Best bean recipe?

About to give it a whirl. Never tried it for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been wanting to try this recipe.

Comment

Originally posted by WTN View Post
      I’ve been wanting to try this recipe.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...light=Borracho
      This one. Go with Benny's recipe. Soak or don't soak. Great beans either way.

Comment

I like to use a basic recipe without adding any salt to the pinto beans during the cook. I use smoked hocks and I add a couple cups of Chico’s that have been soaked for about five hours prior to the cook. Quality NM horno smoked Chico’s are the best to use.

Our New Mexico chicos are grown in Moriarty. The sweet corn is harvested a few days after it is fresh-market ready so the kernels are nice and plump. Order now.

Comment

I've always been told to never add salt until the end of the cook. Salt will make the skin tough. Also, I always throw in couple pats of butter at the end as well. I like to make mine Charo style. Bacon, onion, tomato, garlic, small slices hot dog, chicharrones, jalapeno or serrano. Its a meal in itself. mmmmm

Comment

Always enjoyed my moms pinto beans. Some meat (ham hock, venison, beef, whatever), a big onion and lots of fajita seasoning. Always came out AWESOME.

Comment

Cooking beans in salted water will not make their skin tougher, this is an old wives' tale that has been disproven.

Comment

Have you ever had beans at Pappasito's...

Make Pappasito's Cantina Frijoles a la Charra with this easy copycat recipe. Charro beans made with pinto beans, bacon, onion, and tomatoes.

Comment

Anyone let their beans soak over night?

Comment

Originally posted by crimson-talon View Post

I always try to soak them overnight. Then cook in chicken stock with a pound of bacon and seasoning of your choice. Fiesta makes a pinto bean seasoning that is good. Add rotel if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by crimson-talon View Post

yes. seems to help.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                        Cooking beans in salted water will not make their skin tougher, this is an old wives' tale that has been disproven.

could be. just the way most of the old generation Mexican ladies do it and told me. I've just always kept with that tradition because of that. Doesn't hurt to wait.

Comment

I have tried all different things but the best version is in an electric pressure cooker. It cooks them super fast and they come out really soft. To hell with burning up a ton of propane on the stove and never getting them soft enough!

Comment

Look up five heart home pinto bean recipe. That's the one I use. Wife loves it. I usually don't eat them, but I do this recipe. I just put them on in the morning before work in a crockpot and let it go all day. I usually use lean spiral cut ham instead of bacon. I also use rotel with habanero. I never have to soak them if in a crockpot. But I have tried it that way. Just makes them cook faster.

Comment

Working...
                            X