BBQ/Smoker...UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ/Smoker...UDS

This has to be the best way to smoke a brisket or pork when at the hunting camp/lease. I found out about the UDS on the net last year and have been cooking with since then. Cheapest easiest smoker I have ever used. Its a 55 gallon drum with a charcoal basket in the bottom and cooking grate up top. Do a google search for UDS or ugly drum smoker.
    Its a set it and forget it type smoker, 13 lb briskets done in 8 hours.
    I have always been a real wood smoker type, till the UDS.
    New years weekend, we hunted Friday AM, then went got a brisket. I had the rub on and in the pit by 12:30 pm, by 8 pm brisket was at 175 degrees, we ate on it all weekend.
    Once we got back from the store I seasoned the brisket and started the fire in the charcoal basket, set the basket in the drum, set the brisket in, waited for the smoker to hit 250 degrees, capped off some of the intake holes to hold around 250 temp and went hunting till dark. Its that easy.

Do you have any pics?

Comment

all you could ever wanna know. http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/general...-part-1-a.html

Looks like I have 'nother project to add to the list. Very cool concept, and extremely reasonable.

I'd probably add some sort of an access door to get into the fire baske and for adding wood extra smoke.

Comment

I see a new project in the near Future. One for the casa and one for the hunting cabin. Anyone know were to score some 55 gallon drums in the Georgetown area?

Comment

My dad has been cooking on these for as long as I can remember. His has always been a cheaper way of building. I have built and sold quite a few. I don't use a basket in the bottom. I just cut a door on bottom and put on a hinge and handle, making the door wide enough for a shovel to fit thru. I build a fire next to the barrel and shovel coals in as needed for heat. I can build one for $20.
          I can't leave it a long time and go hunt, but I do get to drink a few cold ones while watching the smoker turn out some good food. It's a win / win.

Comment

internal temp not hi enouf needs to be 190 at 175 you are still in plato

Comment

that blows the doors off the price of a Komodo

Click image for larger version

Name:	komodo.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	23969115

cool stuff

thanks for posting it up

Comment

Sure sounds a lot cheaper than my Egg but I doubt it would cook as well. I'd sure like to try one out.

Comment

Brushtrooper, I use a Weber Smokey Mountain and that is very close to the UDS design. I have been wanting to build an UDS. Where did you find your barrel and lid? I have been looking for quite a while. Thanks.

Comment

Dang I wish I would have seen this early in the season it would have been fun to play with. Grndcheckr I am not a smoker at all but whats the reason you can not leave it for long and if you were just doing some chicken or ribs could you make it work while on stand for a evening hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
                      Dang I wish I would have seen this early in the season it would have been fun to play with. Grndcheckr I am not a smoker at all but whats the reason you can not leave it for long and if you were just doing some chicken or ribs could you make it work while on stand for a evening hunt?
                      I have never used one, but I imagine the 55 gal barrel does not retain heat like a big green egg or Komodo.

However, that makes is the perfect "stand around and drink beer" smoker. Which is 99.9% of the fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
                        I have never used one, but I imagine the 55 gal barrel does not retain heat like a big green egg or Komodo.

However, that makes is the perfect "stand around and drink beer" smoker. Which is 99.9% of the fun.
                        Thats the best part! I am always a little reluctant to leave anything to valuable at the lease and that would be perfect. I think I will make one and play with it in the off season for next year.

Comment

Dude that is just sweeet!! I'm gonna build several!!!!

Comment

Legdog is correct on both statements. By only adding coals and some wood chunks for smoke, the barrel doesn't retain heat. The metal is just too thin. Lifespan of the ones I have been using is about 5 years. Once the bottom corrodes to the point of not being able to open the door for coals I have to build new ones.
                            I always get to lease a day earlier than most everyone else for opening of gun season when the most people are there. I cook all the meats for meals for the whole weekend so we don't have to skip hunts to cook. Plus, I get to drink my fill Friday and concentrate on hunting.
                            My dad has a salvage drum, which is 85 gallons instead of 55. He can cook 4 briskets at a time on it. I use 2-55 gallon ones at my lease.
                            Last edited by Grndchecker; 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Grndchecker

You should bring one to bownanza in March. It would be prefect for that event and I'm sure many would like to see how you rig 'em (including me).

Comment

Working...
                              X