What arrows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What arrows?

I have an old Bear recurve I have used for bowfishing in the past. It's 42lbs at 28" which my draw will be a little short of that. Now that life is slowing down and I'm approaching retirement I'm looking at trying to get into traditional bows and try to get good enough to hunt with one. Then, if that works okay, I will look at other bows or building one. Trouble is those old fiberglass fishing arrows don't work good for where I'm going and I was wondering how to choose arrows. Can you shoot carbon arrows effectively or aluminum?

Aluminums work fine but I would say carbon is your best bet. I'm guessing that at that draw length and draw weight a 500 spine would work well. You just have to experiment with arrow length and tip weight until they fly straight. Tuning traditional arrows can be frustrating until you get a handle on all the different variables. This tutorial was very helpful to me:

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      Aluminums work fine but I would say carbon is your best bet. I'm guessing that at that draw length and draw weight a 500 spine would work well. You just have to experiment with arrow length and tip weight until they fly straight. Tuning traditional arrows can be frustrating until you get a handle on all the different variables. This tutorial was very helpful to me:

http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
      x2!!!!

Comment

lots of experimenting. I shoot Easton FMJ and Axis in my longbows and recurves and they fly great for me

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post

http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
          That's very helpful, thanks for posting

Comment

I'm thinking, at40# draw weight, the stiffest you should go on a carbon shaft would be .600 spine.

Bisch

Comment

But with every good traditional bow there should be some good ole wood arrows. Some Sitka Spruce with turkey fletching, maybe yellow spliced into the end of the cock feather and tipped with a razor sharp zwickey. I'm shaving down some Douglas fir blanks into shafts and they're pretty tough. Shot one of my first ones into a piece of metal and it bounced off unharmed, the field tip came off was all. My carbon arrow that hit it shoved the head down the shaft half an inch splintering the shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I'm thinking, at40# draw weight, the stiffest you should go on a carbon shaft would be .600 spine.

Bisch
                I second what bisch says i tr ed to tune a 500 spine and it was real heavy and always stiff no matter the weight. I have some beman mfx classics 600 and they flew great out of a.43# recurve. im down to 4 of those arrows so i will replace them with gold tips 1535 and using the tuning system i can adjust the flight by addingweight to the nock or point end. Also after the spine is adjusted. You can add weight. Bob sarrels shooots a.38# bow and uses a 700 spine or a kids arrow. He hunts with them too. You.can call meif u want! Its hard for me.to explain it online.

Comment

Sounds good. I had no idea where to start. All of the charts I'm familiar with are for compounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
                    Yes sir! 600 Spine Bloodsport Carbon's

Comment

I'll bet 600's! They are probably gonna spine out around 29" long for that bow and weight depending on how much weight you put up front.

Comment

I will try some 600s. Thanx guys.

Comment

Gary, I shoot traditional. Call me if you need any advice, or stop by to shoot.

Jeff

Comment

With respect to Bisch and the others, I'm shooting GT 500's off a 40# bow, with 100 gr inserts and 125 gr point and they fly like darts - when I do my job. I most recently took Beman Bowhunter 500's with a standard insert and 165gr Landshark hunting - that combo went clear through a pig.

To the extent there's a "trick" to it's leave them long - the 600s are harder to mess up by overcutting, but if you don't cut the 500s they'll work just fine.

Comment

You can look up Stu Millers chart!

Comment

Working...
                              X