Hot water heater making noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot water heater making noise

Our hot water makes a gurgling, or bubbling sound when we turn on the shower. What’s causing this. I drained out hot water heater last week thinking it would solve this problem. It’s a gas hot water heater. What do y’all think is the problem and how can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine too
    Following

Comment

Mineral build up in the tank, some could be the size of small rocks floating around in there.

Chunk it and get a new one. Are you on a well?

Comment

Originally posted by ostey22 View Post
        Mineral build up in the tank, some could be the size of small rocks floating around in there.

How do I get it out?

Comment

Originally posted by phibob808 View Post
          How do I get it out?

Drain it and then a lot of grunting and cussing. We move them outside anytime we cam in its own building attached to the house because it is usually a ***** getting them in and out of some tiny closet inside

Comment

What else could cause it. Mines brand new. Sounds like a rocket taking off!

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
              Drain it and then a lot of grunting and cussing. We move them outside anytime we cam in its own building attached to the house because it is usually a ***** getting them in and out of some tiny closet inside

So the only way to get the mineral deposits out is to get a new one?

Comment

Originally posted by Truckman View Post
                What else could cause it. Mines brand new. Sounds like a rocket taking off!
                It’s a new one huh? You got me brotha, only ones I dealt with are old with years of mineral build up. Maybe our TBH plumbers will chime in

Comment

Try draining it out a few times... There should be an faucet like fixture near the bottom... I would suggest turning the gas off first... Run a hose outside from the fixture and open the valve... Let water run out and see how much of the hard water deposits come out... You may also turn of the water supply off and let the whole tank drain than close the drain valve and open the supply line to refill tank... Repeat the flushing process several times until the majority of the build up is flushed out...

Comment

Sometimes its water hammer. An expansion tank can prevent this.

Water hammer is a knocking sound when a faucet is turned on or off.

Mine made some noises a couple of weeks ago, I went looking for the noise only to discover a stream of water spraying out. Some of it was missing the pan underneath, flooding the kitchen right next to utility closet. No problem, says I. I reach up and begin to close the valve on the cold water side, and I turn it for several mins until I convince myself fit is broken. No problem, I have a ball valve I can solder in, and get the water back on the house, and we have working toilets again. Shut off the house, install the new valve, open up the main valve with the new valve off, and still have water spraying out. Investigate, and locate a shower valve leaking through from hot to cold. Announce everyone to use the toilets while we have water, and shut down main, attach hose, drain water heater and go to bed, as its about 1:30 am by then. Scrounge money up and buy replacement heater next day. Why can anything not be easy?

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                      Sometimes its water hammer. An expansion tank can prevent this.

Water hammer is a knocking sound when a faucet is turned on or off.

Mine made some noises a couple of weeks ago, I went looking for the noise only to discover a stream of water spraying out. Some of it was missing the pan underneath, flooding the kitchen right next to utility closet. No problem, says I. I reach up and begin to close the valve on the cold water side, and I turn it for several mins until I convince myself fit is broken. No problem, I have a ball valve I can solder in, and get the water back on the house, and we have working toilets again. Shut off the house, install the new valve, open up the main valve with the new valve off, and still have water spraying out. Investigate, and locate a shower valve leaking through from hot to cold. Announce everyone to use the toilets while we have water, and shut down main, attach hose, drain water heater and go to bed, as its about 1:30 am by then. Scrounge money up and buy replacement heater next day. Why can anything not be easy?
                      This is what I was thinking, but I'm no plumber

As far as mineral deposits, drain and flush or check to see if there is a plug on the side somewhere that can be removed.
                      On electric you can take the lower element out (after you drain it) and have a little bit of room to work but not much

Comment

This is a small portion of what came out of one of my electric ones a few years ago

Comment

That's why you NEVER drink out of the hot water side. If you ever saw the inside of your pipes (if metal) you would never drink from there again. Water softeners, filters, and RO units are the way to go. No I do not sell them.
                          Water is a precious commodity and a lot of it is nasty. Hope you get the problem fixed.

Comment

Whelp, looks like Ill be replacing a water heater in the near future as mine is making ridiculous amounts of noise.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                              This is a small portion of what came out of one of my electric ones a few years ago

Yep . I drained ours then ran a shop vac inside it. Got all I could then used an arrow shaft to bust more loose

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X