Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2018, 06:35 PM   #1
Texas8point
Pope & Young
 
Texas8point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas
Default School situation with my 12 yr old

So my son who is 12 / 7th grade gets walked to the car today by one of the school staff.
Heís a good kid, good grades, never any trouble. Iím an older, an old school dad so my advice is what I know and grew up with.
Anyway, fast forward to today. He gets in the car and he is mad to the point of tears. A class mate who likes to throw verbal jabs stepped up his game today and was blazing him with names.
My son took a swing at him, but didnít connect.
I have always told my son to keep his cool, catch him in the bathroom and see what heís made of..... he didnít do that and now I have a meeting with the principal.
I really want to keep my cool but the other kid is making a habit of picking on my son. Any advice on how I should (not how I want) handle this situation?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:41 PM   #2
Casey
Administrator
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bulverde
Default

If I were you, I'd go in with a healthy dose of humility. Whether you like it or not, your kid was wrong and, as you pointed out, needed to keep his cool. Point out what you believe led your kid to that point, but take responsibility for his actions in spite of the way it was started. Had he connected and hurt the kid, you likely wouldn't be afforded an opportunity for this meeting. Be thankful you're getting it.

I hope that doesn't sound like a tiptoe around the issue, but guns blazing often results in returned fire. Don't subject yourself and your kid to that.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Quackerbox
Pope & Young
 
Quackerbox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lacoste
Hunt In: The woods
Default

Been there done that. We told ours to throat punch the bully.

The name calling quit when my wife and i told the principal our son was gonna take matters into his own hands since the attempts to do it correctly were not answered.



Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

You should handle it like an adult. Explain that your son isn't gonna get picked on without stopping it himself. Chances are the principal will agree...that happened to me. If there are consequences, accept them and use it as a teaching moment. He broke the rules for the right reason....accept the discipline and move on. If it happens again, he should take the same action and deal with the same consequences. Chances are good that your son and the other kid will end up friends someday. I've seen it happen a bunch of times. Adults make kid problems way worse than they have to be.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Texas8point
Pope & Young
 
Texas8point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
If I were you, I'd go in with a healthy dose of humility. Whether you like it or not, your kid was wrong and, as you pointed out, needed to keep his cool. Point out what you believe led your kid to that point, but take responsibility for his actions in spite of the way it was started. Had he connected and hurt the kid, you likely wouldn't be afforded an opportunity for this meeting. Be thankful you're getting it.

I hope that doesn't sound like a tiptoe around the issue, but guns blazing often results in returned fire. Don't subject yourself and your kid to that.


I will definitely take the humble approach in the meeting but the other kid isnít going away.
I find it difficult to ask my child to be this kids verbal punching bag.
I do not want a physical altercation, but no kid should be asked to just take it. Or should they ? Just eat whatever this kid feeds you for as long as he chooses to do it ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

Just remember and tell your kid, at age 12, they can be arrested and spend time in the juvenile justice system and come out with a record. If he had connected and blackened an eye, knocked a tooth out or maybe worse, the other parents can have charges filed.
Tell the principal of the BULLYING, and that is what is taking place from the other child, and tell him you take responsibility for your son's action, but if it keeps up and the principal does nothing about the BULLYING from the other kid, another visit with a more stern approach is needed. Zero tolerance on BULLYING should be upheld.
Do not tell your son to retaliate in the bathroom or wherever because he will be the one getting put in cuffs, not the other kid. Frustrating I know but protect your child and keep after the principal and if he or she does nothing, go up the ladder!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #7
150class
Pope & Young
 
150class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Houston
Hunt In: Uvalde, Boerne
Default

Edit: I don't have kids so I shouldn't be giving advice. Hope the situation is resolved sooner rather than later.
150class is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:54 PM   #8
hoghunter69
Ten Point
 
hoghunter69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: san antonio
Hunt In: looking for one
Default

make sure both boys are in the office andl let the bully know you give permission to your son to stomp and mud hole in him next time he starts up again, done this twice, there was never a next time
hoghunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #9
eradicator
Pope & Young
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
If I were you, I'd go in with a healthy dose of humility. Whether you like it or not, your kid was wrong and, as you pointed out, needed to keep his cool. Point out what you believe led your kid to that point, but take responsibility for his actions in spite of the way it was started. Had he connected and hurt the kid, you likely wouldn't be afforded an opportunity for this meeting. Be thankful you're getting it.

