No announcement yet.

KJO/Boazman Michigan Express

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, on to where we sat and what we saw. I have tried my best to recreate this ranch on a drawing (not to scale ). I am not really sure how this will display as I had to first draw it, scan it, edit it, and now post. I hope it is not too small or unreadable. Anyway, if there are errors I am sure I will hear it from others.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Boaz6.bmp
Views:	1
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	23878710

The main stay for our hunt was on Caleche road. Although I tried to get off the beaten path (Caleb told me to get to the west side for Rams and thats what I had done) by headin west, the others remained on or near Caleche Road. At the east end of the road, two guys were situated in stands down to the left. In these stand many animals were seen. The first stand to the left of Caleche road (near tunnel) was one of the hottest as the Aoudad kept coming to that stand. Also the stand at the 3 way intersection of the enterance road and caleche was also good for many animals. Pigs, Axis, Aoudad and a ram. The 2nd stand to the left of the tunnel at end of caleche was awesome for pigs. However, those Dahl sheep were seen there every day and evening---we left em for you, if you think they are worth it. Stand 5 all the way in the northwest corner is tucked into a nice oak in front of the waterhole. This is where I arrowed 2 piggies, saw several small black buck antelope (12 inch or less) and 3 coyotes. Doug had offered our group (the guys that bought onto the safari package) the option to substitute an axis doe for the ram. 2 of the guys bought in. I was seeing axis doe at the far west end of Caleche road about 40-50 yards from the high fence. If you sneak down there mid day you will not disturb anything. You will see 3 or 4 heavy trails crossing from one side of the road to the other. I would highly recommend putting in a ground blind and brushing it up. Not only would I see Axis does crossing there single file almost daily (between 10 and 11), but if I had a Safari package I would have been in there. I am willing to bet at least 1 axis buck is or will soon be running with that mini herd.

If anyone has any questions about the ranch or anything more specific, let me know and I'll be glad to share.

Comment

Overall I would be happy to hunt Boazmans again. The bunk house is great.....clean and comfortable. Caleb is a great guy to hang with. There are animals there. Unfortunately what I was after I believe had begun to pick up the scent of ewes in heat and had buried themselvess with the ewes. But this allowed me to get to know this ranch and find where alot of the animals hang out. The roads are a simple drop, which then get corned, but if I were there in a week or two I would be getting into a blind or I would move a stand to the west end of the property down where those axis are. Someone's gonna drop a big one. And it ain't gonna be someone sitting in the easy to get to stands. Overall I would rate Boazmans as a great place to go for a seasoned hunter. Not for a novice or mediocre hunter. The animals are fairly smart but not unbeatable. If you forget why you are there for a second, they will nail you. To the west and the south west of the lake is a nice area with no disturbances.

Comment

Video footage of shot on Axis buck

I hope this works. Several have asked for the video of the shot at the Ais buck while at KJO. Here it is. Please realize that this is the first time I have shot an animal with a camera on bow. After the shot I totally forgot I was videoing. Anyway, I would edit the trees out and shorten it if I could but I have no idea how to do that without some type of video editting software. I think the shaking was from me drawing the bow. Not really sure.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
        I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

Finding the Buck

I will leave you with this. Finally recovering my first ever Axis.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
          I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

I dont know if I could have held out....

That little oreo piggie probably would have had an arrow in him quick!!

Nice Axis buck, Congrats

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrdr82 View Post
              I dont know if I could have held out....

That little oreo piggie probably would have had an arrow in him quick!!

Nice Axis buck, Congrats
              Thats what I was thinking
              lol

But congrats on the axis!

Comment

Nice video, you didnt waste any time when that guy walked out. I would have had a hard time not lettin the string down on the cool looking pig or one of those rams. It looked like it was worth the wait though. congrats.

Comment

Thats great congrats again! Those Rams are really nice.

Comment

Looks like a blast!!!!! Keith is a great guy and has a great operation!!!

Comment

Great thread! congrats all hunters!!

Comment

Working...
                      X