Hunt the new moon or week before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt the new moon or week before?

Trying to make a hunt to get my son a shot at his 1st deer in Nov. the weeeknd of 11/17 falls on the new moon and just past the peak of rut. The weekend before, 11/11 is 37% waning crescent with the moon rising around 12:30 and hitting transit around 7:15.

If you were picking between the 2, which would you go for?

11/11 but either weekend will be great with your boy!!!!

Comment

11/11

Comment

11/11 is my wife's birthday and a date I have in my notes as a time where our Angelo area rut really starts to show itself. It's an easy choice for me.

Comment

11/11

Comment

Both

Comment

Which ever one provides the most time in the stand.

Comment

I'm hunting both!

Comment

11/11

Comment

I'm probably wrong but I like the new moon. I think the deer are less likely to move and feed at night if it is dark and moonless, preferably overcast so no stars to add light either. I think these conditions will cause deer to move in the early morning light presenting more opportunities for a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Mesquite Archer View Post
                      I'm probably wrong but I like the new moon. I think the deer are less likely to move and feed at night if it is dark and moonless, preferably overcast so no stars to add light either. I think these conditions will cause deer to move in the early morning light presenting more opportunities for a shot.
                      This has been my dad's experience, I personally have not

Comment

Got through doing some line locates today a little later than normal, today is two days before the new moon, began seeing deer out feeding about 6pm and saw them until it got to dark to see past the headlights.

Comment

I quit worrying about how full/not full moon years ago and I started paying attention to where the moon was relative to my head and feet.
                          Last edited by Deathrow Jethro; 10-18-2017, 06:56 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

Hunt anytime you possibly can. Life's short!

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Working...
                              X