I hope that doesn't sound like a tiptoe around the issue, but guns blazing often results in returned fire. Don't subject yourself and your kid to that.
The only part I disagree with is that his 'kid was wrong'. What do you expect him to do? Sit there and wear it? Boys will be boys. No need to go in to meeting with guns blazing, but I sure hope the other participant and his family have a meeting as well.
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
Casey
Administrator
 
Casey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Bulverde
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas8point View Post
I will definitely take the humble approach in the meeting but the other kid isnít going away.
I find it difficult to ask my child to be this kids verbal punching bag.
I do not want a physical altercation, but no kid should be asked to just take it. Or should they ? Just eat whatever this kid feeds you for as long as he chooses to do it ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope you didn't interpret what I said to be take whatever is dished. I'm not saying that. I addressed how to handle the meeting, not the bully. A principal would know from me that I'll instruct my kid to take the high road until he has no real, other choice. The bully, and the school, can certainly control how it ultimately ends.

Is the other kid having a meeting too?
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #11
sports
Six Point
 
sports's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Danbury
Hunt In: Quanah
Default

I am in the throat punch crowd. In my opinion bullying is on the rise becase we are raising generations of kids who believe it is wrong to fight back or defend themselves. I say this knowng that if your child does go the throat punch route it will most likely have negative repercussions in school but I believe it will be made up in his character and learning to stand up not just for himself but let others know that bad behavior will not be tolerated. Good luck in whatever you do.... the biggest lesson you can share with your son iscthat you have his back and will stand up for him
sports is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:01 PM   #12
TacticalCowboy
Ten Point
 
TacticalCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Snyder
Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Just remember and tell your kid, at age 12, they can be arrested and spend time in the juvenile justice system and come out with a record. If he had connected and blackened an eye, knocked a tooth out or maybe worse, the other parents can have charges filed.
Tell the principal of the BULLYING, and that is what is taking place from the other child, and tell him you take responsibility for your son's action, but if it keeps up and the principal does nothing about the BULLYING from the other kid, another visit with a more stern approach is needed. Zero tolerance on BULLYING should be upheld.
Do not tell your son to retaliate in the bathroom or wherever because he will be the one getting put in cuffs, not the other kid. Frustrating I know but protect your child and keep after the principal and if he or she does nothing, go up the ladder!
Aaaaaand this is whatís wrong with the world. A fella canít get into a fistfight without fear of being arrested.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:02 PM   #13
glen
Pope & Young
 
glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lake Georgetown
Hunt In: anywhere
Default

I had to tell my kids to eat it. My oldest did for years until he ducked a punch and hit a kid on the button turning the lights out. He was at home a few days but all on camera and everyone knew he was defending himself. My youngest was getting picked on and stuck his chin out and said “pus- y hit me and I’ll finish it”. Kid had to hit him at that point and my kid put him in headlock and finished it. I wasn’t upset with the first but the second younger kid learned just because he didn’t throw 1st punch doesn’t make it right. Both kids were suspended. My kids now just shrug it off when kids bump their gums
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #14
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghunter69 View Post
make sure both boys are in the office andl let the bully know you give permission to your son to stomp and mud hole in him next time he starts up again, done this twice, there was never a next time
You do this in today's time and your kid will end up in juvenile hall, mark my word! I am telling you form experience as a SE teacher in an elementary school that has seen this happen.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:04 PM   #15
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Aaaaaand this is whatís wrong with the world. A fella canít get into a fistfight without fear of being arrested.
Agreed 100%!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #16
HeyMikey
Pope & Young
 
HeyMikey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Brazoria County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey View Post
I hope you didn't interpret what I said to be take whatever is dished. I'm not saying that. I addressed how to handle the meeting, not the bully. A principal would know from me that I'll instruct my kid to take the high road until he has no real, other choice. The bully, and the school, can certainly control how it ultimately ends.

