Need Bike Shorts advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Bike Shorts advice

To make a short story longer... I will be taking a IPMBA (police bike) course in a couple weeks. It was advised that I get a pair of the gel/padded shorts. Needless to say, I have ridden bikes and still have a mountain bike I ride. But, I have never thought of wearing anything that tight and to add a wedge of padding under my crotch.

What brand should I look for?

Pros/Cons of wearing them/not wearing them?

Any place to find them on a good deal?

Has anyone gotten out of it and have a pair they want to part with that would fit someone with a 38" waist?

Thank you in advance for any and all advice or jokes about me riding a bike.

Casey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about a gel seat or gel seat cover instead of the shorts?

Comment

The only thing worse than wanting bike shorts is wanting a pair that a man has already rode a bike on!!!!!
      Last edited by AntlerCollector; 08-01-2017, 09:15 AM.

Comment

For spending long hours in the saddle, bike shorts are a must IMO. The extra padding in all the right places and their moisture-wicking properties will make it much more comfortable. You might want to look at mountain bike shorts - they are casual and loose fitting, often referred to as "baggy bike shorts" because of their loose fit relative to the traditional spandex biking shorts. The outside shell layer is a loose fitting short with an internal padded biking short. My favorite brand is Pearl Izumi

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          What about a gel seat or gel seat cover instead of the shorts?

I will be issued a bike from the pd. My personal bike has a gel seat, I can not modify their bike though.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            The only thing worse than wanting bike shorts is wanting a pair that a man has already rode a bike on!!!!!

Lol, after speaking with several people ability this...it is now determined that I would not want used.. unless brand new. I had no idea that skivvies are not worn under the shorts.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              For spending long hours in the saddle, bike shorts are a must IMO. The extra padding in all the right places and their moisture-wicking properties will make it much more comfortable. You might want to look at mountain bike shorts - they are casual and loose fitting, often referred to as "baggy bike shorts" because of their loose fit relative to the traditional spandex biking shorts. The outside shell layer is a loose fitting short with an internal padded biking short. My favorite brand is Pearl Izumi

I have heard of the loose shorts. Unfortunately I will be in full police gear while riding and have to have the right fitting shorts. Pearl Izumi is a good brand? Do they make the right shorts as well? Purchase online?

Thanks
              Casey

Comment

I buy the Pearl Izumi road bike shorts online. Road bike shorts come in two styles - regular and bib. The bibs have built in mesh suspenders to keep them from sagging. (helpful if you have a belly) The only downside is you have to remove your shirt to take a leak! Whether its Pearl or another brand you will see various price points for different models. Shorts that are constructed with more "panels" fit better but are more expensive. They also come in different lengths which is personal preference. (just don't get the real short ones!)

Comment

I'd find a saddle that fits you first. I can't believe they wouldn't let you put a different saddle on the bike? Brooks Cambium are great if you get the right width for you sit bones. No bike shorts with a proper fitting saddle is ten times more comfortable than the other way around.
                  Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    I buy the Pearl Izumi road bike shorts online. Road bike shorts come in two styles - regular and bib. The bibs have built in mesh suspenders to keep them from sagging. (helpful if you have a belly) The only downside is you have to remove your shirt to take a leak! Whether its Pearl or another brand you will see various price points for different models. Shorts that are constructed with more "panels" fit better but are more expensive. They also come in different lengths which is personal preference. (just don't get the real short ones!)
                    Jerp is dead on

It's worth the investment in a decent pair. Any local bike shop will have them as well as Dicks or Academy there are a nuncio of brands and Pearl is a good one. You can buy online or if there is a Pearl Izumi store near you they always have really good sale sections. You can also check places like theclymb.com, good deals on there

Comment

I bought a pair from Academy - ~$35. They might even be a store brand vs. some fancy brand.

They look like normal black shorts slighlty baggy from the outside (i.e. not spandex) but have a liner that's like boxer/briefs with gel type pad that's protects cushions the delicate parts.

After a couple of hours without the cushion you'll be thinking $35 is pretty cheap.

Comment

Thanks for the replies fellas. Definitely out of my comfort zone on this one... no pun intended.

Comment

Gel seat covers are horrible for long times in the saddle. They compress and grind on your crotch, causing much irritation and sometimes even saddle sores. A more solid, less padded seat with a good fitting pair of cycling shorts will always be more comfortable and better for you.

Pearl Izumi makes really nice shorts and bibs, but Castelli is the cats meow! There are several brands in between, and almost every bike maker has a named line. In full gear, I would think bibs would be too cumbersome to wear in case you have to use the restroom as mentioned above.

Academy sells a line that should be sufficient for your needs, and the price is good. If you buy online, be careful when buying from Amazon. A lot of their suppliers are from Asia, and the sizing is off.

A local bike shop should have tons of useful information on fit and function, so swing by one and see if they can help. The first pair needs to be the best pair bought from people who know what they are talking about, the you can buy duplicates on line probably cheaper.

Hope this helped and good luck with the test. Those super slow corners are tough.

Comment

option 1) baggy bike shorts, they have the pad built in. performance.com

option 2) you can wear a regular pair of cycling shorts(tights) and breathable shell over them.

I have a few option 1 and 2 personally.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                              Gel seat covers are horrible for long times in the saddle. They compress and grind on your crotch, causing much irritation and sometimes even saddle sores. A more solid, less padded seat with a good fitting pair of cycling shorts will always be more comfortable and better for you.

Pearl Izumi makes really nice shorts and bibs, but Castelli is the cats meow! There are several brands in between, and almost every bike maker has a named line. In full gear, I would think bibs would be too cumbersome to wear in case you have to use the restroom as mentioned above.

Academy sells a line that should be sufficient for your needs, and the price is good. If you buy online, be careful when buying from Amazon. A lot of their suppliers are from Asia, and the sizing is off.

A local bike shop should have tons of useful information on fit and function, so swing by one and see if they can help. The first pair needs to be the best pair bought from people who know what they are talking about, the you can buy duplicates on line probably cheaper.

Hope this helped and good luck with the test. Those super slow corners are tough.

Awesome info, thank you!!

Comment

Working...
                              X