Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legal trailer weight/ 3/4 ton Truck TX??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
    Look inside your driver side door panel. There should be a sticker for your specific truck configuration showing gross vehicle weight. For your truck, I'd venture to say your max trailer weight is going to be somewhere around 11 to 13000 lb.

What is utterly ridiculous is American Tax paying citizens getting tickets for being slightly overweight yet I constantly see Mexicans that are Towing 2 vehicles behind a minivan, all of which they just bought at auction. I'd like to know how many of them get stopped by DPS.
    great answer? and comment ..

Comment

Going through something similar myself. I work in Oklahoma so have to go by federal interstate regulations of staying below 10,001 lbs of GCVR before needing usdot #'s and the works. I'm thinking of just downsizing truck and trailer to stay under the number.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
        Going through something similar myself. I work in Oklahoma so have to go by federal interstate regulations of staying below 10,001 lbs of GCVR before needing usdot #'s and the works. I'm thinking of just downsizing truck and trailer to stay under the number.
        Where do you find this? My truck is right at 9000 lbs with just me in it, and both tanks full of diesel. Throw a cab load of grown men in it, and I’m already pushing 10,000 lbs before I hitch on my 10k-13k gooseneck. There’s usually 4 of us once we start crossing state lines in it, and I’m pushing every bit of my GCVR, and have to load most of our gear on the trailer to stay within limits.
        Last edited by TX03RUBI; 06-13-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

My understanding is you must stay under the GCVWR of truck and trailer addeded together. The GCVWR of truck is on door and the trailer GCVWR will be on the trailer. add those two numbers up and stay under that number

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            Where do you find this? My truck is right at 9000 lbs with just me in it, and both tanks full of diesel. Throw a cab load of grown men in it, and I’m already pushing 10,000 lbs before I hitch on my 10k-13k gooseneck. There’s usually 4 of us once we start crossing state lines in it, and I’m pushing every bit of my GCVR, and have to load most of our gear on the trailer to stay within limits.
            Door of the truck. My '17 Duramax is 10000 by itself, my '09 Tundra is 7100. The tandem trailer I pull is 7000 lbs. That puts my lightest set-up at 14100 combined. I could get away with a single axle enclosed trailer of about 3200 gvwr and probably go to a tacoma at 5600 gvwr for a combined weight under the limit. Its gonna suck but I can do it. I don't tow a trailer the 220 mile daily round trip, I have a shop up there I keep the trailer in so I only tow about 20 miles a day, unless I have to bring the trailer home for local work. Got popped by Oklahoma State Trooper last Monday because of my Texas Tags and towing my trailer. He gave me a trailer safety inspection. I was in my Duramax and was at 17000 lbs. I got violations for no usdot #, no fire extinguisher, no safety cones, no driver health card, and no displayed usdot #.

Comment

What kind of trailer and what are you trying to tow and how often?

Comment

As far as license goes.... as long as the truck and trailer GVWR when added together equals less than 26,001 lbs and the trailer weighs more than 10,000 lbs you're good to go...

Weight wise... The truck GVWR and GAWR can not be exceeded... very possible with a large trailer..

These are two entirely different things.. look at the sticker on your driver's door post for the GVWR and then check your registration for licensed GWVR... they are not mutually inclusive..

Example.. When I bought my last dually.. the legal GVWR is 14,000 lbs... However the dealer decided to register it for 9600 GVWR... big problem when I drop my 2800 lbs of pin weight on the 5th wheel..

Note this is for personal use... Non-Commercial only...

