Val Verde County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F0WL_LIF3 View Post
    Drying but I could tell the rain has helped! Saw quite a few deer Friday morning. The 60° morning had them moving around A LOT. We will be back April 28th if anyone will be down there.

We have spring baseball in full swing right now but am looking for a break in the schedule to get out there. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We're close to the Terrell/ValVerde Co. line. My trigger finger is getting itchy.

Comment

Anyone familiar with the area around the devils river management area?

Comment

I'm headed out this Friday morning. Putting the dog in the Hilton, picking up an alfalfa bale and molasses bucket at Double LL in Ingram then headed to Ozona for corn and a burger. I hope to make the lease by 2 PM, fill a few feeders and then hunt for the rams I shot at last time. This week is going to be slow.

Any one ever tried alfalfa out west? The molasses buckets with peanuts all over them work pretty good. At least as long as its only deer on them. Lasted two months on deer. The sheep found the next one and it was gone in about 2 weeks.

Comment

I would recommend putting alfalfa. Just buy the square bale and put it out. Don't undo it. Leave in a square

Comment

SabreKiller where do you get a burger in Ozona. Mom and Pop place or fast food.

Comment

For a long time, we stopped a DQ. That has changed to Sonic. On the way out I'm usually hot to get there so I'll buy groceries and corn in Ozona so I don't have to haul it that far, gas up, grab a burger at Sonic and keep on trucking. The Hitchin' Post Steak House has pretty good burgers if you have time.

On the return trip,I usually stop at the Mexican food restaurant on IH-10 near the west end of town. Can't remember the name.

I planned on leaving it bundled. The other lease members have tried it before and said the deer wouldn't hardly eat it. I ain't too worried about the deer, I'm looking to smoke pole a ram or two.

Comment

Put the bale out and pour corn all around it and on it. That will get the deer started on it. The only thing I ask is for a reply on how good it worked. Good hunting to all.

Comment

Counrty is green as spring is in full bloom but we have not really had any substantial rains. Hope that April makes for a wet and rainy month because it's starting to get pretty hot in the late afternoons. I saw three of the volunteer fire trucks rolling west towards Comstock with lights flashing. I hope it's not a serious brush fire. I will report tomorrow if I hear anything relevant.

SabreKiller are you seeing aoudad out there??
                    Last edited by Pedernal; 03-27-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

No aoudad yet....

but the neighbors have seen them in the past. The sheep I'm seeing are more of a mouflon or corsican and they can have a variety of color phases. It's almost like they bred with domestic sheep at one time. The herd I shot at a couple weeks ago had 5 rams, all colored like mouflon and three were well over full curl. They turned to run just as I touched of the old .270 and I missed.

This is the last one I killed. The other group of 5 had dark faces.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0556.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	201.9 KB
ID:	24490443
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by SabreKiller; 03-28-2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

**** that's awesome! I really hope ibget a chance at one

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                          but the neighbors have seen them in the past. The sheep I'm seeing are more of a mouflon or corsican and they can have a variety of color phases. It's almost like they bred with domestic sheep at one time. The herd I shot at a couple weeks ago had 5 rams, all colored like mouflon and three were well over full curl. They turned to run just as I touched of the old .270 and I missed.

This is the last one I killed. The other group of 5 had dark faces.

[ATTACH]848043[/ATTACH]

They any good to eat?

Comment

I got no idea about eating them. They smelled horrible and the one in the bottom pic has some kind of growth hanging in front of his nads. I wasn't gonna take a chance.

Comment

I got no idea about eating them. They smelled horrible and the one in the bottom pic has some kind of growth hanging in front of his nads. I wasn't gonna take a chance.
                              Understatement of the year.

Comment

Haha I didnt know... never had an opportunity to shoot one to find out I'll prob be passing on them

Comment

Working...
                                X