Is the other kid having a meeting too?
^^^^ this........No way that my son's the only one having a meeting, in this situation. At the very least, (politely) put the principal on notice, that this is his chance to make the situation go away, and if he doesn't, you're prepared to go over his head.
HeyMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #17
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports View Post
I am in the throat punch crowd. In my opinion bullying is on the rise becase we are raising generations of kids who believe it is wrong to fight back or defend themselves. I say this knowng that if your child does go the throat punch route it will most likely have negative repercussions in school but I believe it will be made up in his character and learning to stand up not just for himself but let others know that bad behavior will not be tolerated. Good luck in whatever you do.... the biggest lesson you can share with your son iscthat you have his back and will stand up for him
Also true, but if he does get in the last punch and hurts the kid not only is he facing possible arrest you may be facing a lawsuit in today's time. Should not be that way, but it is what it is!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #18
Flex
Ten Point
 
Flex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Centex
Hunt In: The Bushes
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports View Post
I am in the throat punch crowd. In my opinion bullying is on the rise becase we are raising generations of kids who believe it is wrong to fight back or defend themselves. I say this knowng that if your child does go the throat punch route it will most likely have negative repercussions in school but I believe it will be made up in his character and learning to stand up not just for himself but let others know that bad behavior will not be tolerated. Good luck in whatever you do.... the biggest lesson you can share with your son iscthat you have his back and will stand up for him
This is true to an extent. Also that these kids literally are not able to comprehend physical actions can happen as a result of what comes out of your mouth and you post online. Completely flat out cannot fathom a physical reaction. Same reason so many are disrespectful to adults now. I'm a big guy, and had several kids at my last job literally bow up and in my face threatening to "throw hands" or whatever. 8th grade boys incapable of realizing what a grown man/athlete would do to them if it happened.

Be respectful, meet with principal, explain that your child is being bullied. Any bullying complaint has to be documented and taken very serious now. Also say if bullying does not cease your son is no longer putting up with it, but he'll take his consequence if it happens.

Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Flex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #19
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
You do this in today's time and your kid will end up in juvenile hall, mark my word! I am telling you form experience as a SE teacher in an elementary school that has seen this happen.
This is HORSE****!!!! I've been on our local school board for 7 years, until recently and a kid might get sent to alternative school at worst, but kids aren't going to Juvie for throwing hands. If so, you work in a crappy district, within a crappy county, with a crappy DA. It's not a direct line from the playground to juvenile hall.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:15 PM   #20
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
This is HORSE****!!!! I've been on our local school board for 7 years, until recently and a kid might get sent to alternative school at worst, but kids aren't going to Juvie for throwing hands. If so, you work in a crappy district, within a crappy county, with a crappy DA. It's not a direct line from the playground to juvenile hall.
Not up to the school district, but if parents want to file charges against the other student, not much the school district can do about it.
And for your info, it is not a crappy district nor a crappy county nor DA, so just keep it to yourself. You do not live here and do not know what is happening. I agree, but it is what it is today like it or not. And I did not say anything about throwing hands, I said if the student broke a nose or knocked out a tooth or possibly worse. Get off your high horse!
I do not agree with this, but do not tell me how crappy everything is here, you do not have that right!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #21
1RutNBuc
Eight Point
 
1RutNBuc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Whitesboro
Hunt In: Grayson, Cooke, Franklin
Default

Lots of good comments here! This certainly sounds like a case of bullying......however expect a few things:

1. If your son hasn't notified the admin about this prior to him taking a swing, then he is the only "guilty" one at this point. (Can't respond to items you arent aware of)

2. Kids LIE: every kid tells the story to make them the least guilty in the story; details get left out, changed or fabricated almost %100 of the time

3. Ask the admin, and they will anyway, to start a bullying report so that any incidents between your child and this one be documented. This will make all teachers aware of the issue and will help them monitor their interactions.

