lenses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lenses

What do you look for when buying a lens? I'm getting a Canon T3 and was looking at lenses and I don't know what I'm looking at. Since the price range is so wide what do you look for?

I look for the fastest lens say an F4 over an F6 that I can get. I also like one with image stablizer built into it. In Canon I would look at the "L" series lenses like the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM zoom lens for example. What type of pics are you wanting to take?

Comment

All depends on your budget.
      Lenses can cost alot.

For versatility, an 18-135mm for example works well, then within those parameters there's different quality.

Expensive lenses will usually be "faster", that is, have a low f-stop value and/or image stabilization, such as the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 or the Canon 50mm f1.2.

Comment

Originally posted by texashunter56 View Post
        I look for the fastest lens say an F4 over an F6 that I can get. I also like one with image stablizer built into it. In Canon I would look at the "L" series lenses like the EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM zoom lens for example. What type of pics are you wanting to take?
        Looking to take wildlife pictures and finally have a good camera for family photos and vactions. I wouldn't mind after I get better with the camera maybe make some money on the side if possible.

Comment

Image stabilization is very important, more so when getting a zoom lens. If you plan on spending a ton of money you will be fine, you get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by jrwest66 View Post
            Looking to take wildlife pictures and finally have a good camera for family photos and vactions. I wouldn't mind after I get better with the camera maybe make some money on the side if possible.
            I would also look at the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM. It a bit more expensive than 100-400 but gives a lens that will do a lot of what you are looking for. Canon website will sell some refurbished lenses from time to time at a discount and with a one year warranty.

Comment

GLASS. L2.8.

3 generations of photographers in my family.

Comment

I try to get lenses that I can also get a good workout lugging around. Why just do photography when you can do bodybuilding at the same time?

Go for the faster lenses. f/2.8 or better. Although, nowdays the cameras are so good at low light you can get away with slightly slower glass, but you give up the shallow depth of focus when you do that.

Comment

Quality lenses isn't just about low light ability or even speed although important. They do in fact produce a better quality photograph.

Comment

Originally posted by iamntxhunter View Post
                    Quality lenses isn't just about low light ability or even speed although important. They do in fact produce a better quality photograph.
                    Well said... Once you get that first piece of really good glass there is no going back. Color,contrast,sharpness everything is just better. Speed isn't everything, I have some 4.0 L glass that is very good.

Comment

Should you only get lenses that are the same as the camera? ex. Canon camera only canon lenses? Or will sigma or other brands be ok as long as it fits camera?

Comment

Yes that are other lens manufacturers that make lenses to fit Canon.

Comment

Originally posted by jrwest66 View Post
                          Should you only get lenses that are the same as the camera? ex. Canon camera only canon lenses? Or will sigma or other brands be ok as long as it fits camera?
                          Basically you get what you pay for. Can't go wrong with original manufacturer.

Tamron, Sigma are generally regarded as lower end. They should all "work" but in my experience you get lower contrast and more distortion. Some of this can be corrected after the fact. Opposite end of the spectrum are brands like Leica. Never used them but I hear they have higher contrast and sharpness than OEM. Oh yeah, they'll run you about $5k for a prime lens.

Comment

If you're going Canon, I suggest you find the money to buy the 70-200 f4L as a starter. It's in the $600 range. It's a great lens to start with and will hold it's value if you take care of it. As you get better or more interested, you can move up to something more pricey.

You can always rent higher end stuff for special occasions or a test drive.

With lenses, just like with binoculars and scopes, you get what you pay for. Anything with glass is that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                              If you're going Canon, I suggest you find the money to buy the 70-200 f4L as a starter. It's in the $600 range. It's a great lens to start with and will hold it's value if you take care of it. As you get better or more interested, you can move up to something more pricey.

You can always rent higher end stuff for special occasions or a test drive.

With lenses, just like with binoculars and scopes, you get what you pay for. Anything with glass is that way.
                              Very good suggested lens! May not be the best in a low light conditions but will give you awesome photos overall. I have the IS model and it will take some fabulous shots!

Comment

Working...
                              X