No announcement yet.

Hand corning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got busted yesterday evening. I hand corned a spot about 4:00 and got in my stand. at 4:30 a sow and piglets came in. The sow was very nervous. She finally threw her head up in the direction I walked in and turned and ran making a growling noise. About 7:00 a small 6 point was walking in, he looked in my direction and went back the way he came. I was wearing snake boots. They probably smelled where I walked in and hand corned. Any advice?

Comment

I like to spread some out in front of each window I may be shooting out of.

Comment

Spray the soles down with scent killer every time you go. Personally I don't wear my snake boots i work around the place in to hunt. I have two pair. But I'm watching where I walk when I go to stand so I can avoid snakes easily so most of the time I where dedicated hunting boots that are only worn for hunting.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

if youre putting it out around a feeder make sure to spread it out. i had deer last year that would walk up, look at the line i had out and then leave.

Comment

It also depends on where you are hunting. If the deer haven't seen a human in months or ever, or if they are heavily hunted then it's a different story.
            Last edited by Jimbo47; 10-02-2017, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Where you are hunting and if the deer are accustomed to humans and can relate to the sight and sounds of humans feeding them, then you don't really have to worry about all that scent block and rubber boots and all.
              I just rattle my corn can and throw out the corn while wearing my sneakers most of the time and the deer could care less.
              They aren't tame by any means, just used to seeing people (ranchers) and being fed.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                I've found if you work around the area regular, leave a sweaty t shirt at your stand at the end of the weekend and don't just show up the weekend before season to fill feeders and then hunt you'll have more luck. Deer adapt to people.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                ^^^
                this

im usually out working somewhere on my place every 3rd weekend and they are used to the sounds and smells of me and my family. even the dogs don't spook them anymore.

Comment

Working...
                X