Its a process and it sucks to have our kids taking the brunt of these things, but this too shall pass and like stated, they will most likely be friends in the end.

Or, he can handle it with his hands, in which case he will have consequences that could lead to an AEP stint; but the bully would probably not want to bother him any longer.
1RutNBuc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #22
hogslayer78
Ten Point
 
hogslayer78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Porter, Tx
Hunt In: San Augustine
Default

I went through this with my kid in 7th grade also. The bullying got to the point he didnt want to go to school and would make up reasons not to go. We had a meeting with the principal and we told him that if they couldnt make it stop then my son would handle it himself. He instructed me of there 0 tolerance policy on fighting and I reminded him of there 0 tolerance policy on bullying. Our issue was resolved.
hogslayer78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #23
COOLDAD1
Ten Point
 
COOLDAD1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Aledo, TX
Hunt In: Texas
Default

Almost same situation as we are in. My son who is 12 got slapped by a kid 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago the same kid who slapped mine called my kid a faggot. Long story short...... my kid handled the situation and the other kid has a broken collar bone. We are now getting sued and my they are pressing charges with felony assault on my 12 year old.
COOLDAD1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:48 PM   #24
Texas8point
Pope & Young
 
Texas8point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas
Default

I ready all of these comments and will continue to do so. I am going to have to cherry pick from both sides of the fence but will let you know how it all goes.
Iím a dad so I will stand by my son right or wrong. In saying that I will also steer him in the right direction. I want to throat punch the kid so I canít blame a 12 yr old for reacting like a 12 yr old.
Yes I requested the other kid/parents attend the meeting.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #25
Playa
Pope & Young
 
Playa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Coleman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Not up to the school district, but if parents want to file charges against the other student, not much the school district can do about it.
And for your info, it is not a crappy district nor a crappy county nor DA, so just keep it to yourself. You do not live here and do not know what is happening. I agree, but it is what it is today like it or not. And I did not say anything about throwing hands, I said if the student broke a nose or knocked out a tooth or possibly worse. Get off your high horse!
I do not agree with this, but do not tell me how crappy everything is here, you do not have that right!
I find it hard to believe Matt Powell is going to pursue charges on a minor for a school yard fight, unless there is a history of it. And I do live here, know Matt personally, and grew up in your district
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #26
Hunting4fun
Four Point
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLDAD1 View Post
Almost same situation as we are in. My son who is 12 got slapped by a kid 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago the same kid who slapped mine called my kid a faggot. Long story short...... my kid handled the situation and the other kid has a broken collar bone. We are now getting sued and my they are pressing charges with felony assault on my 12 year old.
This is why the "throat punch" crowd is wrong even though you should be able to defend yourself. Your kid will end up being the bad guy. You have to play the game. Tell the school that your visit and all the problems are being documented and you probably will have to take your kid to therapy. He can't function and his grades are slipping. Tell them you may have to retain a lawyer to offset the therapy costs if you cant afford to pay...ect ect ect. Put the ball in their court and make them sweat. I can guarantee you they won't let that bully within 100 ft of your son. Make sure you tell them that you have every single action with the bully and the school meetings documented. Even if you dont.
Hunting4fun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #27
Spoiled_TN_boy
Four Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Austin
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Ask for a hard copy of the districts No Bullying Policy.
Read it while in his office. Take notes, ask questions, and follow the guidelines for reporting and addressing the issues.
Have your son file a complaint everytime he is bullied.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #28
Spoiled_TN_boy
Four Point
 
Spoiled_TN_boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: South Austin
Hunt In: Public Land
Default

Even if it is every day. Have him document it with an ink pen in a notebook and have it signed off on each time he files a bullying complaint.
Spoiled_TN_boy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #29
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
I find it hard to believe Matt Powell is going to pursue charges on a minor for a school yard fight, unless there is a history of it. And I do live here, know Matt personally, and grew up in your district
A student puts a kid in the hospital or a visit to a doctor for a broken nose, knocked out tooth or worse, what do you think the parents of that student are going to do. Just wave it off as childs play? Honestly in today's world, parents are going to file charges and sue the crap out of folks.

