What caliber to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What caliber to buy...

I am thinking about picking up one of those Thompson Compass while they are on sale for a beater gun and truck gun. I have the following calibers:

17 hmr
    223/556 (AR Platform)
    6.5 CM
    7mm08

The intended use will be in the hill country for everything from whitetail to axis to hogs to coyotes. Ideally I’d like it to be something with light recoil for the kids to use especially as they are starting out shooting and graduating from the 17 hmr and 22.

At one point I was thinking about another 223 since ammo is cheap. However, I like the ballistics of the 22-250 better. I also thought about the 243 but feel like the 6.5 CM and 7mm08 are close enough to the 243 such that it would be somewhat duplicative.

On the other end of the spectrum I thought about a 300 WM, 30-06, or 308 since I don’t own a .30 caliber. However, if I am getting a 300 WM it would be an elk gun and I’d rather spend more money on an elk gun better suited for the mountains. The 308 is somewhat tempting but I feel like I am already covered there with the 7mm08 and the 6.5 CM.

What am I missing? Any thoughts? Suggestions? Keep in mind this isn’t necessarily a legacy/generational gun but mainly a gun I can shoot for fun and leave at the ranch and in the truck and don’t have to worry about it getting beat up.
    Last edited by TB80; 10-12-2018, 07:22 PM.

I think your on the right track with a 22/250

Comment

22-250 would be a good choice.
      Maybe a 308

Comment

308. Your not slinging 180 gr out of any of the others. It can be a elk gun, and a dam good one.

Comment

Would y’all suggest the 308 over the 30-06?

Comment

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
            Would y’all suggest the 308 over the 30-06?

No

Comment

308 is a good round and plenty of ammo available.

Comment

Well now I’m rethinking everything. I was leaning towards the 22-250 but now am seriously considering the 308. Is there any reason to get the 308 since I already have the 7mm08?

Comment

22-250.

BC

"
                  The intended use will be in the hill country for everything from whitetail to axis to hogs to coyotes. Ideally I’d like it to be something with light recoil for the kids to use especially as they are starting out shooting and graduating from the 17 hmr and 22. "

Comment

Well now I’m rethinking everything. I was leaning towards the 22-250 but now am seriously considering the 308. Is there any reason to get the 308 since I already have the 7mm08?
                    My opinion, if I had a 7mm08 I would not get a 308. And yes I would get the 22-250. But that's just me.

Comment

22-250 with enough twist to shoot the 60+ grain bullets

Comment

The Academy sales ad I saw said the Compass is available in .243, .270, .308, and 30-06. Are you sure you can even get it in the calibers you are asking about? I hate to see you do all this research and then not even be able to buy it haha.

Comment

Originally posted by stickbowcoop View Post
                          The Academy sales ad I saw said the Compass is available in .243, .270, .308, and 30-06. Are you sure you can even get it in the calibers you are asking about? I hate to see you do all this research and then not even be able to buy it haha.

You can buy other calibers online and still get the rebate.

Comment

You can buy other calibers online and still get the rebate.
                            Nice. For some reason I was stuck on you buying it at Academy. I didn't think even consider the rebate at other locations haha.

Comment

243 Win. Because everyone needs one and you don’t own one.

Comment

Working...
                              X