mixing wild hog with venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixing wild hog with venison

Anyone done this for ground meat and if so how did it turn out?

I use it to make pan sausage. Works fine.

Comment

I have 20% brisket added to my ground venison. It is awesome that way.

I have never tried mixing hog meat with it.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I do that when I make breakfast sausage. I usually do about as much wild pig meat as deer meat. I then add pork trimmings in that I buy from the store. Grind it up and add my seasoning.

No particular reason. I just like the way it taste.

Comment

I always add hog meat in with the venison sausage - tastes great!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            I have 20% brisket added to my ground venison. It is awesome that way.

I have never tried mixing hog meat with it.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            I usually use brisket but killed a hog and wanted to try mixing it with the venison, but curious about the outcome. Maybe mix venison, hog and brisket?

Comment

I didn't learn on the first time so I paid the same processor again to mess it up twice. Uneatable at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
                I didn't learn on the first time so I paid the same processor again to mess it up twice. Uneatable at best.
                X2 but I learned the first time

Comment

We make hamburger with venison and wild pork all the time. We mix 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork. Turns out great every time. Don't go and use an old boar though

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhuntingobsession View Post
                    We make hamburger with venison and wild pork all the time. We mix 2/3 venison to 1/3 pork. Turns out great every time. Don't go and use an old boar though
                    He wasn't old. Weighed about 100 lbs

Comment

During the season, I cut the meat that I am going to grind into chucks and freeze it as I kill an animal. At the end of the season I thaw it all out and mix it up, add some bacon bits and pieces for fat and grind it for ground meat. This year that will include WT, Aoudad, wild hog, and hopefully some axis. For sausage I get extra fat from the butcher and add that into the meat that will be made into sausage.

I like my regular ground meat pretty lean, but for sausage you have to have a lot more fat or it will be so dry it will choke you.....lol

Comment

One of our best results was when we mixed mule deer, elk, and a 90lb wild hog for medium link sausage. All three animals were very well dressed and started chilling within an hour on the hoof.

Family and friends said they thought it was the best yet before I had explained the difference from previous efforts with the purchased pork from the processor.

I'm going to test the same with nilgai, whitetail, and wild hog this spring.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                          One of our best results was when we mixed mule deer, elk, and a 90lb wild hog for medium link sausage. All three animals were very well dressed and started chilling within an hour on the hoof.

Family and friends said they thought it was the best yet before I had explained the difference from previous efforts with the purchased pork from the processor.

I'm going to test the same with nilgai, whitetail, and wild hog this spring.
                          Your going tom love the results. In my opinion nilgai is the best wild game there is

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post

Yep. To lean.

Comment

I mix wild deer with pork and it works great for sausage.😁

Comment

Working...
                              X