No announcement yet.

PVC tubes for ice chests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please, do explain the science behind this, so our brothers have a better educational understanding.

Thanks,
    Electro-metallic Fusionist

Comment

You can't explain science.
      Either you get it or you don't.

Nobody explained it to Isaac Newton. The Apple fell on his head and then he knew science.

Ben Franklin flew a kite in the thunderstorm. Boom, science happened.

Comment

Originally posted by boomerball View Post
        it all depends what you want the freezing point of the ice to be. I just kind of wing it, but probably get them ~27F typically now. ratio of salted ice to regular ice to other contents as well as temp of the ice and other contents when they go in will all factor in to whether or not you freeze your stuff.
        Thank you for the info. I have made two already and got enough caps for an additional 4. At a foot long I found that three of the two inch pvc pipes fit perfect in a Yeti roadie... I made mine with two cups of water and four table spoons of salt for each pipe. At that ratio the water was still sluchy after a complete night in the freezer. I cranked down the temp a bit and will see if they will freeze completely. Have not tested them at the colder temp yet.

The initial test with the two pipes was better than I expected. I loaded the yeti with four bottles of water out of the fridge and added two room temp. bottles. I drank water through out the day saving the bottles that started of warm for last. After twelve hours the first of the warm bottle waters was very cold. After about 22 hours the last bottle of water was still very cool/cold. More importantly while the pvc pipes sweated a bit there was no visible water on the bottom of the cooler.

All in all I would not use this to keep beer cold but it's a great way to keep water and lunch cooled down without having to use ice.
        Last edited by Pedernal; 03-04-2018, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
          You can't explain science.
          Either you get it or you don't.

Nobody explained it to Isaac Newton. The Apple fell on his head and then he knew science.

Ben Franklin flew a kite in the thunderstorm. Boom, science happened.
          OK,....

Comment

Adding salt to water in order to lower the freezing point is not necessarily a gain because it reduces the specific heat, or the amount of energy required to increase the mass of a substance 1° C.

In essence, salt water, while initially at a lower temperature, melts faster than pure water.

I'm no physicist so I'm probably butchering the definitions but it's worth pondering.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
              Please, do explain the science behind this, so our brothers have a better educational understanding.

Thanks,
              Electro-metallic Fusionist

I’d love to hear it as well. The idea of “dissolving” ice in water is hilarious...

I’m less entertained, and far more intrigued, by the notion that this action somehow produces salt on the outside of the vessel.

I’m never buying salt again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

So, can you freeze salt ?

Comment

Originally posted by TP3 View Post
                  Obviously not everyone on here understands science.
                  Please add grammar and punctuation to your list.

Comment

The PVC is a very good insulator ,so it would stay frozen longer but the cooling efficiency would be terrible ( it would take too long to cool the box down) . The plastic soda bottles are thin walled and would probably be a wiser choice.

Comment

Originally posted by TWarren View Post
                      Adding salt to water in order to lower the freezing point is not necessarily a gain because it reduces the specific heat, or the amount of energy required to increase the mass of a substance 1° C.

In essence, salt water, while initially at a lower temperature, melts faster than pure water.

I'm no physicist so I'm probably butchering the definitions but it's worth pondering.
                      you are correct that specific heat is energy required to raise the temp by 1C. any handy reference on how much it impacts the specific heat? this certainly could mess with how long your stuff stays below a certain temp....

the other important quantity in this thing is "heat of fusion", which is energy required to undergo the solid to liquid phase transition. this is what determines how fast it will melt. the ice will sit right at it's feeezing point until it completely melts, thus absorbing the heat of fusion. salt may have same effect of lowering the heat of fusion, or may not, I don't know and don't remember easily googling up a reference.

Comment

I've been using saltwater in PVC tubes for a few years and I really like them. I use them as a way to chill the inside of my coolers before I add drinks, food and ice. It has helped cut down a little on the amount of ice I need to purchase for weekend hunting trips or beach trips.
                        I keep the PVC tubes in my chest freezer until I need them. Place them in my coolers the night before, put the PVC tubes back in the chest freezer and then fill the coolers with what I need to keep cool and add ice.

Comment

I thought if you owned a yeti, they made ice for themselves.. rendering these ice poles useless... or will the yeti ice recreate itself into perpetual ice tubes? wonder how long before Yeti picks this idea up and charges $50 per tube.

Comment

I wondered why this thread was still active.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                              Pink himalayan salt, or sea salt?
                              Venezuelan Beaver Salt

Comment

This thread is still alive because everyone loves science.

Haven't yall noticed the salt on the roads and bridges on cold mornings? That is ice salt. It is formed by already dissolved water freezing below the surface. Same principle as the pvc pipes.

Comment

Working...
                                X