Hunting south Bexar county

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting south Bexar county

Does anyone hunt in south bexar county? Specifically between I37 and hwy 16 outside 1604.
    I have some deer on camera but all at night and a couple good bucks. When is the rut? Is the hunting better in late season when it's cooler?
    Thanks

Paging TBHer "Masters" to the customer service counter . . . .

Comment

I live on the northern edge of bexar county and we've killed several bucks at the house. All the bucks we watch all year on camera and the few we've taken, they just happen to slip up at the very end of rifle season. That's all I have for ya sorry, but good luck and don't give up!

The biggest buck my dad took we watched for 3 years and never saw him during daylight during deer season til the very last evening of rifle season.

Comment

They have started chasing in the last couple of weeks in northern Bexar county. Not full on rut but bucks are showing interest. Should be kicking in within a week or 2. Secondary rut follows about 4weeks later.

I was down near 90 and 1604 a few months back where the brush shifts toward the S Texas flavor and looks like it should provide plenty of groceries for good deer. The further south you go, the rut is later toward the beginning of December I believe.

Comment

I hunt between 37 and 16 on the Atascosa border. The young buck have already started trying to run the does. But the big boys won't come out till the 20th or so to run the does best time iv had for deer is between Nov 20 ish to Christmas

Comment

The area you describe is where my parents live. I have a mess of pigs coming in.

Comment

Honestly it depends on where you are. You head south and there is an imaginary line in the brush where north of it you'll get Sandy post oak savannah deer activity and south of it and you'll get south Texas plains activity. Difference being the rut activity between the two. Sandy post oak savannah they've been moving for a week or so seeing some mature deer in the mix till near thanksgiving as mentioned above. South Texas plains you won't see any rut activity till December 15th and it'll go on thru New Years. I've never noticed either being super intense, been more of a trickle it seems. South of Pleasanton will be the later rut, north of poteet will be the earlier rut. This is just my opinion and observation so take it for what it's worth
              Last edited by MASTERS; 11-07-2016, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I'm in Sandy post oaks and noticed alot of acorns on ground and was this why I may not be seeing much. About twice a week I have good size group of hogs come in but around midnight. I have some does a 4pt, about a 3.5 to 4.5 8pt and a nice 10pt on camera but all at night. Only have gotten 4pt on camera during day light and that was 2 days ago. I check the camera only once a week to keep from driving to back to often. Just wondering get if they will ever start showing up during daylight? Thanks for replys!

Comment

I was dealing with the same thing good bucks all at night I live on the bexar wilson county line outside 1604 just saw a knockdown drag out fight with two bucks and a doe was rite near by I think things just kicked off!

Comment

Originally posted by Adam G. View Post
                    I'm in Sandy post oaks and noticed alot of acorns on ground and was this why I may not be seeing much. About twice a week I have good size group of hogs come in but around midnight. I have some does a 4pt, about a 3.5 to 4.5 8pt and a nice 10pt on camera but all at night. Only have gotten 4pt on camera during day light and that was 2 days ago. I check the camera only once a week to keep from driving to back to often. Just wondering get if they will ever start showing up during daylight? Thanks for replys!
                    More than likely the pressure around you is keeping them nocturnal.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunt life View Post
                      I was dealing with the same thing good bucks all at night I live on the bexar wilson county line outside 1604 just saw a knockdown drag out fight with two bucks and a doe was rite near by I think things just kicked off!
                      Been seeing them chase in Wilson county for about a week now, and surprisingly a few mature deer have joined in. Seems like they usually don't till later after the younger bucks have acted like fools for a couple of weeks.....

Comment

Yea the acorns been killing me lately but we'll see if this streak of cooler Temps this week dose us any good. Good luck keep me posted

Comment

they are rutting by elmendorf off 1604

Comment

Nice I hope we get enough cool weather to really get them moving

Comment

Originally posted by Adam G. View Post
                              You just said everything my cameras are showing. ....

Comment

Working...
                              X