New gun but with a catch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New gun but with a catch

After a fellow TBH ordered a custom gun from West Texas Ordnance and seeing the APR deal i decided i needed a custom gun. The wife thought otherwise but said if i ran a Half marathon i could order one. (She just finished the Chicago Marathon this past Sunday and I am super proud of that amazing achievement)

So ive packed on a few pounds since football (up to about 315 after all that Chicago deep dish this weekend) Anyone else go from fat guy to running a half marathon? Ive got 20 weeks until the fort worth Cowtown that ive signed up for and need to run for the gun.

Scott

Do you need to "run" or just complete it? Is there a time limit? Seems like 13.1 jog/walk is doable. Good for you guys. A completed marathon (or half) is an accomplishment.

Comment

I was up to 265 at one time and now 190ish. I run often. I would recommend losing weight before running. Start with an elliptical or bike. Running at 315 would really hurt. Good luck!

Comment

If you have any feet or knee issues I wouldn't jump straight into running. Also find a good pair of running shoes.

Start fixing your diet immediately to start losing some weight and do some low Impact cardio to start off with then start increasing the intensity.

Comment

I would start by walking either at the gym or the neighborhood trails. Write down everything you eat and drink for two weeks or so and see where those extra calories are coming from. You will be surprised.

Comment

I have to complete it so plan to speed walk jog it mostly. Never had knee problems or anything but would like to finish it before the 4:30 mark

Did 2.5 miles last night on the treadmill we have in like 40Min and was not out of breath or anything. Still under the 20Min mile requirement and feel pretty good today.

Comment

Good on ya! And, congrats to your wife!

I'm currently working the couch to 10k program (C210K). I used to run a lot but packed on the pounds and got out of shape. Take it slow! 315# is a lot for knees and ankles if you haven't been very active.

I would start with stretching. Hips, quads, hamstrings, calves. That was one of the biggest issues I'd discovered when I started running again was how 'tight' my body was.

Without a change in diet you're not going to see a big change in weight.

Start stretching, clean up diet and start with a min. 30 min walk each day for the first week or so to get your body moving again. Then, start the C210K program. It's easy if you use the app. Warm up walk 5 min, then 60 sec run, 2 min walk, repeat a few times with a 5 min could down walk - it progresses from there.

Good luck and congrats on the new rifle.

Comment

Originally posted by chongo View Post
                Good on ya! And, congrats to your wife!

I'm currently working the couch to 10k program (C210K). I used to run a lot but packed on the pounds and got out of shape. Take it slow! 315# is a lot for knees and ankles if you haven't been very active.

I would start with stretching. Hips, quads, hamstrings, calves. That was one of the biggest issues I'd discovered when I started running again was how 'tight' my body was.

Without a change in diet you're not going to see a big change in weight.

Start stretching, clean up diet and start with a min. 30 min walk each day for the first week or so to get your body moving again. Then, start the C210K program. It's easy if you use the app. Warm up walk 5 min, then 60 sec run, 2 min walk, repeat a few times with a 5 min could down walk - it progresses from there.

Good luck and congrats on the new rifle.

Thank yea! Ive been active. We walked a good 8 miles in chicago chasing her and been running a mile after work here and there so its not been all couch time. I plan to speed walk most of this but yea its drastic diet change that will hopefully drop the pounds and as i build with walking i can ease into running. I feel with some training i could walk it no problem in under 4:30 being 6'3" my stride is 3MPH but would like to go quicker.

The change was needed badly.

Comment

I've been over 300lbs. Your feet are going to be the problem. You're going to have to start eating different. You can't burn enough calories to lose the weight.

I'm saying to lose the weight to make it easier on your feet, I'm not trying to be an a-hole that tells you to lose weight.

I think you can do it, but your feet are going to be blown out for a couple days
                  Last edited by adam_p; 10-16-2019, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Put your order in. You got this!

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                      I've been over 300lbs. Your feet are going to be the problem. You're going to have to start eating different. You can't burn enough calories to lose the weight.

I'm saying to lose the weight to make it easier on your feet, I'm not trying to be an a-hole that tells you to lose weight.

I think you can do it, but your feet are going to be blown out for a couple days
                      I knew the lower end would and is going to be a problem. Im going to try and take it easier on the 2-4 mile walks i think as i lose weight. Going to try and cut drinking more and food types. Loosing 15-20lbs and walking i think will double the ease of doing this. Its all going to suck but i guess she didnt want to make it easy for a custom gun.

Comment

I recommend a KETO diet. I lost weight easily on it.

Comment

I need to show my wife this thread. I've wanting an APR build and need to drop some tonnage. Wish you were closes I'd train with you.

Comment

Half marathon should be doable. As mentioned above feet and diet are the issues.

Get good running shoes - Go to a running store and get fitted.

I am also a big guy, 300+ is brutal on the body especially if you want to be active. You don't have to go crazy on diet, but it is really easy to use the tools available on apple watch etc. to track calories, set goals, and drop lbs.

I guess its up to you where you go with it. And if you are competitive.

You could A- Not train, suffer through a half, and have a new toy.

Or B- challenge yourself, set goals, and increase your quality of life in the long term, and treat the new toy as a trophy for your hard work.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                              Half marathon should be doable. As mentioned above feet and diet are the issues.

Get good running shoes - Go to a running store and get fitted.

I am also a big guy, 300+ is brutal on the body especially if you want to be active. You don't have to go crazy on diet, but it is really easy to use the tools available on apple watch etc. to track calories, set goals, and drop lbs.

I guess its up to you where you go with it. And if you are competitive.

You could A- Not train, suffer through a half, and have a new toy.

Or B- challenge yourself, set goals, and increase your quality of life in the long term, and treat the new toy as a trophy for your hard work.

Good luck
                              Plan is do do a hybrid of the a/b. Im going to suffer through it. I think its doable walking/woddling now but I was an Athlete my whole life so id like to do it with some competitiveness. Im trying to get my father-in-law to join in as well on possibly the 10k(Hes a bigger guy as well).

I needed a change and its going to be painful but so would being 315 lbs and who knows without checking 350 after a while. little pain now may save alot later

Comment

Working...
                              X