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
                  Door of the truck. My '17 Duramax is 10000 by itself, my '09 Tundra is 7100. The tandem trailer I pull is 7000 lbs. That puts my lightest set-up at 14100 combined. I could get away with a single axle enclosed trailer of about 3200 gvwr and probably go to a tacoma at 5600 gvwr for a combined weight under the limit. Its gonna suck but I can do it. I don't tow a trailer the 220 mile daily round trip, I have a shop up there I keep the trailer in so I only tow about 20 miles a day, unless I have to bring the trailer home for local work. Got popped by Oklahoma State Trooper last Monday because of my Texas Tags and towing my trailer. He gave me a trailer safety inspection. I was in my Duramax and was at 17000 lbs. I got violations for no usdot #, no fire extinguisher, no safety cones, no driver health card, and no displayed usdot #.
                  If that’s the case I’ll take the ticket if it comes. I’m not getting a DOT#, and when I start crossing state lines I’m usually in the 21-24k range. I tend to stay out of OK, but NM, CO, UT, AZ, ID, MT, and WY are normal for me. Haven’t had issues with them yet. Hopefully I never do.

Wait is this for commercial use that you’re talking about? That would make more sense to me.
                  Last edited by TX03RUBI; 06-13-2018, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    If that’s the case I’ll take the ticket if it comes. I’m not getting a DOT#, and when I start crossing state lines I’m usually in the 21-24k range. I tend to stay out of OK, but NM, CO, UT, AZ, ID, MT, and WY are normal for me. Haven’t had issues with them yet. Hopefully I never do.
                    Hopefully you don't. I have 15 days to get in compliance with current set-up. After that, Trooper said he could red flag the trailer on the 2nd violation. I'd hate to have to leave my trailer on the side of the road.

Comment

Yes I'm talking commercial. Non commercial you are good to 25,999 lbs I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        Look inside your driver side door panel. There should be a sticker for your specific truck configuration showing gross vehicle weight. For your truck, I'd venture to say your max trailer weight is going to be somewhere around 11 to 13000 lb.

What is utterly ridiculous is American Tax paying citizens getting tickets for being slightly overweight yet I constantly see Mexicans that are Towing 2 vehicles behind a minivan, all of which they just bought at auction. I'd like to know how many of them get stopped by DPS.
                        The dirty secret is that the government doesn't really care about any ones safety they care that you have the money to pay the ticket and will suffer the consequences if you don't pay , and they know the illegals will never pay the fines and since they don't have any real identities they can never get the fines from them, I have heard this from LEO s who have said they told don't even pull them over it's just a waste of their time

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                          The dirty secret is that the government doesn't really care about any ones safety they care that you have the money to pay the ticket and will suffer the consequences if you don't pay , and they know the illegals will never pay the fines and since they don't have any real identities they can never get the fines from them, I have heard this from LEO s who have said they told don't even pull them over it's just a waste of their time
                          The problem is, in most cases it’s not just a fine. You’ll be required to either unhook the trailer or have someone with a CDL come get it if they choose to play that way.

I haven’t been able to get a straight answer about DOT. Technically, I believe they can ticket you for pulling a trailer RATED over 10k lbs, regardless of what the load on it is, even for personal use.

It is possible to find equipment trailers with dual 7k axles rated for 9,999.

Comment

Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                            How much weight can I legally haul on a trailer in Tx?
                            I have a regular class C license (actually I have a class B and M, but I know those don't help me with the trailer).
                            My truck is a 3/4 ton.
                            Assuming that I am not putting more weight on the trailer than it is rated for.
                            Thanks.

We need more info to answer that for you. Need to know the GVWR or the truck and trailer at a minimum. Off of that I could guesstimate about how much you would be able to haul. On a lot of the newer trailers they state on the sticker the maximum weight the cargo can be. Of course, you could go over that a little since some of that weight is going to be shared with the back axle of the pickup.

Comment

Also a lot of people do not know that there are different classes of operator licenses. There are a lot of people pulling these nice 40' fifth wheel travel trailers that can get a ticket for not having the right license. These require a Class A operators license.

When you start moving anything in commerce is when you have to have the CDL.

Comment

Originally posted by gvick View Post
                                Also a lot of people do not know that there are different classes of operator licenses. There are a lot of people pulling these nice 40' fifth wheel travel trailers that can get a ticket for not having the right license. These require a Class A operators license.

When you start moving anything in commerce is when you have to have the CDL.

If the 5th wheel is for personal use and the tow vehicle is rated for the weight and under 26k gross, why would they need a class a?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X