Where in the hell did I say matt was gong to pursue charges or if it would go that far, but who is going to say the parents of the injured child would not do this. Just being cautious, not saying it would happen, but there is always that chance.

I had to have a 3rd grader handcuffed and taken off to juvi for assaulting and hurting one of my aides one year. No charges were filed, but he was arrested, handcuffed and hauled off.
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #30
Mudslinger
Pope & Young
 
Mudslinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lubbock, TX
Hunt In: Kent Co., Stonewall Co., CO, Limpopo RSA
Default

How long has it been since some of y9ou have been in an elementary school and looked at the size of some of these kids? I have 2 in my unit that are as big if not bigger than I am and one for sure is. I am 6' and 200#'s and no way could I restrain them without one of us getting hurt! Some of these kids, probably held back at least 1 year, are monsters and could do some serious damage. The one kid I have that is way bigger than I am could very easily break a leg on me or my TA's or a teacher if he kicks you just right. He can kick a hole in an OSB wall with no problem and I have seen him do it!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #31
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
Not up to the school district, but if parents want to file charges against the other student, not much the school district can do about it.
And for your info, it is not a crappy district nor a crappy county nor DA, so just keep it to yourself. You do not live here and do not know what is happening. I agree, but it is what it is today like it or not. And I did not say anything about throwing hands, I said if the student broke a nose or knocked out a tooth or possibly worse. Get off your high horse!
I do not agree with this, but do not tell me how crappy everything is here, you do not have that right!
LMAO...I have the right to say whatever I want....or will I go to prison?

I wasn't on a high horse, I was merely saying that you were blowing a bunch of bull**** that was incorrect. And to your other point, parents cannot file charges. They can make a complaint, but only the DA can file charges. You've said more than once that these kids would go to juvenile hall and that is just not a fact. You're either fear-mongering or you're generalizing or you just don't know what you're talking about. Either way I stand by what I said about it all being horsecrap.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:15 PM   #32
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
A student puts a kid in the hospital or a visit to a doctor for a broken nose, knocked out tooth or worse, what do you think the parents of that student are going to do. Just wave it off as childs play? Honestly in today's world, parents are going to file charges and sue the crap out of folks.

Where in the hell did I say matt was gong to pursue charges or if it would go that far, but who is going to say the parents of the injured child would not do this. Just being cautious, not saying it would happen, but there is always that chance.

I had to have a 3rd grader handcuffed and taken off to juvi for assaulting and hurting one of my aides one year. No charges were filed, but he was arrested, handcuffed and hauled off.

THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleye s:
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:16 PM   #33
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLDAD1 View Post
Almost same situation as we are in. My son who is 12 got slapped by a kid 3 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago the same kid who slapped mine called my kid a faggot. Long story short...... my kid handled the situation and the other kid has a broken collar bone. We are now getting sued and my they are pressing charges with felony assault on my 12 year old.
Might cost you some money, but he ain't going to jail.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:19 PM   #34
Stuck
Ten Point
 
Stuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katy
Default

Your boy took a swing. Congrats to him! He was wrong in this politically correct society, your being called in to discuss the situation. The teachers and principal know the reputation of the perpetrator and are probably glad your son did what he did, but have to go through these motions to cover their tails.

Had a similar situation with my oldest In high school couple years ago. He got 1day iss and told how wrong it was with a smile by the AP and full support from home.

Let the principle know you understand what your son did was against school policy but the bullyís behavior will no longer be tolerated and it is the schools responsibility to control it.


