Bay Boats....Ranger 2410...Any thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bay Boats....Ranger 2410...Any thoughts

I have been bitten by the fishing bug but more particular the striper bug and looking at getting a good all-round fishing boat. I have been looking at a bunch on line and this seems to be the best. I could even fish for largemouths if I wanted. I have always been a bass fisherman but the local lakes aren't that good for LMB fishing but they are dang good for stripers. There is also the Texas Stripers Association that host Tournaments monthly it looks like. I need to find something that keeps me occupied. Given up golf and need a replacement.

A buddy of my just bought the same boat. He loves it! Good riding, dry boat. Fit and finish look very good as well.

Comment

Go with a Skeeter you wont ever regret it

Comment

What lakes aren't that good for Largemouth
        Jeff Young

Comment

Renger is a nice boat but, do yourself a favor first and ride in a Champion 24 Bay Champ. They are similar in price and features/function but, the Champion boats have an unbelievable ride and are really super dry. The hull for the Bay Champ was actually designed by Wylie Nagler who now owns and builds Yellowfins (best bay boat out there hands down). I would say go Yellowfin but, they will be 80-100K for the same options.

The Ranger is a nice boat and there is nothing wrong but, that Champion is un believable.

Also, I put mine to the real test several times a year when the weather is right......offshore. This pictures were 45 miles offshore, a little past Big Southern.

Comment

You're going to have a really hard time finding the Ranger!

Skeeter makes an awesome 24' bay boat. Take a look at it online. ZX24Bay. They are a Texas company.

Champion may or may not be in business in a few months. They have gone under once already.

Comment

You will not be disapointed with the Ranger by any means. I am not a fan of Champion because they simply weigh a ton, but they are both good. I am not sure of your price limit, but you may want to take a look at Shearwater. It is an incredible boat that is just as dry as the above boats, will handle water just as good, but is lighter with a much shallower draft, and will flat leave those other two in the dust when it comes to speed. They are quite pricy though.

Comment

only two thoughts.... heavy and expensive...

well built boats... I just personally don't see the point of a full linered bay boat.

Comment

If I were going to get a boat made for "big water" and still be able to run shallow when needed, good speed and an excellent ride I would go with the Haynie HO 24'. These boats are not "cookie cutter" boats and you can get them "custom" made to your liking as far as layout goes. Give Chris' marine in Aransas Pass a ring. You won't be dissappointed. My brother in law had the first "bigfoot" model in Rockport and had it for 10 years before finally selling it simply because he didn't "need" it. He sold it for more than 1/2 of what he paid for it and it was about as "plain" as they come. I see it every once in a while down in the Upper Laguna and I always ask the guys that bought it "how's she doin" and they say that buying it was the best thing they ever did. I always kid them about being "thiefs" because of the deal they got. I always felt it was a little underpowered with a 150 on it but it would still do 43-45mph with a tunnel. Good Luck.

>E

Comment

Take a look at a Pathfinder also. Very nice and very fast.

Comment

Champion may or may not be in business in a few months. They have gone under once already.[/QUOTE]

Wow.... I did not know that

Comment

Ranger is a great boat if you can swing the price.

Just my opinion but bot Sea Pro and Gator Bay are great boats and offer a great ride and a lot of features for the price. Gator bay which also make pro gator bass boats guarantee to have the strongest hull on the maket.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Brandon, the Ranger is a good boat and will do what you want on the lakes. The only downside is, like Kyle said, they are heavy. This is fine for the lakes, but becomes a problem when trying to get up on plane in some of the waters along the coast.

I have to agree with Aironeout. The Haynie will be my next boat.

What ever you do, I strongly suggest you ride in any boat you are considering under less than ideal water conditions to see how they handle rougher water. Buchanan can get pretty nasty.

Also research the dealership you buy from. Service after the sale is BIG. I like the boat I have now, but would never buy another due to the dealer I'd have to buy from.

Comment

Lots of good info here regarding the topic. The Ranger, Champion, Skeeter and Gator Bay are heavy rigs in this class, most all of them are heavy in the 24' class.

The Pathfinder, Haynie and Shearwater are super but they are not really comparable to the boats listed above. They are lighter and I would class them more into a shallow water type rig because they will go places the others will not. Having said that, these three are not really an "offshore" boat either.

I have buddies with the Pathfinder and Shearwater and they made the purchase to have a boat to fish Rayburn, Toledo, Sabine Lake and the Jetties. They will make a few trips to the short rigs on the perfect days of favorable conditions.

One thing regarding these boats, do you have enough tow vehicle to handle them? Those in the first paragraph will need at least an F250 class rig IMO, they are big and heavy boats.

Comment

I second looking at pathfinders, haynies, or the tran...the 24 foot XLR8 is a great boat. My avatar is the xlr8

all of these are "fishing first".... dual livewells, lots of storage, fuel effecient, and good re sale value.

the XLR8, with a suzuki 250 will do about 55-57 top end depending on load, and is very dry riding... we cross baffin frequently, and very seldom get wet.

the pathfinder is also nice. I have a buddy with one, and they are just a top notch boat....

the 24 foot haynie is also very nice... got a another buddy with one of those, and it's probably the fastest boat out of the three. functionally, it's more similar to the tran than the pathfinder....

Like Mike said, just about any of these high quality 24' bay boats can be ran offshore on smooth days.

I also have it on very good information that majek is coming out with a 25' xtreme in the near future.
                              Last edited by kyle1974; 06-19-2009, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X