Welder & welding ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welder & welding ?

OK, I am a absolute rank amateur when it comes to welding. I have welded and it held, but it was not even close to being bad, but it held, SO what would you recommend for me buying a welder to learn on? I have a 220 plug already in my garage, but only 110 at the lease. Suggestions and possible books, videos I could watch and learn to weld if that is even possible. Thanks!

Miller 211 great machine and dual voltage 110/220.

Comment

Dual voltage mig. Size will depend on what you expect to be welding and what the budget is.

Comment

Originally posted by Speed Freak View Post
        Miller 211 great machine and dual voltage 110/220.
        Get this and weld your butt off

Comment

If you can go bigger than I would, that being said I have Lincoln 140 110v and have welded a lot of stuff (high rack, stuff on tractor, pipe fence, etc) and it's strong. The only thing limiting me with the 110v is it's duty cycle.

Comment

As a rank amateur, do you think spending $1200 bucks on a welder is a good idea not even knowing how to weld properly? Just asking. I do not know basically nothing about welding, but want to learn!

Comment

Spend the money for a decent machine once - or buy a Chinese machine, deal with the frustration that comes with it, and eventually end up spending the money on a good machine. I have done this myself. I ended up buying a Miller 211 and it was most definitely money very well spent! Highly recommended!

Comment

Originally posted by BigCohiba View Post
                Spend the money for a decent machine once - or buy a Chinese machine, deal with the frustration that comes with it, and eventually end up spending the money on a good machine. I have done this myself. I ended up buying a Miller 211 and it was most definitely money very well spent! Highly recommended!
                Thanks!!!!!!!

Comment

check with your AG extension agent there may be some short welding courses that they offer at times

Comment

Going against the grain here

I would get a name brand, Lincoln, Miller, Hobart.
                    Would stay with 115V, get the Gas, 125-140 will handle more than you are probably going to need to do. As said above the duty cycle will be your limiting factor. Not that important for the average guy.
                    Gives you time to take a swig.
                    Get with the shop teacher there at school, He can show you more in 30 minutes than you will learn on video in days......
                    Buy him a burger and a beer. Win/Win...
                    There is Not much I can't build with my Lincoln SP-135.
                    It is my go to welder. I do have 2 stick welders and a TIG here at the house.
                    And some bigger machines at my business.

I have been welding for over 40 years, does Not make me a Great welder,
                    but I can stick some metal together. Good Luck........

Comment

Community colleges usually have a welding course.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	834F40F9-05EB-450B-BC79-4BD1CF99447D.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	24535668

As stated above spend the money on a Miller 211 and it will help you become a good welder. I got this one last summer and am very glad I went with a dual voltage that can weld as heavy as it can. Duty cycle has been plenty for me with this welder. I just bought a new digital elite with the new clear light lens technology and welding is a dream with this combo. Don’t be aftraid to spend some money on the front end, you will pick it up easier than you think and also go ahead and buy a bottle and run 75/25 with slick wire. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by TTU TX Hunter View Post
                          [ATTACH]903851[/ATTACH]

As stated above spend the money on a Miller 211 and it will help you become a good welder. I got this one last summer and am very glad I went with a dual voltage that can weld as heavy as it can. Duty cycle has been plenty for me with this welder. I just bought a new digital elite with the new clear light lens technology and welding is a dream with this combo. Don’t be aftraid to spend some money on the front end, you will pick it up easier than you think and also go ahead and buy a bottle and run 75/25 with slick wire. Good luck!
                          Man you need a work table!

Comment

Well, it really depends on what you are welding. Wire is great for some things and sucks for others. You may be better served with a stick machine, but it depends

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                              Man you need a work table!
                              I do, I’ve been forced to work out of my dads garage until we get our house and shop built, we’ve been in a rent house so I’m just glad he’s got a 220v plug. Getting a 60x40 shop so the wait should be worth it!

Comment

Working...
                              X