Donít make a huge deal out of this. Right of passage for most.
Stuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:34 PM   #35
coachmas
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Palestine
Hunt In: around Palestine
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1RutNBuc View Post
Lots of good comments here! This certainly sounds like a case of bullying......however expect a few things:

1. If your son hasn't notified the admin about this prior to him taking a swing, then he is the only "guilty" one at this point. (Can't respond to items you arent aware of)

2. Kids LIE: every kid tells the story to make them the least guilty in the story; details get left out, changed or fabricated almost %100 of the time

3. Ask the admin, and they will anyway, to start a bullying report so that any incidents between your child and this one be documented. This will make all teachers aware of the issue and will help them monitor their interactions.

Its a process and it sucks to have our kids taking the brunt of these things, but this too shall pass and like stated, they will most likely be friends in the end.

Or, he can handle it with his hands, in which case he will have consequences that could lead to an AEP stint; but the bully would probably not want to bother him any longer.
I was going to PM you, but this is just about the exact info I was going to send you. Been in education 20 years, Admin for last 7, currently at a junior high with a son your exact age and grade.

Especially follow through with #1 and #3 . Schools must investigate bullying reports!! Coach
coachmas is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #36
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young
 
SaltwaterSlick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

well no doubt things have indeed changed... When I was in elementary school, the last thing a kid wanted was to have his mamma go up to the school and complain about what some other kid had done to him... Talk about embarrassing... the kid would'a been a laughing stock!! Sombody diss you, if you was "man" enough (at 8 to 10 years old), you took care of it yourseff...

Had a situation like that when I was in 6th grade... My mamma was gonna go up to school and talk to the principal... I begged her not to so she didn't... My dad tole me, "Son, if you kick his arse just right, next time he sees you he'll run." My dad was right you know, and all that crap stopped instantly... guess you can't do that nowadays...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #37
curtintex
Pope & Young
 
curtintex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Porter, TX
Hunt In: Usually from a tree
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
well no doubt things have indeed changed... When I was in elementary school, the last thing a kid wanted was to have his mamma go up to the school and complain about what some other kid had done to him... Talk about embarrassing... the kid would'a been a laughing stock!! Sombody diss you, if you was "man" enough (at 8 to 10 years old), you took care of it yourseff...

Had a situation like that when I was in 6th grade... My mamma was gonna go up to school and talk to the principal... I begged her not to so she didn't... My dad tole me, "Son, if you kick his arse just right, next time he sees you he'll run." My dad was right you know, and all that crap stopped instantly... guess you can't do that nowadays...
Well to be fair, when you were in the sixth grade the Civil War had just ended and the last thing anyone wanted was more conflict.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:48 PM   #38
okrattler
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oklahoma Panhandle
Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
Aaaaaand this is whatís wrong with the world. A fella canít get into a fistfight without fear of being arrested.
Yep. Until they're pushed to the point of not caring and the bully and anyone else that can't run fast enough has bullet holes in them.

I'd let the principal and the kid know next time he will connect and you'll deal with the consequences then.

Last edited by okrattler; 10-17-2018 at 09:05 PM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 08:51 PM   #39
doghouse
Pope & Young
 
doghouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Goldthwaite
Hunt In: Mills County
Default

My how times have changed from the 60's. I had a guy bullying me about 4th are 5th grade. I knew better than to do it during school hours. We would both get an arse busting. Not really bullying but calling me names. We took it to the parking lot at a Junior High football game and he never said another thing. We wound up best buddies thru High School'
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #40
miket
Pope & Young
 
miket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plantersville
Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria
Default

I guess it depends on the school. We have had a few issues with my two boys. I have told them if they are assaulted or bullied excessively at school to do whatever they have to do and I will back them up 100%, if they start it, its their butt. My oldest had a kid that kept messing with him and wouldnt leave him alone. I told him to report it. He did twice and absolutely nothing happened, nothing changed. Finally it escalated to physical and my son punched him in the face. Issue resolved, kid avoids him now. All at school, no teachers did a thing. Maybe we dont have enough spoiled rich kids with lawyers on retainer here......
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 PM   #41
miket
Pope & Young
 
miket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plantersville
Hunt In: Grimes County, Victoria
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Yep. Until they're pushed to the point of not caring and the bully and anyone else that can't run fast enough has bullet holes in them.

