Best way to get started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to get started?

Just wondering what you guys thought was the best way to get started in 3D Tournaments would be? Is it just to register for your class and go for it?

I try to shoot alot, maybe 100-150 shots a week. Should that number be alot higher? I'm thinking it should be alot higher. Are some stabilezers and sites betters than other for 3D, or bows for that matter? I have a Hoyt Rampage XT that is on order. Will mostly be hunting but would like to dabble in some Tournaments and see how it goes. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Thats what I did. Good friend and tbh'er Dave Inbody took me on my first one.

Shot tournaments for years until having kids took me away from it.

Comment

I've been shooting 3D since 2001, I found then and still believe the best teacher is to just jump right in, even with just a few fun rounds, pick a class, you will learn straight from the very folks who at one point were in your very shoes.

Could at least save you a chunk of money on unnecessary gear.

Comment

yeah i was thinking of just diving in, using what i got now and going from there, as it stands now the bow i use is about 15 years old, but by the end of the week that will change, woohoo. but it just looks like lots of fun

Comment

You are getting a hunting bow and you are obviosuly a hunter. That being said I would recommend starting in the Bow Novice 3D class and do that for your first year. You shoot targets anywhere from 20-30 yards with 30 yards maximum. Then the next year you can go move up to the Hunter Class which you would shoot 20-40 yards (40 yards max). If you are a decent shot or you take hunting shots on game up to 40 yards already you may even consider joining the hunter class right away.

Most importantly Its whatever you feel comfortable doing. Most people who shoot hunting bows start off in the Novice class to get a feel for it, but I know of others who started right off in the Hunter Class. In the hunter class you cn use a sight with pins and a magnification lens. I just pop the lens out of the sight for use when hunting. You can use up to a 12 inch Stabilizer in the Hunter Class as well. I drop back down to a 7 inch stabilizer for hunting as it can be awkward maneuvering around in the woods and tree stands with my 3D stabilizer on my bow. I tried that on a few hunts and it was annoying.

Comment

thanks for the info, i heard that is the abilene bow hunters club around here that has a pretty good 3d range will by trying to head out there this weekend and check it out. i was defiantly figuring on starting in the lower level. i can hit most 3d targets, but i'm defiantly not the best shot, but would like to think i am ok. the man reason i'd like to do the 3d is to get better and learn from others

Comment

I got into it last year with my son Colby "9" we have a blast. I shoot hunter but Im not very good at judging distance but getting better. You will have fun if you enjoy shooting your bow. Just keep a eye on here you will see alot of shoots.

Comment

The Archery Club of Young County is having our monthly club shoot this weekend. It's $15 for non-members to shoot and we'll be shooting 30 targets. We hosted our first ASA Qualifier Shoot this year just a couple of months ago and everybody raved about the set ups we done.

Grab your bow and come have some fun, it's the best way to get your feet wet. We try very hard to make sure that everyone has a good time.

If you have any questions, PM me......I'll be glad to help.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by ashx2 View Post
                  The Archery Club of Young County is having our monthly club shoot this weekend. It's $15 for non-members to shoot and we'll be shooting 30 targets. We hosted our first ASA Qualifier Shoot this year just a couple of months ago and everybody raved about the set ups we done.

Grab your bow and come have some fun, it's the best way to get your feet wet. We try very hard to make sure that everyone has a good time.

Greg
                  C'mon now...don't be running a game on a brother... you know good and well y'all don't have any water over there either.

Comment

LOL! I'll pour water on anybody that wants it! And I'll do it with a smile! C'mon out and I'll show ya!

Comment

I have just started shooting this year and have had a blast at serveral club 3d shoots. Like Ifishdad stated judging the distance is the hard part. Get the distance correct then hitting the target is not all that hard. I would bring some good binos to look over the target, the scoring rings are not always where you think they are. Good Luck and Happy shooting.

Comment

Originally posted by ashx2 View Post

Greg
                        sounds life fun, if have my bow set up by then i will, it's currently on order but hope to have it by friday and my current bow lost the site and rest cause it's going on the new rig, also please forgive me i'm not from tx or abilene even though i live there, where in the world is Young County

Comment

that sounds like a lot of fun is there one close to kerrville? 40yards... i wish i had a place to try,my yard only lets me get to 30 yards. after that iam out in the street.my freak out the neibors if i start trying to hit my traget from the street.luckly if i do i know most the city marshes in my town of ingram so no biggy,put just dont want to freak out neibors....

Comment

Young County - Graham, TX We're just an hour/half to the northeast of Abilene.

Comment

Working...
                            X