Shoot the pig or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoot the pig or not

So I have been chasing a big buck and last weekend I shot a pig that ran 40 yards and died. Double lung shot and arrow stuck in ground right under feeder. 45minutes later big buck comes out but never comes in and acts like he knows what happened. So question is, do y’all shoot pigs and jeopardize a shot at a big deer? I have always shot if a pigs shows up but thinking sling shot now.

Definitely shoot the pig(s). Your bow won't make much sound and that's one less piggie you'll have to worry about coming in and running your deer off.

Comment

Since i got the time as im retired it’s KAP! If i was not retired and hunting on borrowed time or a limited amount i might not KAP and wait if i had a deer that was somewhat working a pattern. Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Late in the morning hunt KAP.
        Early in the evening hunt KAP.
        Prime time leave him be.

Comment

Personally, I'd shoot the pig if it presented a shot -- as you did. Meat for the freezer. Now, if you knew there was a certain tremendous buck that came in like clockwork -- and -- you had plenty of meat already, then maybe let the pig walk. But, I would imagine folks would have many individual factors that would come into play in this scenario.

Comment

So if you don't KAP, does he hang around ? If he does, then the likelihood of the Big buck coming in is pretty slim. Haven't seen many mature whitetail that will tolerate a pig in the same area. Most whitetails spook when a Pig is in the area. I say KAP unless the target buck is in the immediate area at the time.

Comment

I’m not so concerned about the sound, was thinking more about the smell of a dead pig to deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Barrett View Post
                I’m not so concerned about the sound, was thinking more about the smell of a dead pig to deer.
                Probably not near as much concern to the buck as a live pig under the feeder. The deer won't come in if the pig is there. There is a chance he'll come if you shoot the pig and he runs off. I don't see a problem shooting the pig, unless you just leave it laying and don't drag it off.

Comment

if I am deer hunting and a pig walks out, it becomes a pig hunt!

Comment

Always Shoot the Pig.

Comment

Choot

Comment

Ive been watching this on my camera for a couple of months with the same pig and deer. The deer leave when the boar shows up, but they will hang out close by and when he leaves they all come back. I have even seen them run him off of the protein and he will come back and clean up any they drop. I don't worry about it because they all live together out there anyway. The reason I don't kill him is because this is in a major bedding and travel area where I hand corn and they travel thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                          Always Shoot the Pig.
                          Uh-huh !

Comment

Originally posted by LWC View Post
                            Probably not near as much concern to the buck as a live pig under the feeder. The deer won't come in if the pig is there. There is a chance he'll come if you shoot the pig and he runs off. I don't see a problem shooting the pig, unless you just leave it laying and don't drag it off.
                            I shot a pig a few years ago with my rifle when he was about 40 yards from my feeder - DRT. A couple of deer coming from the same direction would not come to the feeder while the pig was piled up there.
                            I will still shoot any pig that shows up (with my bow). But, if it dies nearby, I will go drag it away from the area.
                            I agree that the smell (of death) doesn't affect the deer. The first buck I shot with my bow fell in his tracks at the feeder and was literally bleeding like a faucet was turned on. That afternoon, I had several deer feeding around the feeder oblivious (or not caring) about the blood spilled earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
                              if I am deer hunting and a pig walks out, it becomes a pig hunt!
                              Same for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X