I'd let the principal and the kid know next time he will connect and you'll deal with the consequences then.
Thats what happens when you take away a kids ability to defend themselves and put it into the hands of the school. The school cannot and will not be able to handle all the issues. And when it isnt handled and kids arent able to stand up for themselves it eats them up inside. Day after day till they snap and kill themselves or someone else. Why we take away their fundamental right to defend themselves is beyond my comprehension
miket is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #42
Dushon
Ten Point
 
Dushon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Brenham
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslinger View Post
How long has it been since some of y9ou have been in an elementary school and looked at the size of some of these kids? I have 2 in my unit that are as big if not bigger than I am and one for sure is. I am 6' and 200#'s and no way could I restrain them without one of us getting hurt! Some of these kids, probably held back at least 1 year, are monsters and could do some serious damage. The one kid I have that is way bigger than I am could very easily break a leg on me or my TA's or a teacher if he kicks you just right. He can kick a hole in an OSB wall with no problem and I have seen him do it!


You have 3rd graders that are 6í?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dushon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 PM   #43
mikemorvan
Pope & Young
 
mikemorvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Haltom City
Hunt In: vetements noirs
Default

It was a better day when boys could settle matters at recess. Settle up. It's over.
mikemorvan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:42 PM   #44
RJH1
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Abilene
Hunt In: Abilene area
Default

And public school is gay....
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 PM   #45
Texas8point
Pope & Young
 
Texas8point's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas
Default

Iím still reading and glad to know Iím not in this by myself. A punch in the face still seems the easiest way to handle but Iím too poor for a lawsuit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #46
TxDispatcher
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Conroe, Tx
Hunt In: East Texas Pineywoods, Austin County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemorvan View Post
It was a better day when boys could settle matters at recess. Settle up. It's over.
And more times than not, we would end up friends when the dust settled

As far as my kids go...they won't bow down to a bully. We may end up spending money on attorneys, but I'll be danged if I'll tell my kids that they have to take that bullying crap from anyone. Judge me all you want, I'm good with it
TxDispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #47
JAB71
Four Point
 
JAB71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Granbury, Tx
Hunt In: Erath, Milam County
Default

I just had my middle son, he’s a junior, deal with bullying. I told him to sucker punch the bully. In the end it got handled because he started bullying via text message and the school got involved.
My older son also got bullied during jr high. The kid was much smaller than my son and I told him it won’t stop till you handle it. I also told him to hit the kid and it will stop He ended up flattening him one day during football practice and it was over after that.

In the end I told my kids to end the problem through violence. I don’t believe in violence and don’t condone such behavior but when a kid has no recourse, the other parent won’t intervene and the school could care less. What’s a kid to do. I told both of them that there will be consequences and you will have to accept them. I am a Christian and felt that asking my kid to turn the other cheek and possibly get bullied for the rest of high school was not an option because they are trapped in school and can’t walk away from the situation.
JAB71 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #48
bigbad243
Ten Point
 
bigbad243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Fredericksburg and Hye Texas
Default

This is why everyone should get Texas Lawshield with the minor add on, then you will have representation in this type of event.
bigbad243 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:28 PM   #49
BuckyBevo
Spike
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Default

Correct answer is teach your kid how to throw a punch so next time he’ll connect!!
BuckyBevo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #50
tex4k
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Big Lake TX.
Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties
Default

Got a grandson dealing with this now. He asked and I gave him 2 bits of advice, 1. Don't let peoples words get to you, when people know which words punch your buttons, they control you! 2. Don't let anyone run over you in any, sure you might get in trouble, but standing up for yourself sometimes comes with a bit of trouble, just call your dad "BEFORE" you tell the principle to get bent. Before everyone jumps up to holler about telling the principle off, if him and his subordinates cared about stopping bullying, we wouldn't be where we are, if they don't want the kids stepping up, they need to get to stepping themselves.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com