; with a higher volume of sales, lower margins become more acceptable. I think the high prices will be here for a while.
                              Good point. I didnt think about shipping costs, etc...

Originally posted by ty729 View Post
                              I remember how much my parents paid for our first microwave and VCR.
                              Yeah, the roto coolers are still "new" in general. I think my parents paid about 300 dollars for our first VCR in the 80's. Now even DVD players are under 50 bucks.

As more and more people get into the game these coolers should become normal instead of special and the prices will drop.... hopefully.

Comment

Working...
                              X