School me on law please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on law please

So I was told by GW that if I shoot a deer on my place and it jumps the property line fence into neighbors (that happens to be owned by city of Austin). If the manger of that property says I can't cross the fence then that's it. I must leave deer to rot. When I asked about the law that you have to do everything you can to retrieve your deer? he said that's when he could get me for allowing deer to cross property line. ??? He also told me that tech since I'm the city limits I'm not really allowed to hunt at all. even though TPW won't enforce the law the sheriff could?? It's 42 ac I bow hunt only/ever. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Ynotdrum; 10-20-2018, 12:33 PM. Reason: Forgot part of sentence

He's right about crossing the fence. If the neighbor says no, then it's a no. Even for the GW. As far as the waste of game, to me if the neighbor won't allow you access, then at that point you've done all you can legally do. In my experience the Sheriff's Office won't normally get involved in that. It's a GW call.

Comment

Just because you are trailing wounded deer doesn't give you the right to trespass. Also if you decide to trespass please leave your weapons on your side of the fence. Trespassing with weapons just makes everything worse!

As far as doing everything you can to not waste. I'd say tracking it to the fence line and contacting landowner and being denied trespass rights is everything you could do to recover the deer and you could probably beat the waste of game charge in court.

Comment

Thats how I understand it. Trying to get permission from your neighbor to retrieve deer is everything you can do to retrieve the deer in this case.

Comment

Back your blind away from the fence Line and practice,practice,practice

Comment

he said that's when he could get me for allowing deer to cross property line. ???

I think maybe he was saying that if you cross the property line without permission or after being denied permission that he could get you for crossing the property line (trespassing).

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
              He's right about crossing the fence. If the neighbor says no, then it's a no. Even for the GW. As far as the waste of game, to me if the neighbor won't allow you access, then at that point you've done all you can legally do. In my experience the Sheriff's Office won't normally get involved in that. It's a GW call.
              Agree with this

Comment

Originally posted by Sideler View Post
                he said that's when he could get me for allowing deer to cross property line. ???

I think maybe he was saying that if you cross the property line without permission or after being denied permission that he could get you for crossing the property line (trespassing).
                I hope so. Because i do practice and consider myself a got shot. I’ve been bow hunting for almost 30 years and do my best to only take ethical shots and go sometimes a whole season without even taking a shot because the perfect animal and/or the perfect shot did not present itself but we all know a good mature dear can easily travel 300 yards on adrenaline alone. Thankfully my last harvest did end up dropping on our side but I’m scared to death the next one wont and from what I understand the manager that runs the other property will not allow crossing over regardless I guess now my only other question is am I truly not allowed to hunt legally because it’s within the city limits?

Comment

Sounds like he/she was having a little fun at your expense with regard to you being in trouble for allowing the deer to cross the fence.

If you're in the city limits, there's probably a city ordinance against shooting a bow or gun and normally enforced by city police or code enforcement, not the GW or sheriff.

Get a copy of the hunting regs and read them. And no, you can't enter fenced property without the owner's permission. (or signed, or purple paint marked)

Comment

If it’s city property, then I’m going on it to retrieve my deer...because I pay property taxes, I have a right to enter a property that I am paying for. It’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission...and what they don’t know won’t hurt them.

Comment

Had this happen. GW couldn't get a hold of L. O. so he said leave our guns and he would bring his. He couldn't even get the bolt open on his gun. So he brought one of our guns and we crossed the fence together to get deer. Well at least we got the deer.

Comment

Get a suppressor and fill your freezer.

Comment

Why not get permission from neighboring land owners/managers before the hunt begins?

At least have their contact info on hand and text them before crossing over. Maybe they would like to assist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by alien_scones View Post
                            Why not get permission from neighboring land owners/managers before the hunt begins?

At least have their contact info on hand and text them before crossing over. Maybe they would like to assist?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                            Good point. I'd introduce myself to the property owner next to me and try to get on good terms. Tell them if they ever need to come on your property it's no problem, just call you first and give them your number. Tell them you hunt and would really appreciate the same courtesy from him.

Comment

I left the manager two messages with no return call. But from what I understand the few times the cattle got out he was not very receptive to allow anybody on the property to look for cows. I’m not sure if he’s just not friendly or there’s bad blood between him and other property owners that also border that property. I’m certainly going to reach out to him before hand and if I trail my harvest to the property line but I’m going to have to assume he’s going to say no so that’s a bummer But I certainly will not be crossing that property line without permission so I guess it is what it is . What stinks is we’ve been having elk on our cameras for almost a year and a half now and if I shoot one and it crosses the property line I’m gonna be so upset with myself. What stinks is we’ve been having elk on our cameras for almost a year and a half now and if I shoot one and it crosses the property line I’m gonna be so upset with myself But I guess with the amount of coyotes we have nothing will go to waste LOL. But I guess with the Amana coyotes we have nothing will go to waste LOL I guess it’s time to “ practice practice practice “

Comment

Working...
                              X