Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FOC important or not?

Hello!

I want to build some arrows for hunting.

broadheads 180grs Silverflames
    Bow 50# @30 my drawlengh is a bit under 31

Assumed i have two differetn arrrows with the same weight

1, a light arrow with a heavy brass insert and the 180grs Broadhead (example: a light Easton Axis carbon shaft with the heavy brass HIT insert)
    2, or a heavier arrow witha light insert and the same 180grs head... (for example: a heavy Easton Axis FMJ with the light HIT Insert)

How important is the FOC of an arrow (for hunting)?

I read what DR Ed Ashby wrote about the FOC and it sound logical for me that a high FOC is better for arrowflight and penetration...

But others say the whole FOC think is simply absurd and it maks no difference..

What do you think? Is FOC important or is it nuts?

Thanks

regards form the Austrian Guy

Daniel

I think it helps now I don't think that you need an 80%Foc. You can take a good thing too far.

Comment

My arrows seem to tune out real good at 16-20% FOC depending on the arrow type.
      I pull 26.5" on 50 to 55lb bows and my best shooting arrows are GoldTip 35/55's cut to 29.5" with 50gr brass inserts and Sasquatch BH's that weigh 167.5grs with the adapter glued in. Fletchings are three 5.5" banana cuts with left helical. Total arrow weight is +- 490grs.

Comment

Dr Ashby is spot on.

I shoot 35/55 GTs with 100gr brass insert, 200gr points, 300gr up front, arra weight is 570grs..out of a 57# Dwyer longbow. If I do my part I it will shoot 3" groups at 20 yards WITHOUT FEATHERS.....BARESHAFT!

Recovery is quick, penetration is excellent. I've shot thru the shield on a 250# boar into the opposite shoulder....dead in ten steps.

troy

Comment

I think that tuning is most important. if the arrow is tuned well for the bow, it will perform well. If it is not tuned well, it will not perform well. I never considered FOC until a couple years ago and have killed a LOT of animals with arrows in the normal FOC range. I now use a high FOC (around 22%) because this is easily accomplished with relatively light carbon arrow shafts that you can add so much weight to up front. I have not done any scientific study but it makes sense that the higher FOC would be a good thing, but, only if the arrow is the right one (tuned well) for the bow.

JMHO,

Bisch

Comment

The perfect arrow would have All the weight in the front. I haven't checked mine(FOC) but my hunting arrows are 600gr and 300 gr are up front. They fly good and hit hard.

Comment

Dr Ashby's research has a lot of merit, but I think the greatest benefit to the EFOC theory is - "it allows folks shooting lower draw weights to bump up their arrow spine, and use a heavier head to get proper tuning with the stiffer spine. The stiffer arrow will recover from paradox quicker, and the quick recovery is more due to the static spine of the shaft than to the EFOC.

Folks who shoot heavy/heavier draw weights with heavy arrows probably could not tell the difference between a nomal FOC, and EFOC. I know I can't. With my setups the results are usually about the same as long as I have the arrows tuned well.

As far as single bevel VS double bevel, there again I can't see any difference. With my setups one works as well as the other.

Nothing trumps tuning combined with an adequate arrow weight, and a well designed sharp broadhead for penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by DTala View Post
                Dr Ashby is spot on.

I shoot 35/55 GTs with 100gr brass insert, 200gr points, 300gr up front, arra weight is 570grs..out of a 57# Dwyer longbow. If I do my part I it will shoot 3" groups at 20 yards WITHOUT FEATHERS.....BARESHAFT!

Recovery is quick, penetration is excellent. I've shot thru the shield on a 250# boar into the opposite shoulder....dead in ten steps.

troy
                35/55 (this is nearly the same like a Easton spine of 500 right?) with 300grs front on a 57# longbow??

Ok this is interesting! i would have thought that this setup would be way to flexible..

i thought ill need a 300 spined arrow @32" with 230grs front with a 50# recurve?? what do you think would this be too stiff?

What is a proper tuned arrow?

bare shaft tested out to 20 yards? or a papertuned arrow??

How do you tune your arrows?? ( I alway try that the arrow fly straight and hit where i look..., sometimes a bareshaft test out to 15yards..)

Thanks alot! You always help me alot!!

TBH is an really great site with alot of nice people here!!!

Daniel

Comment

Daniel,

Out of my pronghorn longbow - I draw 61 # out of her and I use a 500 spine with a 250 grain tip. Out of my Morrision I draw 62 lbs. and I have to use a 340 spine with a 250 grain tip. I get the same impact point with both but, the 340 is considerably heavier and stiffer. I would seriously think you could get away with a 500 spine and 250 grains on the front this will equate to about 9.6 GPP. You will still have 20% FOC - I tend to stay around 17-20% and get great arrow flight as well as penetration.

Comment

I'm shooting full length GT 35/55 with a 100 grain brass insert and 250 grains of broadhead/adapter out of a #41 @ 29" recurve. Right around 23.5% FOC. They're not speed deamons by any measure (640 grains) but the fly true and hit hard.

I also tried full length GT 15/35, same setup except I used the factory insert (15 grains) instead of the 100 grain brass and 1 gpi lighter. This is a 525 grain arrow at about 20% FOC.

I can say the 35/55 has far outpenetrated the 15/35, I just can't say if the result is from the added weight or the extra 2% in FOC. According to Dr Ashby1% more FOC (above 19%) is = to 2.41% increased penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      I think that tuning is most important. if the arrow is tuned well for the bow, it will perform well. If it is not tuned well, it will not perform well. I never considered FOC until a couple years ago and have killed a LOT of animals with arrows in the normal FOC range. I now use a high FOC (around 22%) because this is easily accomplished with relatively light carbon arrow shafts that you can add so much weight to up front. I have not done any scientific study but it makes sense that the higher FOC would be a good thing, but, only if the arrow is the right one (tuned well) for the bow.

JMHO,

Bisch
                      Jerry, you made me think of something there, that I think needs to be mentioned.

I have notice that a bad flying EFOC arrow will out penetrate a bad flying Standard FOC arrow.

I'm fairly convinced that the EFOC is probably more forgiving to arrow flight where penetration is concerned where the arrow overall weights are equal,

but

again - with heavy draw weights combined with heavy arrows, and both EFOC, and Standard FOC properly tuned, I can't see any difference in penetration.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                      X