Question on registering trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on registering trailer

Found a decent deal on a gooseneck livestock trailer. Totally rebuilt. Only thing is no title. I have an ag exemption and will title as a farm trailer. How hard will it be without a title?

The only correct answer is....

It will vary between counties. Ask the lady at the tax office. They will tell you.

Regards, bought farm trailer in harris,live in Montgomery registered in houston.

If possible get the current owner to tag along

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Could it be registered as a homemade trailer?

Comment

Not sure. Never done that before. This is the first used trailer I’ve looked at purchasing

Comment

Can be as easy or hard as the lady at the window wants it to be. That’s been my experience with them.

Comment

Why no title? Is it stolen?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter_Man View Post
              Found a decent deal on a gooseneck livestock trailer. Totally rebuilt. Only thing is no title. I have an ag exemption and will title as a farm trailer. How hard will it be without a title?
              Why not have the guy just go get it register, reimburse him for it, and you take the paper work with a bill of sale with you. Then, a year from now, take that to your tax office and get it register to you and another year on tag. This is what I did when I bought my brother's trailer.

Comment

Because the guy is 100 miles away from me and is 74 years old. He has used it as a farm trailer for years. It’s a lot to ask to drag him 100 miles to get it transferred and registered. I’m going to call the reg office here when they open up. Hopefully it’s not a huge deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Regardless it will have to be inspected by an auto theft inspector, and will have a high probability of being seized without a bill of sale or title, unless in has a clear and properly attached VIN#....

Comment

If it was bought new and registered as a farm trailer it could not have a title. My gooseneck is that way, if your going to put farm tags on it all you'll need is a title transfer sheet signed by the current owner. When you register it you can opt to have a title sent to you. At least that's how it was in Morris county

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                      Regardless it will have to be inspected by an auto theft inspector, and will have a high probability of being seized without a bill of sale or title, unless in has a clear and properly attached VIN#....
                      Not true for every county

Comment

I just went through this with a utility trailer, had to have it inspected, Weighed, it was a real pain in the rear, It does depend on county though.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          Why no title? Is it stolen?
                          Yeah that is always my concern. I never buy anything without a title now because I got burned on a motorcycle 15 years ago. I tried to title and yep, stolen. The bike was impounded and the other guy arrested but I never got my money back. I am surprised by how many cars, trailers, and motorcycles I see around here for sale with no title.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
                            Not true in my case

I bought an 18' trailer without a title about 6 months ago. I went and did the auto theft inspection and got a title issued, it is very simple. The trailer I bought did not have a serial number tag or any markings of who made it. So he said homebuilt and gave me the document that I needed to get it titled.

Until recently, it was easy to say shopbuilt, so lots of trailers did not have titles, this is the process to get one now.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                              The only correct answer is....

It will vary between counties. Ask the lady at the tax office. They will tell you.

Regards, bought farm trailer in harris,live in Montgomery registered in houston.

If possible get the current owner to tag along

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

This is the fact. There are huge variations in requirements from county to county.

Comment

Working...
                              X